Wiki

Wiki vs. Book

This discussion has been locked because a year has elapsed since the last post. Please start a new discussion topic.
Picture of David Codish
Wiki vs. Book

Hi all - I'm teaching university students and would like them to be able to collaborate in summarizing the content of the lecture so that eventually, they have a resource to prepare for when exam time comes. 

Would you recommend using a wiki for each lesson, or a book and have each lesson as a chapter? (of course I can use a wiki for entire class or a book for each lesson but that sounds less appealing)

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Sakshi Goel
Re: Wiki vs. Book
Group Testers

Hi David

Wiki would be a better choice because every student can manage to edit one wiki but book is a resource, which a student can't add or edit. Resources only have read permission a student can't interact with it.

moi!!! it is what is is...
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

At one level, Sakshi is right, but at another, the response does not really answer the question. There is also the idea that data requires its own structure, it demands it essentially. What are you presenting? Static knowledge, googleable content? Informative opinion? Dynamic information? Peer interaction? Wiki or Book, what about forum? Your response also needs to take heed of what you are trying to accomplish in the course - not just the learning outcomes, but the processes involved along the way. That should determine what tools you use. I am currently developing alternate responses to these questions and finding a set of solutions, not just one size fits all. Essentially, Moodle does one job, another tool does another job that Moodle is not designed to do. Seems to be working so far... but we shall see. So let your information and your processes define how you respond to each circumstance.

Picture of David Codish

Thanks to both of you. 

I want students to be able to contribute their knowledge and basically use wiki as a replacement to their lecture notes. Ideally, at the end of the course, they would be able to print it out and use it as reference.

For future courses, I'm still debating if I should give them access to the previous semester material and have them enhance it, or develop it from scratch.

A book as you mentioned is more structured, but I definitely want students to own it so seems like I will go with a wiki.

I would be interested to see your solution Colin, perhaps you can share.

moi!!! it is what is is...
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Perhaps that might be possible David, but for the moment, I am not sure the other tools I am using are not all available outside Australia. Most are, but some are local products - you may have equivalents though. One of the tools is called DayMap, from a Melbourne company. Essentialy an SMS, it also has a small LMS module that is more or less a credible wiki and not a lot else. I am not sure that they will be selling internationally yet but I imagine it won't be long. I am developing a solution that meets our local laws regarding storage of data, as well as promoting positive learning outcomes. It also uses MS-Sharepoint which we are turning into a local repository - so not a lot is going to be stored externally. Moodle is, hopefully, going to be used for resources and online testing, If they can get Mahara up in that environment, then that will be for eportfolio and social networking with other common open source tools for more specific purposes - Wordpress for one. All locally stored and we can develop them to suit our need. One snag, Sharepoint 2013 is not being co-operative right now so the whole strategy could be brought undone by it. As I said, we shall see.