Badges in Profile Privacy Checked- Can Teacher still see?

Badges in Profile Privacy Checked- Can Teacher still see?

by Kevin Ryan -
Number of replies: 5

If a student chooses to make her badges private in her profile, as Teacher or Admin, can I still see her badges? And if so, where? (I am mostly interested in using them during grading.) Is there a way to set who sees what for Badges in Moodle?

Can't find anything specific in the documentation....

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Ryan

Re: Badges in Profile Privacy Checked- Can Teacher still see?

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Basically, no. Users can set whether badges are visible to other users in their Profile in Administration > My Profile settings > Badges > Preferences > Automatically show badges I earn on my profile page. The default is checked on.

A user can also selectively hide or unhide any particular badge using the "eye" icon underneath each earned badge in the Navigation > My Profile > My badges area.

A site admin can see everything, but since the badges are part of a user profile, there is no Teacher role here.  They will see just what the settings above would allow any other user to see on the profile.

Inside a course, the Teacher can see all the course badges, to whom they have been awarded and all the other details, in Course admin > Badges > Manage badges. Teachers can not see badges in courses other than ones they teach (just like anything else.)

A Non-editing teacher in a course can see all the details of awards in Manage badges, but they don't have the ability to create, edit, or delete badges. By default they can not award manual badges, either.

A Manager has the same abilities as a Teacher in the categories and courses they can manage.

If you are mostly interested in using them during grading, then any non-editing teacher or teacher in the course can see all the badges for that course. But you will need to do this one course at a time.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Sara Vanderpool -

Randy,

Do you know if users with a "Teacher" role can see the badges of other users with "Teacher" roles?  

Kind regards,

Sara Vanderpool 

In reply to Sara Vanderpool

by Randy Thornton -

Sara,

Basically, yes. If badges are on a user profile, then other users can see them (given the caveats discussed above smile

From the Moodle point of view, badges awarded belong to users, regardless of the particular roles they may have in various courses, such as Teacher or Student etc.

Randy

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Sara Vanderpool -

Randy,

Thank you for your response.  Here's a silly question (I'm still relatively new to Moodle), how to teachers search for other teachers?  For example, if I'm a teacher and I want to see the badges of a colleague whom I teach no courses with, how would I see his/her profile?

Kind regards,

Sara Vanderpool 

In reply to Kevin Ryan

by Randy Thornton -

I do have a workaround which may help.

If you set the capability moodle/badges:viewawarded to Allow for a system level role, it will be able to view the site level badges and the users awarded those badges via Site admin > Badges > Manage badges. It can't add or edit, just view the badge and info for all the recipients.

It can view a badge this way even if a user has hidden it in their profile.

You could set this up in a number of ways. For instance, you could create a special site- wide role that can see all courses and badges and also the site badges. You could do this by cloning the non-editing teacher role, making it a system level role, then setting badges:viewawarded to Allow. Assign someone that role at the site level and they should be able to see the badges in every course and also the site level.

In my screenshot, I did this to the Authenticated user role, actually, instead of Non-editing teacher, just to prove it works. In a live site, you would want to refine such a role to just the capabilities you want them to have. My example just serves as to illustrate how you can go about doing it.

Attachment site-badges.png
Average of ratings: Useful (3)