login problems in 1.4.5 and 1.4.4

login problems in 1.4.5 and 1.4.4

by Pam Atkins -
Number of replies: 16
hi folks,
I recently installed 1.4.4 for a small college, showed them how to do and then let them loose on it. they mucked around with it and set it for manual enrolment. they rang back that night saying they were unable to login under any of the usernames they had . I tried it as admin and the login page just lead to servername/moodle/login/index.html
which appeared as a totally blank page.
So I did a fresh install of 1.4.5 and within 12 hours exactly same result. We are using an Apache server and MySQL as a db. My own moodle that I use for teaching has never done anything like this and I am fishing around in the db for what is causing this new installation to foul up.
Any clues?
thanks,
dedide
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pam Atkins

Re: login problems in 1.4.5 and 1.4.4

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The blank page generally indicates that an error has occurred - the best course of action is to track down the error. Check your apache error log immediately after the blank page has occurred - hopefully it will be at the end of the log. If that doesn't work, it's worth checking that error logging is actually enabled in your php.ini file (look for line starting log_errors and check it is 'On' - restart apache if you change it and try again).
In reply to Howard Miller

by Pam Atkins -

thanks for the feedback Howard.

the error log didn't say anything except that users couldn't login

I did a new install somewhere else and then I uploaded the old database to the new site which had been working just fine. As soon as I ran the sql script, the site went down again, so I am assuming that it is something in the database rather than the scripts. It is proving very frustrating to try to track this one down.

Any suggestions would be very very welcome. Any further info needed?

thanks

In reply to Pam Atkins

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Still pushing for that error message smile Did you check in php.ini that error logging was on - having the error that caused the problem should nail it straight away.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Pam Atkins -

thanks for the persistance Howard

here is the log

[09-May-2005 22:27:35] [client xxx.xxx.x.252] http://onlinebha.com/moodle Failed Login: madmin Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; MSN 6.1; MSNbMSFT; MSNmen-au; MSNc00; v5m)
[09-May-2005 23:13:25] [client xxx.xxx.x.252] http://onlinebha.com/moodle Failed Login: cto Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; MSN 6.1; MSNbMSFT; MSNmen-au; MSNc00; MSNc00)

I did the xxx in the above for the client's privacy

thanks

In reply to Pam Atkins

by Howard Miller -
That's the Moodle log - I mean the apache web server error log.
In reply to Pam Atkins

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Read the installation documentation about DirectoryIndex ... you need to add index.php in there.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Pam Atkins -

Hi Martin and Howard,
the blank page is http://onlinebha.com/moodle/login/index.php

I put in a few echo statements into this file to see how far it parsed as shown below

if ($frm) {
        $frm->username = trim(moodle_strtolower($frm->username));
echo ("jelloa");
        if (($frm->username == 'guest') and empty($CFG->guestloginbutton)) {
            $user = false;    /// Can't log in as guest if guest button is disabled
            $frm = false;
            echo ("jellob");
        } else {
            $user = authenticate_user_login($frm->username, $frm->password);
            echo ("jelloc");
        }

and it never gets to jelloc

I put the DirectoryIndex line in a .htaccess file in the main moodle directory but that didn't change the situation

once again thanks for any light that can be shed on this.

PS I am promoting Moodle in an RTo forum next week (against commercial offerings)

In reply to Pam Atkins

by Alan Kessler -
take a look at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=23762, maybe it can help...

and take a look at your apache error_log
In reply to Alan Kessler

by Pam Atkins -

thanks for weighing in on this Alan.

I looked at the thread you referred to but with my embryonic php knowledge, I couldn't really follow the argument.

Also I located my Apache error log and it is empty. The login page is not throwing an external error, it is aborting at a certain point and not passing through to the "next" page.

In reply to Pam Atkins

by Robert Alessi -
FIXED:
You need to add an extra '}' that is missing at the end of the file enrol/enrol.class.php on line 352 so that it looks like this:

} /// end of class

}

?>

In reply to Robert Alessi

by Pam Atkins -
hi Robert,
I just tried this and it gave me a parse error of unexpected } in file

Pam

by Robert Alessi -
hi Penny, hi Pam,

I understand it's not the correct place to add the missing }. Anyway you'll find attached my working enroll.class.php.
I go see the thread...

by Robert Alessi -
hi,
I just updated from cvs and all is working fine smile. Many thanks, Penny! Attached the right
enrol/enrol.class.php file.
Robert

by Pam Atkins -

thanks folks

Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem I am having. As noted above, my login.php is aborting. I don't think it even gets to enrol.

this is driving me insane

In reply to Pam Atkins

by Robert Alessi -
Hi. Did you update to the latest version from cvs? Have you any access to the error logs of Apache?