Themes

Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

Picture of Daniel Henrique da Silva Costa
Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

Hi everyone.

I came to present to you the new era of Moodle.

Waiting anxiously your feedbacks.

Thanks.

-- link removed --

(Edited by Howard Miller - original submission Friday, 23 August 2013, 6:37 AM - this appears to be a commercial link and is also in the wrong forum)

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Seth Mengal
Re: Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

Oh wow. This is superb!! Great workkk!!

Picture of Seth Mengal

This might be the start of an era for the first themeforest moodle paid theme aswell i am assuming!! wink

Picture of Danny Wahl
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

This might be the start of an era a GPL licensing WAR!!!! for the first themeforest moodle paid theme aswell i am assuming!! 

FTFY.  for what it's worth, I'm glad somebody's treading this ground, last time I brought it up it didn't exactly go anywhere.  But I guess it's better to ask forgiveness than permission big grin

Picture of Howard Miller
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Well - it should be in the theme forum for a start. 

Until someone convinces me otherwise it would appear to be unsolicited advertising and is not permitted here. And yes, "all rights reserved" maybe problematic but I don't particularly want to go there. 

Me at the Moodle Moot NZ11
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think it's perfectly acceptable (for anyone) to produce a Theme and charge for this.  Of course, it's even nicer if there is a free "Lite" version perhaps with fewer settings, and an advanced Paid/Pro version - I think most people in the world are very happy with this approach smile
So, is the issue here that someone is using this Forum to advertise/promote a "paid only" Theme?
In this case I would agree that it's not really acceptable use of the Forum.

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Hi Stuart,

Yes that's exactly what the issue was with the same post in the Themes forum. It looks like a really nice theme, but the post showed that the only way to get hold of the theme itself was as a paid version from the link given, so it was felt it went against the 'Unsolicited Advertising' rules of the forum.

Richard

Picture of Danny Wahl

actually, I don't really care if someone posts in the forum to show a paid theme even if they don't have a 'lite' version that's free.

I'm more speaking to the fact that Moodle is GPLv3 and the ethos around it is that plugins need to be GPLv3 too.  But themeforest traditionally uses split licensing and encourages exclusivity in their revenue splitting.

I'm happy to say that they now offer a 100% GPL licensing scheme which should resolve my concern above.

there's still the matter of how on earth you're supposed to advertise that you have a Moodle theme for sale on themeforest - if themeforest doesn't become Moodle partner (no trademark license)

Maybe they'll call it the "popular LMS that isn't blackboard themes" category mixed

Picture of Howard Miller
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

My objection - just for the record - was...
- it's the wrong forum, but several people had replied so it didn't seem appropriate to delete the lot
- it's a multiple posting (identical post in the theme forum)
- it reads like a bit of marketing which, while I concede is a point that could be argued, is surely against the spirit of the "no advertising" rule.

We've had similar conversations before and I think it's been done to death. 'Moodle' is a trademark. Ask Martin if you want to use it to advertise paid for stuff - it's his trademark. You can charge for Moodle plugins as much as you like but they are still GPL as derivative works with all that brings with it.  

Picture of Danny Wahl

Sorry if I seem argumentative or contrary Howard, I'm not intending to be I just mean I'm anticipating seeing how:

• themeforest uses the Moodle trademark
  • how Moodle Pty. responds to that
  • how the theme will be licensed on themeforest (if split)
  • how Moodle Pty. will responds to that

that's all cool

Picture of Howard Miller

Hi Danny - I didn't think you were. You make some fair points. Your post was just a convenient place to hang a reply wink

ME
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Definitely a nice look.

I found the following when playing with it:

I get a weird hover affect on the top links. The text seems to work like a slot machine and rolls. Is that an intended affect because it seems odd to me. I am using chrome when it happens

How are you handling the accessibility of the slide area? Are the changes being announced to a user with a screen reader? I dont' hear anyhting with voice over on mac. Also your top links have no alt tags they just read out as link. The home through doc links double read.

I also get Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'querySelector' of null in the chrome dev console.

Picture of Daniel Henrique da Silva Costa

Hi!

About the top links hover effects, is all ok. Is exactly this.

About the acessibility, I will fix it, very thanks.

About the javascript error, is because the search plugin who not loaded in frontpage, only in internal pages. I will fix it too.

Thanks for all!

Picture of Amaury Jose

Where can I buy this Genesis - Moodle Themes.

Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

LMGTFY

But why bother, it was originally built from a theme which is on the Moodle plugins database free of charge, so why go commercial in the first place? Take a look at Essential and Elegance, but also th emany other themes in the plugins database such as Pioneer, Adaptable and Flexibase to sname just a few.

Picture of Flemming Bornemann
Ang: Re: Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

I use Genesis, and have to find some other great Theme. One thing we really like about Genesis is the way that "My Courses" is how on the Dashboard.

Do you know of any other theme that offers that - or how to tweak it to do the trick?

Kind regards 

Flemming

Gareth J Barnard
Re: Ang: Re: Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

Hi Flemming,

How does that work from a users' perspective?  Does it get the image from the course summary or somewhere else?

Essential currently has icons for the course categories but could be changed to use images too.

Gareth

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

Hi Gareth,

Yes it uses the picture from Course summery in Description. And it looks nice showing the grid in stead of a traditional list.

Could this be done with Essential?

Kind regards 

Flemming

Gareth J Barnard
Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

Hi Flemming,

RE: Essential.

Possibly.

Gareth

There are a number of themes that use the course summary as an image source for course images in various ways (usually on the frontpage, but in flexibase and pioneer at least, as images on the course itself). So, while I don't know currently of one that uses it on the dashboard in quite the way shown, there are several that show the summary image and so could be made to look like that with some CSS.

However, one thing to bear in mind is that Genesis (in its original form, being built from another theme) I believe, predates the increased information that now comes with each course on the dashboard. For example, where, in that display, would it show the unread forum posts on the course, or the upcoming assignments that need attention, etc.

So while restyling a dashboard to look something like that should not be too difficult, you are losing significant user information unless you can also code that in to some kind of pop-up (but even then, the point is that its there and visible and obvious to the user). Of course if you are not displaying any of that now, you may not miss having it there anyway smile

Alternatively, of course, the Course Overview in the Dashboard page is simply a block, so it would be possible to create a block that makes the courses list appear the way you want and add that to any theme (use the site admin > appearance > default dashboard to apply that block as your standard Dashboard page)

It's only an avatar...
Re: Course-Overview course images
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Hi Richard

I have been working on a new theme, which you may be interested in looking at as it has the course overview tiles which are styled similarly to the course category idea that Franc Pombal put forward HERE

Here is a screen shot of my attempt so far...

I was looking at your work with the course header images and wondered if there was a way to utilise your code to get the images into the block-course-overview .coursebox for the given course-id?

Cheers

Mary

smile Yes there would be. It is certainly achievable - I had a very quick look at it after Flemming's post the other day, but haven't had chance to look at it properly.

The code I used gets the URL from the course summary file (detects whether it is an image and then uses either the first one or the last one - I think from memory, if more than one file is uploaded, the first one is used for the coursebox, like on the front page, and the last one is used for the course header image on the course page itself, but could be the other way around smile ). For the coursebox, its the one in the renderer https://github.com/roelmann/moodle-theme_flexibase/blob/master/renderers/course_renderer.php#L169 but there is similar code in the courseimage.php layout/includes file for the image used in the course page itself.

If I get chance I will take a look at it over the weekend - but its my daughter's birthday and then I am off to the ALT conference in Edinburgh Monday, so unfortunately I can't promise to succeed in completing the code to make it work, but will definitely share what I can when I can.

What I'm hoping to create is a display similar to that one but with some kind of popup or flag with pop-up to display the additional information such as the unread forum posts or assignments due etc. That might take a bit longer though smile

in the meantime, I'll try to dig out the code I sent Chris for his theme (I think it was Pioneer, but it may have been the one before that) who was the one I actually created the code for before putting it into flexibase too. That code should be easily transferable to another theme like yours, as I sent it to Chris for him to use in another theme anyway, although I have done some work and made some changes from that, but - if I can find it - it might be a good starting point.

essentially, the code loops through any images in the course summary section and creates a url for the image

$url = file_encode_url("$CFG->wwwroot/pluginfile.php",
                    '/'. $file->get_contextid(). '/'. $file->get_component(). '/'.
                    $file->get_filearea(). $file->get_filepath(). $file->get_filename(), !$isimage);

Then it applies that image in an inline style.

