Admin (only) loses blocks on front page

Admin (only) loses blocks on front page

by Andy Hawkins -
Number of replies: 4

Moodle 2.3.3+ on Ubuntu server

Changed theme from Formal White to Decaf

Admin users lose blocks on front page (left and right).

Teachers and students still see them. They are also visible when not logged in.

Tried changing back to standard - still happens

Have cleared browser and theme caches and changed to other themes - still happens.

Occurs on both Chrome and Firefox.

It is maybe as if options 'no blocks' is permanently on for admin users in that context?

Maybe this is something [simple] that we have missed - in which case apologies. (it rings vague bells from before but senility is filtering recall and searching has proved fruitless)

TIA

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Hawkins

Re: Admin (only) loses blocks on front page

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Settings and Navigation should be at the top of the page in Decaf.

To make these work effectively you have the option to disable the side blocks for Admin and Navigation. I am guessing these are the one you are missing ... yes?

If so then Decaf theme has some settings in Settings > Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Decaf (this is a link to the custom setting for this theme).

It is in that setting page where you make the decision to turn off the blocks.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andy Hawkins -

Thanks for the reply.

I have changed these settings both ways.

Currently hide settings and navigation are NO/OFF and I have cleared theme and APC caches.

Attached are images of a 'teacher' and and 'admin' front page.

Not just the settings/admin blocks missing. (awesome bar is working fine - love it!)

Problem is admins are only ones who can edit front page blocks so now cannot edit the blocks showing for other users. (without some kind of complex SQL manipulation I guess)

Any other possible suggestions of where to look?

thanks

Attachment sbale-imagestrip2.jpg
In reply to Andy Hawkins

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ohh no!!! I should have realised this before.

This is what I call the Microsoft Formatting BUG. What someone has done is copy and pasted some text probably from an email (Qutlook) or a (Word) document. If you check your site news forum you should be able to see where the problem is coming from, as it will be missing a footer or looking 'odd'.

What happens is that during the copy and paste you are in actual fact copying more than you can see. Each line carries lots of MS formatting code, and styles which override Moodle CSS. So you end up losing the blocks.

Hope this helps...and apologies for not thinking of this earlier.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Evans -

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the link you sent me. I don't see anything wrong in the source code that suggests some MS formatting. Just wondering if it is you have all the blocks docked and forgot about them. smile

It has been known!

Cheers Mary