Alt text for Grid format images

Alt text for Grid format images

by Yvette Drager -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Everyone,

Our team is using the grid format in some courses we are creating.

One course, the set of images we are having to use have words that delineates the topics. As a result we are hamstrung with the design to removing the titles for each section.

For accessibility this is of course an issue for screen readers. Is there a way to put in a text alternative for the images loaded in the grid?

Cheers

Yvette

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yvette Drager

Re: Alt text for Grid format images

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Yvette,

Not at the moment.

Ok, what I'll do for 'free' is place the section name as the 'alt' field text, sort the icon size relative to the styles, back port the quiz restore issue and log file new activity to Moodle 2.3.4+ (because of MDL-36095 and therefore I had no choice but to update the code to support it).  I notice that you state that are running 2.3.2, so you will have to upgrade within the 2.3 branch to use it - back porting to another off shoot branch will cause greater configuration management nightmares for me.  This is a trade off as I normally only do improvements (the alt text) in the latest version.

Anything more will require discussion.

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Alt text for Grid format images

by Dan Jeffries -

Hi Gareth

Could you confirm if alt text has been added? We love Grid and I want to role it out some more, but there is a concern from Learning Support about it working with Screen Readers e.g. the built in Mac accessibility reader.

Otherwise we'll have to duplicate the course and make a text-only version, which would be a shame.

Cheers.

Dan