Using Pop-up dictionary Moodle plug-in with Hot Potatoes

Using Pop-up dictionary Moodle plug-in with Hot Potatoes

by Susanna Wesson -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I would be interested to know if anyone uses (or knows how to use) the Moodle plug-in Pop_up dictionary combined with Hot Potatoes exercises. This plug-in enables students to click on a word and see the dictionary entry for it.

My Administrator has installed the plug-in, but it doesn't appear to work via HotPot.

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_dictionary

Many thanks,

Susanna.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susanna Wesson

Re: Using Pop-up dictionary Moodle plug-in with Hot Potatoes

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Susanna,
probably there is some conflict between the JavaScript that adds the dictionary popup and the javascript that implements the interactive features of the Hot Potatoes exercise.

Are you getting any kind of JavaScript error?

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Susanna Wesson -

Hi,

Thank you for looking into this.

My administrator says she doesn't think there is a conflict: she says (I'm translating) the dictionary filtre is not applied when Moodle displays, as if the Hot Potatoes activities were not recognised as HTML.

Susanna

In reply to Susanna Wesson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Susanna,
I think I have modfied the HotPot module to be able to send content through the Moodle filters, including the Dictionary filter, before being sent to the brower. Please could you update your HotPot module, and let me know if the content is passed through the dictionary filter.

cheers
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Susanna Wesson -

Dear Gordon,

The Pop-up dictionary now works perfectly in HotPot.  Many thanks: I think this will be encourage students to get even more out of Hot Potatoes exercises.

Thank you again for all your hard work.

Susanna.