Uploading a HotPotatoes Masher file to Moodle

Uploading a HotPotatoes Masher file to Moodle

by Maldwyn Pate -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all,

I've created a series of HotPotatoes JMix exercises and put them together in Masher and that worked fine. I've even added audio files and they work well. 

The problem arises when I try to put this on our Moodle (2.1). Clearly, to get the exercise to work, all the various component files (the individual JMix exercises and the audio files) have to be in the same folder. It is possible to add a folder to the Moodle but even if a student could get to the point of opening the folder, they'd have to wade through all the files to find the actual exercise file in order to open it and perform the exercise! But I haven't managed to get to the point of opening the file on the Moodle!

I wonder if anyone else has come across this problem and has managed to solve it. (We're running Moodle 2.1).

Any help would be most welcome,

Cheers,

Mal

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maldwyn Pate

Re: Uploading a HotPotatoes Masher file to Moodle

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I would suggest you try the TaskChain module which is designed for just this situation where you have several Hot Potatoes files that you wish to treat as a single Moodle activity.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

Parthed: Re: Uploading a HotPotatoes Masher file to Moodle

by Maldwyn Pate -

Many thanks Gordon.  I've installed the TaskChain Module and I wonder if you could direct me to a tutorial or manual for it.  The following link doesn't seem to work: http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/19/mysql/mod/quizport/docs/tutorials/

Regards,

Mal

In reply to Maldwyn Pate

Re: Parthed: Re: Uploading a HotPotatoes Masher file to Moodle

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Maldwyn,
Does the following URL work better for you;
regards
Gordon

Parthed: Re: Parthed: Re: Uploading a HotPotatoes Masher file to Moodle

by Maldwyn Pate -

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for your reply and for the extremely useful 'QuizPort' tutorial.

There's one bit that I'm still unsure about: When uploading the activity to 'TaskChain' (QuizPort) the tutorial says that 'the files should be placed in the "Files" area of the Moodle course.' I'm not sure what is meant by this. Is this 'File' in the 'Add a resource' drop down menu? I suspect that it isn't but I don't know where else to look.

I'd appreciate any help,

Regards,

Mal

In reply to Maldwyn Pate

Re: Parthed: Re: Parthed: Re: Uploading a HotPotatoes Masher file to Moodle

by Gordon Bateson -

Thank you for your patience Mal. I will try to respond tomorrow.

Gordon

Parthed: Re: Parthed: Re: Parthed: Re: Uploading a HotPotatoes Masher file to Moodle

by Maldwyn Pate -

Many thanks Gordon. I'm sorry to be such a pain. 

Regards,
Mal 

In reply to Maldwyn Pate

Re: Parthed: Re: Parthed: Re: Parthed: Re: Uploading a HotPotatoes Masher file to Moodle

by Gordon Bateson -

Hello again Mal,
while much of the QuizPort manual applies verbatim to the TaskChain module, the explanation of files requires some modification.

As you may have realized, files work differently in Moodle 2.x from Moodle 1.x. In Moodle 2.x, files are no longer associated with a "course", rather, they are connected with an "activity" or "resource". Thus, when you add a file in Moodle 2.x, you generally add it directly in the place where you wish to use it. i.e. within the activity or resource, and not in the "course". (also, see "Notes on files" below)

In TaskChain and HotPot activities in Moodle 2.x you add the files in the "Source file" area that is displayed when you add a TaskChain activity, or add/edit a TaskChain task. Put all the files you need for particular TaskChain in the "Source file" area. This means you put ALL the Hot Potatoes files and all the secondary files, such as images, audio and media players, that are to be used in the TaskChain.

If you have a lot of files, you may find it easier to zip up the files on your PC and upzip them in the "Source files" area of your TaskChain activity.

If you are using Moodle 2.3 or later, and your files are located in a central place, such as your "Private files" or an external "repository", then you can create an "alias" to the files from your TaskChain activity. The alias will ensure that changes made to the centrally located file are immediately available in the aliased copies of that file. However, as Philippe has pointed out, when backing up and restoring the Moodle 2.x courses, the alias of any file will be converted to a "hard copy" of the file that is detached from the original source file, and so does not reflect changes made to the original source. This has advantages and disadvantages, but in my opinion is not the optimal arrangement for most HotPot/TaskChain users.

But, I digress ...

When you have added all your files to the "Source file" area, choose one file as the "Main file" (click on the file and select "Main file"). Then you can scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Save changes" button.

Hey presto - you've done it!

all the best
Gordon

Notes on files:

1. it is possible to set up a "Legacy course files" area on Moodle 2.x sites, which acts like the course files in Moodle 1.x
  2. you can share files between modules quite easily by putting the files in your private files area in Moodle 2.x and adding them as an "alias" (available only in Moodle 2.3 and later)
  3. you can also share files via an external "repository" (again you can add them as aliases in Moodle 2.3 or later), but you will need to work with your Moodle administrator to set one of those up
Attachment Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 8.34.02 AM.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Parthed: Re: Parthed: Re: Parthed: Re: Parthed: Re: Uploading a HotPotatoes Masher file to Moodle

by Maldwyn Pate -

Very many thanks, Gordon, for your truly epic and comprehensive answer. I really appreciate the thoroughness of your advice and the time it must have taken you to compose it. 

I won't have an opportunity to work on the exercise until tomorrow but reading through your posting, it appears very clear to me. 

Heartfelt thanks,

Mal