$contentimages .= "<div class='cimbox' style='background: #FFF url($url) no-repeat center center;
                    background-size: contain;'></div>";

That may not the best way to to it, the code could probably be built into the css renderer to apply properly rather than as an inline style but I haven't got around to refactoring it that way yet. The ability to override something that you go to that much trouble to set up rather than something that was default didn't seem that important when I was writing the code smile

Ah - lightbulb moment: Of course if all it does is add that as an inline style to the cimbox class, then the code is all there - all you need is to identify the appropriate selector for your boxes and use exactly the same technique (and 90% of the same code) in the block_course_overview renderer as I've used in the course renderer (I think! - now rushing my thoughts as I should have left work 15 minutes ago :D) alongside whatever other renderer changes you are making to display the course list in the boxes.

R

It's only an avatar...
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Ah...yes, I had forgotten to allow for the announcements that appear on the dashboard, which is proving a bit of a problem at the moment, however I think those could end up in a show/hide section below the image...I am working on that now.

I tried the lib file setting idea earlier, and that has possibilities...however I need more php skills so will be hunting for clues in other plugins..

Well have great day and hope the weekends stays fine.

Cheers

Mary

Oops didn;t see your reply while I was editing what I had written Mary, maybe there's something else useful in what I added (I hope)

It's only an avatar...

I had seen all that code in the work you did and tested it by adding an echo $courseimage in a course page and sure enough it wrote out the url. So the only thing really I need is to tie up the course ids generated in the course list with the image urls.

Turn off the WI-FI and have a Moodle free weekend!!!

ciao

Mary

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

Yes

Ang: Re: Course-Overview course images

I love it - where can I get it?  big grin

It's only an avatar...
Re: Ang: Re: Course-Overview course images

Hi, My GoLogo theme is a prototype and only for Moodle 3.1 which has not yet been released.

All I added was some CSS which you can see here...

It works but not in all cases, as I am still working on it.

Cheers

Mary

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

Hi Richard,

Sorry for my ignorance. I have now installed the Pioneer theme. And the way it shows courses on the Home tab is what I want for the Dashboard.

You suggested it could be fixed "with some CSS" - but where and how can this be done?

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

I am looking at it for flexibase - but as that is bootstrap3 based (and will use BS3 panels), you may be better off with the link Mary has posted just above this as she is also working on a similar thing with her new gologo theme with the simpler css she has provided smile

Picture of Michael Milette

Hi Amaury,

Genesis Moodle theme no longer appears to be available for sale. The author, Ararazu, has completely disappeared from the Internet. No listing on Themeforest, no demo site, no support, no presence on Facebook, it is all gone. I'm not sure what happened. One day, the author's site just disappeared and everything indicated that the theme was no longer available. I haven't been able to find any notice or discussion about it either.

It must have happened unexpectedly because the domain is still valid and resolves to an IP address of a server which has vanished.The only indication left that it ever existed, besides being in use on some Moodle sites, is the message on the following page:

[EDIT: link to commercial page removed]

It is too bad really. I know some people who really liked it and have multiple Moodle sites based on this theme. I am not sure what they will do now as they can't purchase additional licenses for new sites or even get upgrades to ensure compatibility with newer versions of Moodle. About the only thing I really didn't like about the theme was the fact that the author didn't understand that the home/front page when logged out,  front page when logged in and the dashboard were actually 3 different pages. When I contacted him about it, the response was "We are new to Moodle, not Moodle experts".

Anyway, I looked through all of the source code and there is no mention of License or Copyright, except for Font Awesome and CodeMirror, both of which are included in the theme. The default should be to assume that the author still retains copyright to the work.

The future is something to consider when purchasing a commercial theme vs customizing an open source theme. Then again, there are many Moodle themes, like BCU, that will never see a release for Moodle v3.0 (the author is now focusing on the Adaptable theme instead). But at lease someone could potentially fork it and create a Moodle 3.0 version if they wanted to.

Best regards,

Michael

(Edited by Richard Oelmann - original submission Saturday, 26 March 2016, 5:47 AM)

Gareth J Barnard

This has been discussed many times, but in summary you can't copy the code and re-release it because the images and CSS are under a separate license that protects them.  Thus even if you have a copy then you could not share it.  I'm not sure what happens if it was proven that the author had passed away, then look at copyright law for that circumstance.

However all themes in the Moodle Plugins DB do have permissive licenses for all their content.  So not an issue if the author suddenly stops supporting the theme for any reason.