Testing of new module: Question Practice

Testing of new module: Question Practice

by Jayesh Anandani -
Number of replies: 16

Hello all,

After the project Self-assessment activity using the question bank was chosen as the project for GSOC-13, this is the first time the module is being put forward to community for testing.

The module is called Question Practice. The features of module can be found at following link:

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Self-assessment_activity_using_the_question_bank

1.) In this module teachers will be creating a new activity called "qpractice" which will take help of existing Question bank to store questions.

2.) The students can select the options as per their own convience and maintain the records of their sessions.

3.) The teacher can insert the questions in question bank by using the area of a particular practice created by question bank.

4.) Teacher creates a new activity instance. Now teacher can go to space used by that instance in Question bank. The teacher can create different categories over there and insert questions over there. Remember the students won't be able to see sub-categories. Students will be shown only the parent category of each category.

5.) In this module the teacher need to insert question using question bank only. The questions should be present in context of practice itself.

6.) You can work around with some easy options. Some features such as Time Achiever and Goal achiever have not been implemented yet in this version. 

The module can be downloaded from:

https://github.com/jacks92/moodle-mod_qpractice

Looking forward for the reviews from all the members so that this module can be made more user-friendly in order to use.

Thanks!

Edited 28 Aug to add: The git hub repo is being constantly updated after members report the error or some functionality that were missing. Since this is first version all new functionalities can not be accommodated in this version itself.

As far as errors are concerned, they are being monitored continuously and modifications regarding same are being made on repo too.

(Edited by Helen Foster to delete the attachment and add additional text as requested by Jayesh - original submission Monday, 26 August 2013, 7:19 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jayesh Anandani

Re: Testing of new module: Question Practice

by Jayesh Anandani -

Please download the zip from the link. Don't refer to attachment provided.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I am rather excited by this module. I installed it on Moodle 2.5 and set up an instance but when I attempted to start a session I got the following error

Debug info: Field 'sessionnumber' doesn't have a default value
INSERT INTO mdl_qpractice_session (time,goalpercentage,noofquestions,practicedate,typeofpractice,categoryid,userid,qpracticeid,questionusageid) VALUES(?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)
[array (
0 => NULL,
1 => NULL,
2 => NULL,
3 => 1377550275,
4 => '1',
5 => '25',
6 => '2',
7 => 1,
8 => 640,
)]
Error code: dmlwriteexception
Stack trace:
  • line 426 of \lib\dml\moodle_database.php: dml_write_exception thrown
  • line 1089 of \lib\dml\mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
  • line 1131 of \lib\dml\mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->insert_record_raw()
  • line 78 of \mod\qpractice\locallib.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->insert_record()
  • line 71 of \mod\qpractice\startattempt.php: call to qpractice_session_create()
In reply to Marcus Green

by Jayesh Anandani -

Hello Marcus,

I fear that field sessionnumber is not the part of the code. I will check out that error soon but since the field is not the part of code you shouldn't get that error. Sorry for same. 

Your database should look something like above once you have installed the new module.

I will get back with the problem.

Thanks!

In reply to Marcus Green

by Jayesh Anandani -

Hello Marcus,

Sorry for the error. The github is updated now. Please download the latest version from git. Please uninstall and install the module again. There won't be any errors.

Thanks!

by Joshua Bragg -

I messed with this briefly tonight but I'll give it a more thorough look tomorrow when I'm more awake.

A couple of observations in no particular order:

1. If a teacher clicks on "Create a New Practice" and there are no questions in the context yet, it should display a message explaining this issue to the teacher rather than just giving no options in the dropdown category selector.
  2. If you click on past sessions when there have been no past sessions as a teacher then it should display a nice message rather than an error page.
  3. When logged in as a teacher, I could make a New Practice Session.  That was confusing to me initially.  Wouldn't it make sense to label this as a preview and keep it out of the past sessions menu?
  4. When using adaptive mode and checking an answer twice I got the following error:

Debug info: QUBAid: 5, slot: 1, post data: stdClass Object
(
[sesskey] => goppOQVBxL
[slots] => 1
[resultid] => 151
[scrollpos] => 102
[q5:1_:sequencecheck] => 2
[q5:1_answer] => 0
[q5:1_-submit] => Check
)

Error code: submissionoutofsequence

Stack trace:
  • line 627 of \question\engine\questionusage.php: question_out_of_sequence_exception thrown
  • line 515 of \question\engine\questionusage.php: call to question_usage_by_activity->validate_sequence_number()
  • line 94 of \mod\qpractice\attempt.php: call to question_usage_by_activity->process_all_actions()

5. It seems odd to have the level of detail shown in the past sessions page for a teacher without user information attached to it.   I've been on record as wanting to see individual student data.  On the other hand, I'd rather see aggregate stats for practice sessions rather than a long listing of individual students if the user information would not be added.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Bohumil Havel -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi, module worked OK, but fell into error when I ran out of the question bank.

