Transition to LDAP

Transition to LDAP

by Scott Christy -
Number of replies: 6

We're currently running Moodle 2.5 and in the past have always uploaded student and teacher logins into Moodle from a comma delimited file at the start of the school year.

For this school year we want to switch to LDAP authenticating off of our MS Active Directory instead.

This may be a dumb question, but here goes.... I plan to delete all of the existing student accounts currently in Moodle, but what should I do with the teacher accounts?  In other words, teacher accounts will now authenticate through LDAP just like the student accounts will.  Do I need to delete all of the existing teacher accounts in Moodle?  If I do, won't that mess up who the teachers are in all of the existing courses?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.  Just trying to wrap my head around this transition.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Christy

Re: Transition to LDAP

by Jay Schupp -

Hi Scott,

It may not be necessary to delete accounts.  With the LDAP setup you pick which OU's / contexts ... also there is a drop-down on the users accounts for manual or LDAP ... also there is a control in the LDAP setup on what to do if there is already a manual account (keep manual or switch to LDAP).

So, fundamentally the user "account" stays the same in Moodle you are just switching the authentication method from manual to LDAP.

On a side note, are you Scott Christy from IMHS class of 1985?  Let me know...I can send you my email and we can work on this if you'd like.  

Our Moodle uses both manual accounts (legacy) and LDAP for new accounts staff/students tied into our AD environment.  At the start of every school year we run a report of manual accounts that have not logged in for the past 18 months or so ... we delete those ... so over time everyone will eventually use LDAP for authentication.

Thanks,

Jay

In reply to Jay Schupp

by Scott Christy -

Holy cow, Jay Schupp!  What a small world.....  Yeah, it's me.  What are you up to these days?

I think I have a handle on this.  I'll have our tech guys work out the LDAP settings and then I'll turn things on in our Moodle installation and give it a try.

Thanks for the offer to help.  I may take you up on this if I can't get it working correctly.  Good to hear from you.  Amazing bumping in to you in a Moodle forum...

by Jay Schupp -

Scott,

Yes small world!  I am the network/systems administrator at the EUPISD (Sault MI)...we service 17 local districts in 3 counties...about 4,500 square miles!  I do most of the behind the scenes work in the data center...virtual, cloud, servers, routers and things like that.

I built our Moodle about 4 years ago...we've had a few grants for students to get netbooks and to expand PD / instructional technology for Moodle ... I don't get into the instructional side ... I just take care of the technical side but I get the calls on Moodle when they don't know who else to call!

Where are you at now-a-days?  We were in IM for the 4th...camped at Lake Antoine.  Good to go back but not the same place we grew up!

Take care..

Jay

In reply to Jay Schupp

by Scott Christy -

Shoot me an email at my school address spchristy@gbaps.org and I'll fill you in on what I've been up to.

by Richard Lian -

Hi Scott,

I have just done a similar thing. Please have a look at this thread: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=232874

It is up and running and working well. Existing accounts were linked to AD accounts by username. New accounts created for LDAP users not in Moodle already. Set it to only suspend accounts not in LDAP rather than delete.

Regards,

Richard