Installation help

Brian
new clean installation Moodle 2.5.1+

Last working version is at 2.3, at http://www.yare.freeola.org/moodle_23 .

Having failed for several days to upgrade to 2.4 or 2.5 I have tried a clean install of 2.5.1+ .

I am on a hosted server, so do not have command line access, but I have persuaded the host to up the Max Execution Time in php.ini from 30 seconds to 120 secs. They did not want to do this.

I unzip on a windows box before uploading by ftp to the host.

1) Frequent errors occur while trying to run the install, but overwriting the files that are erring gets me past these.

Is there some way of telling if I have a clean upload - a byte-by-byte compare between windows and the host.

The host is "Linux vipweb11.freeola.co.uk 2.6.32-358.6.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu May 16 20:59:36 UTC 2013 x86_64"

PHP is Version 5.3.26

MySql is 5.1.59

Once I can validate the files on the server I can proceed to tell you the next errors ...

Help, please

Brian Yare

Average of ratings: -
Brian
Re: new clean installation Moodle 2.5.1+

In case it helps, the following script will provide phpinfo

http://www.yare.freeola.org/phpinfo.php

Brian Yare

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

If host is x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (your OS is really CentOS version 6) why install the .zip file from Moodle downloads?  That's for Windows.  Ever notice the tar.gz is actually smaller?

If there is a tool to unzip files on server (ie, can't gunzip), download the tar.gz.  Uncompress.  Then using whatever tool you have on local Winders station zip up the 'moofle' folder ... remember that if you zip the folder, it unzips that way ... creating a 'moodle' folder.  If that is not desired, zip up the contents of the 'moodle' folder.  Unzip in a directory that will be accessible by apache.  Since it appears there is some sort of issue with size of file to upload, one could create (manually) 2 or 3 zips thus reducing the size of the zip.

When FTP to server, make sure it's uploading in binary mode IF uploading files/folders (ie, not a zip).  Also consider selecting approximately 'half' of the files/fodlers in your untarred moodle folder.  Upload those.  The select those not selected the first time and then uploading those.

Once uploaded your FTP app should be able to set permissons properly on files/folders.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Brian

Ken, yes, I am using the tgz, and 'untarring' it with jZip.

I have tried uploading to the server a bit at a time. But how do I run a compare of the server copy and the windows copy?

I can repeat the upload of files that are causing errors, but who knows when that will end?

Thanks for looking at this.

Brian

Picture of Rick Jerz

Brian, you mentioned your version of PHP, which is fine.  How about the MySQL version?

Moodle 2.5.1+ Requires: PHP 5.3.3, MySQL 5.1.33.

Have you made it to the point where you can start Moodle?

Might you be able to tell us who is your hosting account with?

Have you made a moodledata directory, not in your web folder?

Brian

Hi! I said earlier that MySQL is 5.1.59

I pass the language and directory screens, and  can get to the point where I am asked to Choose database driver, but the screen is complete - there are no buttons to move on.

Yes, I have Moodledata in a separate area, not in the htdocs area.

My host is FreeOla in the UK.

Can you suggest anything?

Brian Yare

Picture of Ken Task

Haven't worked on Winders in years, but dos command is still there and there is a command to display files recursively with a re-direct to a text file.  Something like:

cd moodlecodedirectoryuntared

dir /s > allfiles.txt

There's your file listing.  Print out.

Now on the server, do you have a tool that will list files recursively?  Haven't used FTP in years either (scp better), but might have to see if your FTP app can do that ... AFTER the upload.

The name of that text file: allfilesafterupload.txt

Does Winders now have a 'diff' command?  Google for that one.  Once acquired, one could use that diff command/app in comparing the two text files.

In a fresh download of 24 code via git, for example, using the command line on a Mac located in the 24 code directory:

wc -l all24files.txt

23602 all24files.txt

In a fresh download of 24 code (.tgz), using the command line in the moodle directory created by extracting the tar ball:

wc -l all24dlfiles.txt  

23362 all24dlfiles.txt

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Brian

Thanks, Ken,

I was hoping not to go down that route. I don't understand Macs and have very little knowledge of Unix/Linux.

Maybe a different file transfer program might help, as the one that I am using, CuteFTP, is a little long in the teeth.

I'll carry on bashing at this brick wall.

Brian Yare

Picture of Ken Task

What sort of package did you purchase from provider?  If on a shared system, they may not give you enough access to resources to finish/complete the install.    Have seen resources on a standalone server (one that I have complete control over) spike to 90% sometimes 100% of resources with PHP.  Initially, mysqld is right up there as well.

What sort of packages does your provider offer?  Is there a 'step up' from shared hosting granting you more control over things like PHP?

The best way I've found to install is all via command line.  Browser might time out.  Browser might get too much data, etc.  Command line isn't all that tough ... besides, knowledge of gives one an alternative route to getting something done.  And, in any OS server administration (with Moodle you ARE a server admin ... like it or not), command line is eventually used ... GUI may not supply all that needs to be done.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Rick Jerz

It appears that Brian already asked for SSH support, and maybe was denied.  I have found that the hosting companies that I have worked with will not supply SSH support until I (strongly) request it.

