Way to add 15 random items to Quiz from Q-bank dropdown?

Way to add 15 random items to Quiz from Q-bank dropdown?

by Gerald Grow -
Number of replies: 6

Me, again, running Moodle 2.4.4.

When I want to add random questions from a question category into a quiz, the dropdown lets me add 10, 20, 30, etc.

Is there a way I can add 15 instead?

I know I an add 10, then add 5. But sometimes I'm adding random questions from a hand-picked selection from a long list of questions, and the moment I add 10, the check-marks disappear, and I have to select them again.

This is not terribly important, but it would be a convenience, so thanks for your thoughts.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Grow

Re: Way to add 15 random items to Quiz from Q-bank dropdown?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Yes, pick 10, then add 5.  Moodle will never repeat randomly selected questions from the same test bank.

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Joshua Bragg -

You're not doing what you think you're doing at the moment.  You can only add random questions from a category.  If you look closely above the "Add N random questions" you'll see that its has a heading of "Add random questions from category."  Your handpicked list isn't going to be what it chooses from.

If you want it to randomly pull from a group like that you'll need to move everything into a categories or sub categories.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Rick Jerz -

Joshua, thanks for clarifying my comments.

Quite honestly, the only way that I have ever added questions to my Moodle is by first establishing a category.  In didn't know one could simply add questions, without a category.  I guess that these questions might go into the highest System category, right?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Joshua Bragg -

Based on Gerald's prior comments here I imagine they are being shared at the system level.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Gerald Grow -

Joshua - Ah! That explains it.

ANY questions I want to randomize, then, must be in their own category. They cannot be chosen from a longer list.

Got it.

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Rick Jerz -

Or a sub-category.  Take a look at my graphic. What I do is to randomly pick 15 questions from only Ch01 when we are into Ch01.  I create a quiz based only on Ch01.

Then, at mid-term, I give the students 50 random questions from all of the first half chapters.  By organizing the questions as I have, it is very easy to accomplish setting up the individual chapter, and the mid-term.  I do not need to separately set up the mid-term questions.  Hope this makes sense to you.

By the way, in the picture, the next upper level for me is "Business Courses". 

Attachment Categories and sub-categories.jpg