General developer forum

Picture of Daniel Henrique da Silva Costa
Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

Hi everyone.

I came to present to you the new era of Moodle.

Waiting anxiously your feedbacks.

Thanks.

-- link removed --

(Edited by Howard Miller - original submission Friday, 23 August 2013, 6:37 AM - this appears to be a commercial link and is also in the wrong forum)

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
Picture of Seth Mengal
Re: Genesis - The revolution on Moodle Themes

Oh wow. This is superb!! Great workkk!!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Seth Mengal

This might be the start of an era for the first themeforest moodle paid theme aswell i am assuming!! wink

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Danny Wahl
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

This might be the start of an era a GPL licensing WAR!!!! for the first themeforest moodle paid theme aswell i am assuming!! 

FTFY.  for what it's worth, I'm glad somebody's treading this ground, last time I brought it up it didn't exactly go anywhere.  But I guess it's better to ask forgiveness than permission big grin

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well - it should be in the theme forum for a start. 

Until someone convinces me otherwise it would appear to be unsolicited advertising and is not permitted here. And yes, "all rights reserved" maybe problematic but I don't particularly want to go there. 

Me at the Moodle Moot NZ11
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think it's perfectly acceptable (for anyone) to produce a Theme and charge for this.  Of course, it's even nicer if there is a free "Lite" version perhaps with fewer settings, and an advanced Paid/Pro version - I think most people in the world are very happy with this approach smile
So, is the issue here that someone is using this Forum to advertise/promote a "paid only" Theme?
In this case I would agree that it's not really acceptable use of the Forum.

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Stuart,

Yes that's exactly what the issue was with the same post in the Themes forum. It looks like a really nice theme, but the post showed that the only way to get hold of the theme itself was as a paid version from the link given, so it was felt it went against the 'Unsolicited Advertising' rules of the forum.

Richard

Picture of Danny Wahl

actually, I don't really care if someone posts in the forum to show a paid theme even if they don't have a 'lite' version that's free.

I'm more speaking to the fact that Moodle is GPLv3 and the ethos around it is that plugins need to be GPLv3 too.  But themeforest traditionally uses split licensing and encourages exclusivity in their revenue splitting.

I'm happy to say that they now offer a 100% GPL licensing scheme which should resolve my concern above.

there's still the matter of how on earth you're supposed to advertise that you have a Moodle theme for sale on themeforest - if themeforest doesn't become Moodle partner (no trademark license)

Maybe they'll call it the "popular LMS that isn't blackboard themes" category mixed

Picture of Howard Miller

My objection - just for the record - was...
- it's the wrong forum, but several people had replied so it didn't seem appropriate to delete the lot
- it's a multiple posting (identical post in the theme forum)
- it reads like a bit of marketing which, while I concede is a point that could be argued, is surely against the spirit of the "no advertising" rule.

We've had similar conversations before and I think it's been done to death. 'Moodle' is a trademark. Ask Martin if you want to use it to advertise paid for stuff - it's his trademark. You can charge for Moodle plugins as much as you like but they are still GPL as derivative works with all that brings with it.  

Picture of Danny Wahl

Sorry if I seem argumentative or contrary Howard, I'm not intending to be I just mean I'm anticipating seeing how:

• themeforest uses the Moodle trademark
  • how Moodle Pty. responds to that
  • how the theme will be licensed on themeforest (if split)
  • how Moodle Pty. will responds to that

that's all cool

Picture of Howard Miller

Hi Danny - I didn't think you were. You make some fair points. Your post was just a convenient place to hang a reply wink

ME
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Definitely a nice look.

I found the following when playing with it:

I get a weird hover affect on the top links. The text seems to work like a slot machine and rolls. Is that an intended affect because it seems odd to me. I am using chrome when it happens

How are you handling the accessibility of the slide area? Are the changes being announced to a user with a screen reader? I dont' hear anyhting with voice over on mac. Also your top links have no alt tags they just read out as link. The home through doc links double read.

I also get Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'querySelector' of null in the chrome dev console.

Picture of Daniel Henrique da Silva Costa

Hi!

About the top links hover effects, is all ok. Is exactly this.

About the acessibility, I will fix it, very thanks.

About the javascript error, is because the search plugin who not loaded in frontpage, only in internal pages. I will fix it too.

Thanks for all!