Brian, sorry about asking for your mySQL version.

I forget who made the post, but somewhere, a person made a post giving his method, very detailed, without SSH support.  I will see if I can find the post.  (I think it was Shawn ???)

Brian

I failed completely with my clean 2.5.1 installation - it would not complete the "choose database driver" screen.

I then imported my working 2.3 database into mysql and my Moodle Data from that build.

The install now completes. The layout is o.k. (unlike on my earlier thread a couple of weeks ago).

But my admin user no longer has full administrator rights in 2.5.1.

Any ideas?

Brian

Brian

So I set up a WAMP on my PC, set up the same moodle v2.5.1+ on it, installed with no problems.

I then dumped the database, and loaded it and MoodleData onto the remote server.

Started up again - still stalling on the "Choose database driver" screen.

What next?

Brian

Brian

Instead of WAMP from SourceForge I would like to try the latest Windows Complete Package from Moodle.

But I am running 64-bit Windows 8. It does not seem immediately compatible.

Suggestions, please.

Brian Yare

Brian

Solved the "choose database driver" screen problem.

I had to change the collation from utf8_general_ci to utf8_unicode_ci.

If the installation process had just displayed an appropriate error message then I could have saved several days!

On to the next problem but I'll not add to this thread.

Picture of Rick Jerz

Brian, yep, that is something that I always do and I didn't think about mentioning it to you.

Make sure to keep careful notes so that you can repeat this install process in the future.

Well, keep us informed about your progress.  I have lost track of where you are.

Brian

Rick I now have a working Moodle 2.5.1+ at my ISP.

I only have a small site, 36 courses and about 45 users.

I have left all the old courses at 1.9.15 until I work out how to import them. I have entered the users by hand.

This autumn's course has been entered by hand, so I am up and running, but it has taken about 4 weeks overall!

Any suggestions about importing courses from 1.9 or even 2.3 would be welcomed.

Picture of Rick Jerz

Great to hear this.  Right now, my Moodle site has four courses running, and around 70 students, so we are roughly the same size.

It's been awhile since I moved from 1.9 to 2.0, so I am not sure if I can tell you much.  I recall moving the 1.9 course, but I had to do a lot of editing.  I do recall exporting student's names, then importing them into 2.0 (without profile photos).

I think that you will enjoy 2.5.1+.

Good luck.

Brian

I am now up and running, but with a small problem running IE10 on Windows 8. As I said elsewhere, I do not get clickable links for administrator functions except by first doing a search. I suspect this to be a problem with a theme.

IE10 works fine on Windows 7, and Google Chrome works fine on Windows 8.

I've successfully moved 6 years of old courses across to the new system, again as described in another thread.

I am going to sit back for a few days to make sure that my users are getting on o.k. - I had officially allowed the whole of August for the upgrade, with the fall-back being to stay on 1.9.15 for another year - I made it with a few hours to spare.

My new site is at http://www.yare.freeola.org/moodle in case anybody would like to make any suggestions about the last small problem. I have not yet customized the theme at all - but will read up about that next week.

Thanks to all for some helpful suggestions, but I think that the upgrade documentation leaves a lot to be desired!

Picture of Ken Task

I too sometimes get frustrated with documentation ... or lack of it, but that's open source for ya and part of why it's free! 

If one thinks about it for a minute, how could any open source project possibly document (correctly) upgrades on *ALL* remotely hosted systems - shared/dedicated/VPS's etc. when *ALL* of them have their quirks be they Windows/Linux/or MacOSX.  Maybe, if providers were concerned about client experience with their systems, they would have an FAQ or Docs for adjustments clients will have to make to install Moodle x on *their* systems.  Have seen that 0 times.  Many times answers are actually found in providers own forums for customers.  More often than not, provider takes the 'easy way out' and points folks to the forums here. 

Your server is CentOS which is what I use/recommend.  Have had NO issues in upgrading ... ever.  But then again, servers to which I have access is total ... including ssh and command line.  And can increase/decrease whatever values for php desired ... as well as tweak MySQL settings/values.

But, glad you have it working.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Brian

Ken, your message 1016201 finally solved my problem with IE10 and Windows 8. Thank you.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Brian

You wrote:
> the upgrade documentation leaves a lot to be desired!

Here is the background: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=197602.

Thanks for documenting the process, very useful.

Picture of Gerel Bold

I'm having this same problem i choose and installed Moodle 2.5 for windows but  redirect error.

"This webpage has a redirect loop

The webpage at http://localhost/moodle/admin/index.php?cache=1 has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.

Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects."

I did try clearing cookies, and also tried opening it in Firefox rather than Chrome. Both produce the redirect error.

next i choose moodle 1.9 installed but error IIS7.5 

Please Help me 

Gmads
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Gerel,

Please avoid posting more than once the same problem:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=234876#p1021996