Can Moodle support tricky enrolment processes?

Can Moodle support tricky enrolment processes?

by Jon Evans -
Number of replies: 4

Hi - Moodle looks great! We're intending to use it for our course management for our 1400 staff organisation and for training to about 100 partner community services organisations that access our training centre.

It's the registration/enrolment bit that's worrying me a bit... I'm presuming that we'll need to get an online registration system custom built, but maybe I've underestimated Moodle? Could I give you the general idea of what we need to do?

We have staff who exist in the corporate HR system (Empower-HR) which also records who their boss is. Our training system is in an Access DB (about 35 tables). When a staff member wants to do training (and thus become a record in our DB), their boss needs to approve their application first (online, probably email) before it hits out Access DB and gives them access to the Moodle site for that course. That's Trick 1.

Trick 2 is that a partner organisation needs to nominate some managers who do the same thing for their staff. First, the organisation needs to be created in our system with an online endorsement from one of our managers. Next, when their staff see one of our courses they need to apply online and their manager needs to approve their application (online, probably email again).

That's the basic idea... do you have any suggestions/ideas/advice about doing this sort of stuff with Moodle?

Best regards, Jon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Evans

Re: Can Moodle support tricky enrolment processes?

by Martín Langhoff -
There's plenty of discussion on the Enrolment forum. Have you read the threads there? You may want to actually post there.

(The answer, of course, is yes, but you'll find more in the Enrolment forum, of course smile.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Jon Evans -
Ah, of course smile I'll hike over there... thanks!
In reply to Jon Evans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You can do this now like this.

1. Allow users to create their own accounts
  2. Have an enrolment key (password) on each course.
  3. When users try to get into a course, they get asked for the key. Instructions are included asking them to contact the teacher. You could add more instructions including forms, links etc in the course description to customise this yourself.
  4. When the teacher/manager approves it through whatever means, they can email the key to the user, or enrol them manually.

There are more complex things you can do with flatfile enrolments (regular importing of a CSV file and so on) but this should do pretty well. Give it a shot.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jon Evans -

Thanks for that Martin! So I can be confident that the capacity is be there.

I guess my main problem will be making the 'by whatever means' as automated and foolproof as anything that's ever been made!! LOL!!

Cheers, Jon