What triggers the "overridden" flag?

What triggers the "overridden" flag?

by Donna Hrynkiw -
Number of replies: 11

Can anyone tell me what causes the "overridden" flag to be set? -- OTHER than manually entering marks via the Gradebook rather than through the activity.

I found this in the documentation (my emphasis added):
"[the overridden] flag is often set internally by the gradebook, but can be switched on and off manually using this form element." http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Grade_editing#Overridden

This suggests to me that there might be other conditions which cause Moodle to set the overridden flag.

We have a faculty member who swears he never entered marks via the Gradebook, but many (not all) of the student course totals were overridden, as were a number (some, not all) category totals, and some activity marks as well.

We're stumped as to how that could happen and are wondering if it might be something along the lines of the "Extra credits" box being selected when a teacher switches back and forth between "Weighted Mean" and "Simple weighted mean".

Hrynkiw

Kwantlen Polytechnic

In reply to Donna Hrynkiw

Re: What triggers the "overridden" flag?

by Paula Clough -

We have some instructors who upload grades with Excel files that accidentally over write some columns that have no grades in them. 

In reply to Donna Hrynkiw

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There was a bug a while back that was causing this.  Grades would randomly become overridden. It was resolved in a later release - I suggest upgrading.

Other options: get the LAE grader report which gives you a button to uncheck the overridden status on a whole column.  There is also a script that can run on the database that will clear them all too.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Barbara Taylor -

We had this same issue and put in a tracker.  https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-38732

Although you can run a script to fix the overridden flags you have to be cautious.  We found that any grades that were entered manually would be deleted.

Barbara

In reply to Barbara Taylor

by Bob Puffer -

Hi Barbara,

I responded to your post in the other thread with an explanation of where we're at on the gradebook issues, mentioning the LAE Grader report we (and many others) use.  One of the features I put in last year was a "clearalloverrides" button for each column (that doesn't erase grades).  There isn't anything more frustrating to an instructor than to have to clear an entire column of overridden grades manually.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Nic Ruley -

Holy crap, Bob, you're my hero. This plugin answers, like 4 issues that my instructors are having! TREMENDOUS.

We can install it on a course that is currently running, right? And we can use it on Moodle 2.5? (Sorry to hijack the conversation, but this has saved me from my own thread.)

In reply to Nic Ruley

by Bob Puffer -

Emma's correct, will work on existing courses and goes up through 2.5.1+ (and I see no reason in the release notes why it won't work for 2.5.2). Let me know if you encounter ANY issues.  Its been getting a lot of attention lately because people are coming up with all sorts of great ideas.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Doug Moody -

Bob,

I asked for help on this same issue in another post and got no responses. I don't [yet] have your plugin, but I am going to ASAP.

Please tell me if you know, but in order for me to get around this issue, I tried importing grades through CSV, but then I found another problem I haven't seen discussed yet here.

What happened is that although the grades imported as expected, when I go back to an assignment where I can do quick grading, and look in the grade field where I just imported into the gradebook, the grade doesn't appear in quick grading.

That means essentially that student can ONLY see their own grades through the gradebook, but can't view their grades via clicking on the original assignment submission page.

I also can't import feedback comments, but that's a different issue.

Has anyone else checked out this anomaly and do others see the same thing I see?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Bob Puffer -

I steer my instructors away from importing grades though I know others have been able to do it successfully.  I believe the major problem occurs when you wish to import multiple times into the same gradebook but I could be wrong as I haven't looked at grade imports recently.  What you describe is certainly a bug.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Jeus Perez -

Are you sure the students can't see the grades?

I could import the grades, but not the comments (as you mentioned). However, the grades are not shown in the quick grading column but at the far end to the right, which in my case was outside the screen and there was no scroll bar (Image 1). Therefore I had to select a piece of text and move to the right to reveal the column "Final grade" (or similar, my language settings are not in English) as you can see in image 2.

I did not load the grades for all the students. And as mentioned above in other contributions, in those students that were graded by "importing", the quick grading was blocked, over-ridden (pink). But in those whose grades were not imported, the quick grading option is visible (green).

My problem was (is) that I could not import the comments. And this was the important part for me because I was using this task to announce each student the name and e-mail of his/her academic tutor (and this was included as a comment). Any suggestions?

Attachment task_grade_import.png
Attachment task_grade_import2.png
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Debbie Unterseher -

Bob (or anyone else using the LAE Grader)...

If you use the LAE Grader and do the following steps (as mentioned by Sam Anderson in https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-38732), does it cause the course total cells to be overridden for that student?  If not, I will switch to the LAE grader!!!  I have had SO many problems with the course totals being overridden, and I have a very small number of faculty using the grader!  Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Logging in to a course gradebook as a TA in one browser, and as teacher in another browser.
2. As the TA, we edited a grade in one gradebook and updated it while the instructor's window was still open and had editing turned on.
3. Then clicked "update" on the instructor's gradebook without changing anything.

This resulted in the cell that the TA had changed being empty (meaning that the TA's grade did not stick) and overridden, the category total column being overridden for that student, as well as the Course Total grade being overridden for that student.