Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

by Daniel Henrique da Silva Costa -
Number of replies: 30

Hi everyone. I came to present to you the new era of Moodle. Waiting anxiously your feedbacks. Thanks.

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Friday, 23 August 2013, 3:05 PM)Sadly this link is not permitted by Moodle so I have removed it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Henrique da Silva Costa

Re: Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

bom dia Daniel
Obrigado por compartilhar este belo tema smile

Thank you for sharing this beautiful theme.

Mary

by Julian Ridden -

I was really hoping that releasing Essential would kickstart a new generation of Theme developers into creating more modern themes using bootstrap and if this is the "genesis" of what is to come then I will say I am very happy.

Julian

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Derek Chirnside -

Looks great Daniel.  As Mary said, beautiful.  And the docs page is helpful in the way I have found in many Wordpress themes.  And setting rich.

Well . . . .

-Derek

by Nano A -

So happy to see a new modern theme coming to Moodle.

Well done Daniel!  Your theme is really nice!

I have been using themes from themeforest for a while, and what I've seen is that the more 'tweaking' options you have in your theme, the more it will sell.  (I'm guessing this will attract a lot of customer support needed as well though) 

Good luck!  smile

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Daniel,

Cool theme with some interesting ideas.

Cheers,

Gareth

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Saturday, 24 August 2013, 11:53 PM)

I am sorry but the link you posted is not allowed in Moodle.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Mr. Bernard...is this spam?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm not sure if the original post violates forum rules.  Perhaps ask on moderators forum?  My post refers to a page on the site originally posted.

by Mary Evans -

The original post doesn't but I would consider yours does at it draws attention to the purchase link.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Mary,

You cannot be serious!

Ok, I'm asking a question in the natural context of a discussion, therefore is acceptable under: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moderator_guidelines#Unsolicited_advertising - which I may also add I'm mentioning somebody else and not me so have nothing to gain by mentioning the link.

Gareth

P.S. Calling me by my last name makes me feel like I'm back at school the first and second times!

by Mary Evans -

In reply to Mary Evans

by Julian Ridden -

I fear we will need to teach Mary about increased used of smilies. Her dark wit is causing trouble again. :P

The Genesis theme will be for sale. Themeforest contacted me a while ago to write a theme for them but I declined on my open source ethical grounds. I hate charging for moodle stuff.

As for how it sits with the "powers that be" I am not sure. I don't think there are any issues here.

Julian

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Mary Evans -

I have deleted the link(s) but left the discussion with my 'dark wit'.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Since Mrs Evans you have reverted to 'school' mode, I need to correct you by stating that there is no 'e' in my last name and thus do not have a small barrel around my neck.

by Mary Evans -

Please accept my sincere apology, Mr. Barnard, for that typo.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Apology accepted.

by Gareth J Barnard -

This http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney with an few of the Q / A's underneath and this http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html are a good pragmatic read.  In that with GPLv3 you can charge as little or as much as you like for the distribution of the software, but you must provide the source code and the recipient can charge or give the it away for free without paying you anything.

I'm currently struggling with the (unfinished) Mutant Bango theme which has the theme setting slider.  This took me over a week and a half to develop and I'm concerned that if I give this away for free (which I might be willing to do) that somebody else who offers Moodle support will charge for it.  I've been stung a few times on the forums in providing free support to people for my code only to discover at the end that it was for a client of theirs and they were paid for the fix / improvement which I did for free (in fact cost me time and electricity).

Please don't get me wrong, I don't mind creating / maintaining / improving Shoelace or Collapsed Topics, Columns, Noticeboard or Grid course formats for free, I suppose I would just like my fair share of the cake when others are selling the cake.  I do what I do because I believe in education and that everybody should have access to it.  Moodle is wonderful for that and it's great that it is free.  So I'm happy that the end user does not have to pay for it or what I've added to it or that quite legitimately companies make money out of support and training services.  But I don't believe that end users should have to pay large amounts to a third party to receive code I've spent many weeks / months / years developing.

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Gareth,
my +1 for your thoughts and concerns!

Matteo

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Gareth, if you ever do charge for your work (and I do believe you should be entitled to charge for the development that you do) what would you do to let Moodlers/potential supporters know about it? 

Is the project list for community funding the only current option (aside from blogs run by individuals...)?

Joe

In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Mary Evans -

Let's not forget about all the developers whose hard graft has gone into Moodle, todate, and get no reward for their work other than pure elation at their name being in a list of contributors.

And also let's not forget that Moodle Partners have to give a percentage of the profits made, on the work they do, back to Moodle HQ.

So money is changing hands, Moodle is doing quite nicely thank-you, so why worry about charging for your time Gareth? Also what you choose to contribute to Open Source Software is your prerogative after all.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

I do appreciate what Moodle HQ has done and have contributed both through plugins, core fixes and a donation.  I do realise it's my prerogative as what I've done has helped me learn PHP, JavaScript, jQuery and a bit of YUI.

I'm always grateful to those who have helped me and mention them in the readme's of the code I create / maintain.

