Newbie Questions

Newbie Questions

by Mark Dickinson -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, 

I am just starting out in the moodle world using Moodle V2.5 and am being thrown in at the deep end straight away, I have a moodle training course in two weeks time but i would like to play around and gain as much information as possible beforehand, so any help would be appreciated.

I am looking at developing a number of courses each with lots of lessons inside ie smaller topics.

Im hoping that ive started this correctly, this being a topic in a course.

Introduction - as is says, just a basic slide for the topic
CBT - The content for the topic
Questions and Answers - revisionary questions on the topic
Quiz will be available at the end with questions from the topics but will be recorded

I have the following questions that id like to be able to be answered:

1. Can a course be run offline on a laptop that will not have internet connection.

2. On reconnection to the internet, the test results etc be uploaded to the central server?

3. Can i get the topic to change colour similar to html i.e. when you have visited/completed the lesson? i.e. Blue not visited, purple visited,

4. With my course having over 10 Modules, could i make these modular so that i could give the individuals a module at a time that they could take away.

Many thanks for your help in the above

Kind Regards

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Dickinson

Re: Newbie Questions

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there  As a by the way  - Moodle HQ is running a totally free Moodle for beginners course starting Sunday here http://learn.moodle.net which you can do at your leisure, so you could also sign up for that.

To answer your questions briefly:

1. Can a course be run offline on a laptop that will not have internet connection

Yes if you set up Moodle on a laptop and restore the courses into the new Moole

2. On reconnection to the internet, the test results etc be uploaded to the central server?

Ah -not easily -no. I am not technical but I do know that some places run Moodle locally on their server and then connect at the end of the day to an online version which updates the stuff - but I don't know how to do that

3. Can i get the topic to change colour similar to html i.e. when you have visited/completed the lesson? i.e. Blue not visited, purple visited,

Well you can investigate Activity completion which puts checkmarks/ticks against completed activities so does similar to what you want.

4. With my course having over 10 Modules, could i make these modular so that i could give the individuals a module at a time that they could take away.

Within a course you could make  one module per topic and set dates of access on them so individuals only do one  at certain times -have a look at Conditional activities Or you could have separate courses with separate enrolment dates for each module, depending on the size of the modules, ie, work involved.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Mary has given you some very good advice and ideas.  I will add a little to what she said.

1) What I think you are trying to do, let students work offline, would be very difficult.  Moodle is designed to be used over the Internet.  In my world travels (Italy, France, Mexico, Canada, US, China), there has always been an Internet connection.  However, I can appreciate that there are probably many places in the world without an Internet connection.

2) As Mary said, not easily.  No.

3) I do this in my Moodle.  I use the Formal White theme, and I had to add some custom CSS code within the Formal White configuration.  Very simple.

a:link { color: #990000;}
a:visited { color: #cc6666;}

Many themes allow you to add custom CSS code.

4) Mary is right on!

Hope this helps you.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mark Dickinson -

Hi,

Thanks for replying, sorry its been a long time replying.. ended up working on other stuff... Im now back onto moodle and I don't suppose with the evolution and development that anything has changed in regard to offline or you know of someone that has actually produced something like this?

Many Thanks

Mark