Remote RSS Feed Problem

Remote RSS Feed Problem

by Mike Smith -
Number of replies: 10
Sorry if I'm missing something obvious....

(Using Moodle 1.5)

When adding a RSS feed in Add/Edit Feeds the URL validates ok but Moodle gives an error message "There was an error loading this rss feed"
If I ignore this and proceed I get the error message "Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/html/moodledev/blocks/rss_client/block_rss_client.php on line 187" above the block on the course page

Could it be anything to do with the College firewall or proxy server?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mike Smith

Re: Remote RSS Feed Problem

by Daryl Hawes -
I wonder what version of the file you have? Line 187 in the file version 1.36 for me is " } "
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Mike Smith -
Have file version 1.35

In reply to Mike Smith

by Daryl Hawes -
Could you check the block out of cvs and try the latest file just to be sure
1) The problem remains
2) The line number of the problem in the latest code

Also if possible please post the feed that you are trying to add when you get this error.
Thanks
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Mike Smith -
The problem persists...

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/html/moodledev/blocks/rss_client/block_rss_client.php on line 201

The feed I'm trying to add is http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories

I now seem to be getting a new error when I click on Add/Edit Feeds  on the "Configuring a Remote RSS Feeds block" page:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: rss_get_form() in /var/www/html/moodledev/blocks/rss_client/config_instance.html on line 159

I hope I'm not missing something obvious here!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mike Smith

by Daryl Hawes -
I suspect that the problem may be a firewall or something blocking your server's access. When you click to verify the remote feed you are doing it with your client's web browser. When the feed is fetched for moodle it is done by the server where moodle resides. Is it possible you can try to fetch that URL from your server directly? (sit at the console or ssh in to the server perhaps)

Call to undefined function: rss_get_form
Regarding the rss_get_form error you'll need to also update your moodle/lib/rsslib.php file to the latest version as well.
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by kathy hooper -
I have a similar problem on 1.5.
I also run 1.4 on the same computer with the old rss feed block and there is no problem with this.
The message I get with 1.5 is
There was an error trying to add a new rss feed:http://news.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/science/nature/rss.xm

I have just uploaded the latest files and still no change

kathy
In reply to kathy hooper

by Daryl Hawes -
Please see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=25534
I have updated the rss_client files to give me more information on what is happening since I cannot reproduce these problems. Please turn debugging on in your site with the latest rss_client code from CVS HEAD and share the results.
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by kathy hooper -

Thanks for the help

I have put in the latest code from cvs head and enabled debug.

This is what I get-

Table 'dogscien_newmood.mdl_block_rss_client' doesn't exist

SELECT * FROM mdl_block_rss_client ORDER BY title

I also get this on the front page - different problem

Notice: Undefined property: footer in /home/dogscien/public_html/moodle/blocks/moodleblock.class.php on line 215

I updated this one as well to 1.49

the line it refers to -

print_side_block($this->_title_html(), $this->content->text, NULL, NULL, $this->content->footer, $this->html_attributes());

Any ideas?

thanks

kathy

In reply to Daryl Hawes

by kathy hooper -

fixed the rss feed problem by adding the required table.

Don't know about the other problem though.