In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Joseph,

I do charge for my work but it has to be specific and I need to drop big hints like putting an 'Elephant in the room' which may get spotted.  So far, it has not been much.  Lot's of people want 'improvements' but as soon as you hint that you may wish to be renumerated for it you don't see them for dust.  So my current strategy is a 'showcase' of work in the hope that people will want more.

Currently, I advertise my work / services on my own website, but I'm not permitted to use the word 'Moodle'.  This is reserved for 'Partners' - I've asked on more than one occasion (even offering 10%) and been refused.  So, somehow I have to express that I do Moodle work without using the word 'Moodle' - Catch 22.  So anything offering 'generic' services is 'verbotum' without permission, which I cannot get.

So, currently I am grateful for the crowd funding site you have put together.  I'd like to spend some time de-risking the Grid Format have any size of icon issue.  Also somebody asked the other day for Collapsed Topics to only have one section open at a time.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moodle is by its nature, and by the nature of these open communities, always open to this kind of issue. I have been caught out numerous times (and I'm sure many of us have) providing free support of my time and effort only to find out later that the person I've been supporting has been paid for the work done.

My difficulty has always been where to draw the line - should the free community be supporting professional web designers who are getting paid significant amounts of money by their client? But what about the professional webdesigner who knows webdesign inside out and backwards, but is taking their first steps with Moodle at their client's request? How many 'Moodle experts' can be experts in every area of Moodle - let alone the entire field of web design!

I have usually come down on the side of providing the support (more happily if the original poster is open about the fact they are getting paid for the work so I know in advance what is happening!) after all, I support Moodle as my job, but I still need to ask questions and get support from the community and wouldn't want anyone to start thinking that they shouldn't provide that support because I get paid by my university (is that so different from being paid as a contractor in this context?)

If I am developing a theme for someone and I'm stuck, I know I can turn to the community for help and it will be freely given, because I think that is the general ethos of the Moodle/OpenSource community. I want to be able to charge for my time spent doing the work for them but I don't feel the need to restrict my code then (the client's graphics yes, but the code, no). If they want to give it away - well, I would probably have put a version with generic graphics up on github or moodle.org anyway.

I do think though that there are people who abuse that ethos - the people who only ever ask and don't give back to the community (serially and frequently), the people who take the support and work done by others and you find it coming back circuitously passed off as their own (I hope I have always credited the people I have 'borrowed' ideas and code from in my themes - I certainly try to!). Charging for support given and contributions through the forum is not always the answer in that case. Maybe attribution is - but at the same time, I know that when I provide support/code so much (all!) of it is built on what I have learned from other people, who would I expect to be attributed? me? the person I got it from? the person who came up with the original concept? Martin smile ?

There are opportunities to charge for work done and time spent (marketing yourself within the Moodle Partner/trademark guidelines is always the hard part!), and there are always abusers of the goodwill - as there are of any system, from open source through to commercial software pirates. Finding the right balance is tough and IMHO, as befits Moodle itself, no one-size fits all solution is going to work for everyone.

But the bottom line Gareth, is that if you (or I or Mary or anyone else) release code for free, there is nothing to stop anyone else charging for that code - if there is someone out there prepared to pay money for free stuff! That said - what are they paying for? I've been paid to install Moodle before - are they paying me for the moodle code or the time and expertise to set it up. Are they paying for Mutant Banjo (if you release it free and someone else does charge for it) or are they paying for someone's time to install it and set it up for them. For me the bigger problem, once I've released it for free is someone going through and removing all the credits and passing it off as theirs. If I've released it free, that's it, its out there, its in the wild and its there for anyone else to do what they want with, and if someone else wants to pay someone to install it fine

I've been in touch recently with someone who was paid to install my flexi_ii theme on some big .gov sites - I didn't feel cross that someone had taken my work and got paid for using it, I felt pleased and proud that my work had been deemed good enough to use on those major sites (that said the person concerned was only to happy to pass the word and the credit back to me.

Richard

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Julian

I was inspired by your words "...my open source ethical ground". So I've done something about it. Sorry, it has nothing to do with themes. Anyway, see https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=197229. I've giving the code away to the community ... for the greater good. Heh.

I tip my hat to you,
Frankie Kam

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Danny Wahl -

I wish I, a lowly peon theme developer, had had the option of seeing this theme...

But I supposed I've been spared from accidentally paying for open source software!*  Thank you powers-that-be!

*even though charging for code doesn't specifically violate the GPLv3, preventing redistribution does...

by Jason Hardin -

How is this post https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=235313 different from this one? Seems to be about the same theme. The link in the above post I can access and I didn't see anything about buying the theme.

In reply to Jason Hardin

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Jason,

Thanks for that, this mean's the poster was cross-posting in multiple forums which is a forum rule violation.  I've contacted the moderator.

On the website there is a 'purchase' link / page or at least there was.

Gareth

In reply to Jason Hardin

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The link has now been removed from that post as well Jason - the purchasing link was one of the main menu items on that link and the only way you could actually get hold of the theme itself.