General help

Picture of ahamed kabeer
Moodle 2.5.1 PhpMyAdmin

Newly I Installed Moodle 2.5.1 ..In 1.9.X version i access PhpMyAdmin Through localhost/xampp..but this version i could not access ..I download 2.0 phpmyadmin.zip and place moodle/local folder ..After that I can not access moodle when i enter localhost i got a blank screen...If i remove phpmyadmin folder from moodle/local i got moodle screen...other wise i could not access phpmyadmin...The same story happens in local_adminer_moodle.zip  . please help me to resolve the problem..thanks in advance. 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of amit gupta
Re: Moodle 2.5.1 PhpMyAdmin

Hi ahamed,

Why do u need to put phpmyadmin inside moodle. you can put ut in your localhost and directly access it.

I guess you want to access moodle database, through phpmyadmin.

Amit

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of ahamed kabeer

thank you ....i want to access moodle database ....previous versions first i installed the xampp,through xmapp i access moodle database ...but 2.5.1 i just download and run through startmoodle.exe....How i access moodle database ? 

Picture of Christian Herman
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Did you extract the folder from the zip archive before placing in the local directory?  You can't just drop the zip archive in there; it has to be unzipped first.

Picture of ahamed kabeer

yes ..i unzip the archive and placae the moodle/local folder ... 

Randy Thornton
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Ahamed,

phpMyAdmin is not a Moodle module or tool, but is independent of Moodle. You should not install in in moodle/local, which is only for Moodle tools.

You can install phpMyAdmin in several places your serve, but don't put it inside of Moodle. Often, it is installed in /xampp/phpmyadmin.

To connect phpMyAdmin to the Moodle database, you do that inside phpMYAdmin by connecting to the database itself. If you need help doing that, check out a good site for it such as: http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/php-mysql/

Picture of ahamed kabeer

Thank you very much sir..i have the same doubt.... now its clear ..thank you ... 

Randy Thornton

Ahamed,

You might also take a look at a new tool that is installed inside of Moodle. It is called Adminer and is installed in Moodle so it becomes part of the Site administration menu. It is tool like phpMyAdmin, but simpler.

I find it very useful for basic work in the database.

Here is the page for it: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=local_adminer

-Randy

Picture of ahamed kabeer

thank you sir.. 

Picture of David Cooke
Re: Moodle 2.2.1 Adminer guidance needed

Hi

I am needing some guidance on using Adminer.  Using Moodle 2.2.1 this is a screenshot of what I see in Adminer.  I need to backup up key files as the automated Moodle backup has never worked for me.

Can you confirm the files that need backing up and the exact process to follow.  I don't want to drop any tables again!

Many thanks

David

Randy Thornton

Select whichever is your actual Moodle db - I'm guessing that's moodledb. Then use the Dump command to dump (export) it out to a file for safekeeping.

However, doing this does not guarantee a clean database: if users are using it there may very well be transactions going on that will be out of sync (especially interactive things like quizzes, forums, grades, etc.) as the dump takes place.

That's one reason why it is better to schedule database dumps for off hours in the middle of the night instead of doing them interactively with a tool like Adminer.

For a complete backup you will also need to backup your /moodledata folder structure too.

Also, you say Moodle backups don't work for you. If you mean the Automated backups, then it's important to know they do not backup the Moodle database. They automate backing up of -courses- using the standard Moodle course backup process so they can be easily restored. They don't and aren't designed to back up the whole Moodle system.

Picture of David Cooke

Hi Randy

Many thanks for the advice.

Just for accuracy and also because I managed to dump not drop once, I choose moodledb from the Adminer dropdown menu then 'use' then dump? I then save this file somewhere 'safe' off server.

Am I wrong to assume that the automated Moodle backup that is not working for us will be completed when running /cron.php as that backs up courses etc?

Thanks

David

Randy Thornton

Yes, save the file somewhere so you can get to it if you need it. "Dump" is just database jargon for what the rest of the world calls "backup" or "export." The file will have an extension of .sql.

Take a look at this for info on automating dumps: http://www.mysqltutorial.org/how-to-backup-database-using-mysqldump.aspx

Yes, Automated backups will start working once cron is working. Automated backups in Moodle are run by cron, but on the schedule you set for it, not every cron run like most things.

See: http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Automated_course_backup for the settings.

If you automate both a database dump and auto backups, do the dump first as it is quick and you don't want to dump during the auto backup process. Auto backups are much slower and can vary a lot in the time they take to run depending on course usage.

Picture of David Cooke

Hi Randy

Your help is much appreciated.

I note with the Adminer options (see image) that I need to choose from some drop down options.  

Can you suggest the 'correct' options or do I leave it as the default one as seen?

I am also looking at the page you suggested on backing up MYSQL databases.  

Thanks again

David

Randy Thornton

Which of those databases is the actual live one? It is the one set in the config.php file. You should back up that one.

When I do this manually, my habit it to first go into the database itself. Then I dump it from there. There's no drop button inside (just in case ;)

Picture of David Cooke

Hi Randy

I have attached 3 images below of the three drop down options available to me when using Adminer.  I hope you appreciate my confusion over  the options particularly when one of them mentions the dreaded 'drop' word.  My last backup produced a .sql.txt file, is this correct?

The default drop down setting is:

Database Create

Tables Drop+Create

Data Insert

Is this the optimal setting?

Many thanks once again

David