[CLOSED] Essential theme - 2.5.3 released

[CLOSED] Essential theme - 2.5.3 released

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 142

Tonight I am proud to release the latest version of the Moodle Essential theme to the community. Lots of work has gone into bug fixing as well as introducing new features requested by the community.

Before anyone posts about it, the issue with the first slide of the slideshow is still present and I am searching for a fix.

Many thanks also has to go out to many in the community for offering bug fixes and translations. Essential is fast becoming a true community effort and one I am proud to be part of.

New in 2.5.3

• New Settings screen just for color selection
  • Marketing Spots on homepage can now have images added. These will automatically be sized to fit by the theme.
  • Can now upload your own page background image
  • Can now set colors for footer region
  • Cleanup of required images (Theme now only uses 4 images)
  • Performance info now neatly formatted.
  • Fixed Custom Menu color in IE8 and IE9
  • Can now upload optional images into the marketing spots
  • Now available in English, German, Russian, Turkish and Spanish (many thanks to the Moodle Community for translating)
  • New Pinterest, Instagram, Skype and the Russian VK social networks added.
  • Can now add links to Mobile apps on the iOS App Store and Google Play
  • New formatting on login block
  • A plethora of minor CSS Fixes

Click here to download it from the Plugins DB or update it from your Moodle admin settings.

Feedback and bug reports, as always, are welcomed in this thread.

Julian

(Edited by Gareth J Barnard - original submission Tuesday, 6 August 2013, 1:09 PM)

This post and replies is now closed, please see my last reply as to why.

Attachment essential_232.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (13)
In reply to Julian Ridden

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.

Re: Essential theme - 2.5.3 released

by Joshua Bragg -

I'm still seeing the following bugs in this version:

CONTRIB-4501
CONTRIB-4486
CONTRIB-4499
CONTRIB-4498

One other little minor hassle:
The link for the logo extends to the right until it hits the space for the mobile apps.  This is true even if the image for the logo doesn't extend that far.  I've found myself clicking on that white space between the logo image when switching windows and inadvertently returning to the main page of the site.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The issue with the Current Topic not being distinguished is related to this in custom.css  

Line 374

.course-content ul li.section.main {
border-bottom: 0px none;
background: url([[pix:theme|bg/dot]]) bottom repeat-x;
}

If you turn that off in firebug the current topic is highlighted in blue.  Unfortunately though you also loose the pretty dot lines that are separating the topics.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Chris Kenniburg -

I changed my custom.css file at line 374 to be:

.course-content ul li.section.main {
border-bottom-width: 2px;
border-bottom-style: double;
border-bottom-color: #999;
}

and it now shows the current topic with a light blue background.  I lose the pretty dotted line but that's OK compared to loosing current topic highlighting.

by Hartmut Scherer -

If you add the following lines in custom.css

.course-content .current {
background: #E3E3E3 !important;
}

you will get

current topic with custom css

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Julian Ridden -

This has been fixed in the master branch in github and is awaiting testing. If you don't want to wait add the following to your "Custom CSS" box in the Essential theme settings.

.course-content ul.topics li.section.main.clearfix.current {
    box-shadow:0px 0px 10px setting:themecolor;
    border-radius: 5px;
}

I am not a huge fan of a background colour across the whole topic as I find this often makes it hard to read. I have opted for a nice shaded border for the theme instead.

Julian

by David Scotson -
Your double square brackets got eaten by a Moodle filter, so for anyone cutting and pasting:

box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px [[setting:themecolor]];
}
In reply to David Scotson

by Bob Puffer -

Your double square brackets got eaten by a Moodle filter, so for anyone cutting and pasting:

box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px [[setting:themecolor]];
}

So... do you still have to cause the background to be none?  Just pasting in what you've supplied David didn't accomplish it, even after purging every cache on campus.

EDIT: No, that didn't work either.  Not in Chrome or FF.

FURTHER EDIT: Not able to get this to work from pasting into custom.  Definitely works pulling from 2.5.3 latest. No purges necessary.

by Bob Puffer -

How did you turn it off in css?   I used the line:

.course-content ul li.section.main { background: none;}

And it turned off the dots but my current topic doesn't ever highlight

by Chris Kenniburg -

Great Job Julian!  The more I am using this theme the more I am coming to love it.  

by Gary Moncrieff -
Thanks for the update Julian, can also confirm the update has fixed the menu issue on Windows Phone. Any chance you could tell me what you did to fix it, having a similar issue with my personal site and cant track it down.
In reply to Gary Moncrieff

by Julian Ridden -

Very simple to fix in the end once I diagnosed the issue. It is a bootstrap problem sadly. In short it is a "filter" tag causing the issues.

Just had to add the following and it was all sorted:

.navbar-inner{
      filter: none;
}

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Julian

New in 2.5.3

• Can now upload your own page background image

I am having fun with the version 2.5.3's "Add backgound image" under the Colour Settings. Here's my handiwork. I used a jpg that is like a repeating floor-tile kinda thing.

Just wondering if it were possible to allow the student role to also upload a background image of their choice? Meaning that all students enrolled in an Essential-enabled them will see the Essential design, but each is able to customise their own background images. This would allow the student some degree of individualism, creativity and customisation within a standard theme for his or her whole class. 

Julian, you're on a roll. Thank you for a mesmerising theme with so many features.

Regards
Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Julian Ridden -

Sadly moodle theme's currently only allow for Admins to set the theme settings and only at a site level. I would love to see theme options at a context level (site/category/course/user) but have been told by developers that this would put too high a strain on performance.

Maybe now is the time to get a tracker item started on this and see if there are enough votes to warrant proper investigation. Themes (like Essential) would gain huge possibilities of settings could be changed at these various levels.