Bohus

Attachment practice.png
In reply to Bohumil Havel

by Jayesh Anandani -

Hi  Bohumil Havel ,

It was good to hear that module was working OK. Can you please post the screenshot of error because the screenshot you showed was warning for setting page URL. A screenshot regarding error will be very helpful.

Thanks!

by Bohumil Havel -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

I'm sorry, it was my misinterpretation. I turned off debugging information and the message screen is okay.

Bohus

Attachment sorry.png
In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Jayesh Anandani -

Hello Joshua,

Thanks for the feedback! I will like to answer to your queries in points as you asked.

1. Yes since this was the first version, may be it went out of mind to do that but that will be implemented in coming versions.

2 and 5. If you look at code the capabilites part for the module is missing. Once capabilties part is added the confusion for teacher and student side will be clear.

4. Error solved. Code now works fine. Please refer to git hub repo.

by Joshua Bragg -

Here are a few more thoughts again in no particular order:

1. In a student account, I can see the data for all the other practice sessions that have occurred, including practice sessions by both teachers and other students.
  2. The term "No. of questions attempted" on the Past Sessions page should be changed to "No. of questions viewed" to better reflect what it is showing.
  3. There should be some sort of navigational link back to the main qpractice page from the Past sessions page beyond just the breadcrumb trail.
  4. I think teachers and students need to see the inside of an old practice session to be able to identify questions that are marked incorrectly or have other problems.  In current form, unless a student screen shots the question, I would never be able to figure out which question they were talking about.
  5. The marks obtained seems to increment the denominator by 1 more than it should.  For example, when I created a new session, attempted 2 questions and then quit the session from the page wit the 2nd question, it still showed the denominator of marks obtained as 3.
  6. In my brief few runs though, I had 3 matching questions come up from a huge bank.  Two of three were graded incorrectly because the answers I entered and checked were not the same "submitted" answers that were displayed again after the question was checked.  I haven't had time to play with this yet but its on my to do list.

It is exciting to see this coming along.  I for one am very excited about the possibility of using this in future.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Jayesh Anandani -

1. That is due to capabilties part I suppose but it will be modified soon.

2. String changed.

3.Link added.

4. Since this is basic version we were aiming at a basic table for that. For later versions that will be a good option to look upon and it will be added for sure.

5. I think marks issue has been resolved now. Please check the latest git hub repo.

6. Can you just explain the last point again? 

Thanks!

by Joshua Bragg -

Sorry I'm just now getting back to this.  Yesterday was a bit crazy.

I just updated from Github.  My original issue with the matching questions is something I can't test right now because Immediate Feedback appears to be broken now.  When pressing check, it immediately advances to the next question with no feedback shown.  Please let me know when you've fixed this so I can attempt the matching bug again.  I only tried it with Immediate Feedback last time since Adaptive was broken so now I can't replicate it.

Also the session summary page (the one with the current stats for the session and stop session and submit or resume session)  now appears to be incorrectly determining the marks.  It appears not to count a question's marks until you have advanced to the next page.  So if you do the following:
Answer question 1
Check question 1 - Correct.
Click View Next Questions
Answer question 2
Check question 2 - Correct.
Stop Practice
The summary page will say that you earned 1/1 marks.  It should say 2/2.  This does appear to be correct on the Past Session page though.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Jayesh Anandani -

Hello Joshua,

The code has been updated. All question behaviours are working now.

As far as the marks are concerned , the code has been written in that way. When you attempt the last question their marks won't be displayed to you on summary screen as the question might be attempted again by the user when he resumes practice. So the final marks gets displayed once you stop the practice by clicking stop button on summary page.

When you stop the practice you can see the updated score in you past sessions list. I know that is not the appropiate way to do it , but currently it shows right score when you stop the session. I am working on that and will change it asap.

Thanks

by Joshua Bragg -

I finally got a chance to test the matching questions again.  Thankfully the issue I saw initially has been fixed somewhere along the way.

by Jayesh Anandani -

Hello all, 

The git hub repo is being constantly updated after members report the error or some functionaliy that were missing. Since this is first version all new functionalities can not be accomodated in this version itself.

As far as errors are concerned, they are being monitored continuously and modifications regarding same are being made on repo too. 

Thanks!

by Jayesh Anandani -

Latest version including backup and restore is available on the github link.