General help

Picture of Emma Yench
Restrict Access settings - time delay?

hi folks

We have a whole bunch of activities set up, mostly lessons, but also databases and quizzes, that are set to release once a student has completed the previous task. We're getting a lot of students complaining they don't have access to the next set of content, even though they've completed the required tasks.

By the time i can get in and login as one of the students and check out what might be happening, everything looks hunky dory. they have completed the work and have access to the next task, just as it should happen. I've also had more than one student complain and then almost immediately say that it has been fixed well before any staff have had a chance to fix it. i'm beginning to think there's a time delay on the release of material restricted by completion. Does anyone know what's going on here? Could there be a time delay? if so, how long is the time delay, and why?

Cheers

(perplexed) Emma

ps. we're using Moodle 2.3, and we're putting access restriction settings on lessons based on completion (at least 0%) of other lessons, and databases (based on receiving a rating for an entry)

Average of ratings: -
Photograph of George Self
Re: Restrict Access settings - time delay?

I believe that the answer to your issue is cron. I do not know for certain, but I believe that activity completion is "marked" via a cron job that should run about every 10 minutes on your server. If that is true, then it would explain why students do not see an instant result, but by the time you or your staff check it looks OK. I'm basing this on a FAQ that you can find at: http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Activity_completion_FAQ.

Picture of Emma Yench

Thanks George! yes, that's solved it. It turns out we have a longer than usual wait between jobs, but now i know what the wait is, we can let the students know and they won't panic so much.

cheers

Emma

paula
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Emma

Have you tried having your students "refresh" the browser in case they have backed up to the Moodle course instead of using the links at the top?

Paula cool