Is a hierarchy of goups/activities possible in Moodle?

Is a hierarchy of goups/activities possible in Moodle?

by Dave Balch -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,

(I've had a browse around the forums and documentation but couldn't find anything about this - if I've missed previous discussion, I'd appreciate pointers to it.)

I would like to be able to have more layers to a Moodle course than just the main page ("Topic outline"), in order to support large courses. In this scheme, the topic outline would include links to "modules"* which would be pages with links to resources and activities (functioning like the topic outline).

This would allow courses with structures like:

Moodle installation
Course 1
Module 1
Part 1 (With resources & activities)
Part 2 (With resources & activities)
etc...
Module 2
etc...
Module 3
etc...
Course 2
Module 1
etc...

My first thoughts on how to implement this were as a new resource type - a database entry pointing to the activities and resources added to it.

Is anyone else interested in this sort of feature - or already working on it?

Cheers,
Dave.

* Modify this term to your preference
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Balch

Re: Is a hierarchy of goups/activities possible in Moodle?

by Darren Smith -

At a quick skim it looks like you need to ahve categories.

Create categories for course1 and course2. Inside of those categories create further categories for Module1, Module2, Module3 and so in. Inside Module 1 create a course called Part1, another course called Part2 and another called Part3. In those courses you can add you resources and activities.

Does that meet what you were after?

In reply to Darren Smith

Re: Is a hierarchy of goups/activities possible in Moodle?

by Dave Balch -
Hi Darren, thanks for the pointer.

The nested categories look light they might fit the bill - I'll need to have a proper play with them, as I familiarise myself with Moodle, to find out for sure.

Cheers,
Dave.
In reply to Dave Balch

Re: Is a hierarchy of goups/activities / Courses within Course

by Karrie V -

I dont know if you are looking for the same thing I am.  I have a fifth grade teacher has a main course page. Each of the branches off the main page (different colors) need to be SEPARATE courses or sub-courses in order for her to keep the projects together. Please see the attached diagram to see the courses this particular teacher needs to have within her main course. If she had all the information she has for each of these individual projects on one page it would be EXTREAMLY overwhelming for her. Somehow she wants them to log into one main page and jump to the activities that they need to complete from each of the sub courses. Not all of the individual courses will be used at the same time. There are several novels, she uses one at a time.

Example

Topic boxes include:

Vocabulary

· Words (pull from vocabulary course topic section 2)

· Quiz (pull from vocabulary course topic section 2)

State Project

· Topic section 1 from the state project course

The Witch of Fourth Street

· Topic section 4 from the Witch on Fourth Street Class

Each week the Main courses topic sections will change to different sections in the sub courses.

We want the students to be able to switch between courses seamlessly and to have to enroll them only into the main course (Mrs. Smiths fifth grade class)

As of right now we created separate classes for each section and added the my courses block but the teacher would prefer to have all the info on the main page. We were going to attempt to link to the resources / quizzes/ activities in the other courses from the main page however we just taught the students what the icons for each type of activity are and it is important that we keep this continuity for them.

If you have any suggestions please help!

Thanks!

Attachment Donna_Class_Outline.jpg
In reply to Karrie V

Re: Is a hierarchy of goups/activities / Courses within Course

by Darren Smith -

I can help a little here ..

We want the students to be able to switch between courses seamlessly and to have to enroll them only into the main course (Mrs. Smiths fifth grade class)

Meta course in 1.5 is the answer. According to my experiments here you would set up the 5th grade class as normal and the book courses would be a meta course (which takes it's enrollment from the master course). Students enroll in 5th grade course and they are automatically enrolled in the sub courses (Poetry, Canada, Vocab, Dixie and so on) at the same time.

As for jumping into these sub courses - I put a link in the different topics. For example: Click here to go to the Poetry Anthology course (Actually this will take you to google - you need to go to the poetry course and then copy the URL from your address bar).

Does that help a little or not at all?