Shuffle On Multichoice Questions - Turn Off - Revisited

Shuffle On Multichoice Questions - Turn Off - Revisited

per Ron Raney,
Number of replies: 4

Using Moodle 3.5.1+

All discussion of this subject that I have found is at least 5 years old. Sorry if this is a repetitive topic, but I tried to search it. None of my team likes the auto-shuffle that occurs with multichoice questions on a question page in the Lesson module.

Moodle Docs tells us this:

Can I turn off the answer shuffle in a lesson?

• In short, no. Turning off the page and answer shuffle are Quiz options, but neither is found in Lesson. A minor hack to the Lesson code is possible but that would impact the entire Moodle site.
TIP: If you don't need to score students answers in a question, then consider using a Content page instead of a Multiple Choice or a True/False question.

My question is how do you use a Content page if you want to ask questions?

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions? An old post suggested a hack in the php, but I cannot find anything up to date about a hack to turn off shuffle. Another person suggested "Branch Tables" which I need to learn more about. 

Average of ratings  -
In reply to Ron Raney

Re: Shuffle On Multichoice Questions - Turn Off - Revisited

per Ron Raney,

Found the hack. If you want to do this, remember they warn against it.

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Re: Turn shuffle off?? moodle 2.4
by Joseph Rézeau - Friday, 7 June 2013, 9:30 PM
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

I had forgotten that I was the author of that hack!

In Moodle 2.4, in file lesson/pagetypes/multichoice.php, function display(), comment out line 89 shuffle($answers); as shown below.

public function display($renderer, $attempt) {
        global $CFG, $PAGE;
        $answers = $this->get_used_answers();
//        shuffle($answers);
        $action = $CFG->wwwroot.'/mod/lesson/continue.php';

Average of ratings Useful (1)
In reply to Ron Raney

per Pedro Caldeira,

I have been using 1.8.2 for quite a while , now i tried 2.6 and i got stuck to this annoying issue.

For instance, what's the point to shuffle a question like this :

The {:MULTICHOICE:first~=second~third~fourth} world war began in the year {: MULTICHOICE:1930~=1939~1972~2001} century .

I guess i will have to hack the moodle instalation files...

WAKE UP DEVELOPERS !!!

In reply to Ron Raney

per Pedro Caldeira,

Hi there,

I tried your workaround here: moodle-2.6.2\moodle\mod\lesson\pagetypes\multichoice.php , but NO SUCESS.

I inserted  "//" before  "shuffle($answers);" but there's no difference .

Some help is appreciated.

tks

PS.: My moodle is in a remote server ... i was thinking if it should  be some big delay for changes to take effect ?