The way I see it working is that the admin in "theme settings" could set that theme settings would be available at a category/course/user level similar to how we currently allow who can choose themes.

Julian

In reply to Frankie Kam

by David Scotson -
I like your background, it's very similar to the one I use on my test site so I don't get confused about whether I'm on the live site or not.

http://subtlepatterns.com is a good source for more, well, subtle background images that can add a unique touch to the background of your site while remaining fairly neutral.

They also have a github: https://github.com/subtlepatterns/SubtlePatterns
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Julian Ridden -

Interested for some feedback on a new feature I plan to add to this release.

I wanted to change how the standard edit icons were displayed in courses. I wanted to change the colours, especially the delete as well as ding spacing to clump feature types (like moving) together.

Adding the spacing and lines is easy, but changing the icon colours to match the theme was harder. I have opted, again, to go with Font Awesome as the way forward. 

This will be an option that, if disabled, will revert back to the standard icons.

See screenshot attached. Interested in getting feedback.

Julian

Attachment editicons.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Joshua Bragg -

+1 from me on the colors.  I like that.  I'm not sure if I like the | line separators.  I might like it more with just spacing.

Edit: was just playing with this more and changed the groups setting.  I'm not a fan of the icon staying the same for different group settings.  I'm also not a fan of the way the separators look in the blocks.  There is nothing really to separate there...

A random thought from someone who doesn't program or understand what I'm talking about:  From what I've read, using font Awesome helps trim down the theme and makes it faster to load?  That and it makes this prettiness possible also.  Why aren't those monochrome icons in Moodle already a font that could be styled?  Then we could have standard images that everyone in Moodle uses, likes and understands that could still be styled as appropriate by the theme.

With that said, I'm not really sure if any of this makes sense to people who know more than I do. 

by David Scotson -
I'm a big fan of this, though I'd go with just spacing rather the seperators.

Does the eye still work? When I tried this with the Bootstrap Glyphicon icon-sprite the javascript was looking for an img tag and failed if it didn't find one. I worked around it by adding an empty and invisible img tag for the JS to find and then used CSS based on the img next door. I believe the same javascript caused problems for the new drop down menu that they're working on for 2.6 in this area.

by Julian Ridden -

I think I like the separators. Might make them a bit lighter and see if that increases the appeal smile

Yes, the eye still works as expected. No issues there. Grab the latest copy out of master to start playing.

Julian

by David Scotson -
My primary test site is following 2.6 master, the Font Awesome icons partly work with the new drop down (so you get the correct hover effect with the icon switching from black to white when the background changes to blue, unlike the standard icons that remain mid-gray) but fails in other ways e.g. the new menu item is missing so you have to click a blank space to get the dropdown, the seperators look odd etc.

Don't know if that's relevant until 2.6 gets released but thought you'd want to know anyway.

Apart from the occasional weird one, like the eye, and some that are hard coded, you should be able to output the i tag from the renderer along with a span.accesshide for the alt text rather than add them via CSS :before and :after and hide the img tag. Then your well on the way to fixing all icons throughout moodle in a way that core Moodle may adopt.

by Eva Ignatuschtschenko -

Hi Julian!

I have kind of an urgent issue. After upgrading the Essential theme yesterday none of the admin settings work anymore - I get an "Main content goes here" screen for all of them. Do you have any idea what I can do?

Thanks in advance!

In reply to Eva Ignatuschtschenko

by Julian Ridden -

Many people are reporting this and sadly it has little to do with the theme. If you read back in the Essential posts that many on Moodle 2.5 are experiencing this. Upgrading to 2.5.1 seems to fix the issue.

regards

Julian

by Julian Ridden -

Please be advised I have pushed a minor bump to the 2.5.3 release of Essential into the Plugins DB and Github fixing the topic highlight issue as well as an experimental feature you can enable using the new edit icons if you would like to help test.

Julian

Attachment topic.jpg

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Julian,

I am excited about the latest release of your theme. The highlight for the current topic topic and the new edit icons look great. I have no opinion whether dividers are necessary or not, but the delete icon should be red in any theme. I did not try out autohide.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Danny Wahl -

Julian,

this theme is really great but font-awesome isn't working for me.  I think I've finally figured it out, but I'm not sure what to do about it.  I seem to be getting bitten by $CFG->themedir  (see MDL-35138, MDL-36056, and MDL-37436)

In reply to Danny Wahl

by David Scotson -
I use $CFG-themedir and it's working for me. I just double-checked in case I was getting a local copy of the font, but Firefox tells me it's loading the font from the themedir I set. I looked at the code and it's checking for themewww, so maybe it's because I've got that set as well?

I think an option to get the font from a CDN (http://www.bootstrapcdn.com/#tab_fontawesome) could be good, and make things slightly faster as well as avoid some of the weirdness people experience. I'd recommend that as the default in fact.

Also, I think you typo'd that middle bug, or at least I can't figure out the link.

by Danny Wahl -

Thanks David,

now that I think about it I wonder something else... I installed it via the new "upload a plugin" page and maybe it actually is installed in /theme and NOT in my themedir path...

by David Scotson -
A random minor bug that'll I'll just leave here while it's on my mind:

The first entry in the Navigation block, "home" needs to be special cased because the underlying HTML is a bit of a bodge. That menu is actually a collapsable one (similar to the Settings block) that's been hacked so that it never collapses shut, and also to make the sub-items line up with the parent item ("home").

As a result you probably want to specify a different icon for that item (perhaps the little house?) and adjust the styles on that ul tag so that it counteracts whatever indentation you're using in the other settings menus and restores the illusion that it's not a sub-list at all.

And, totally unrelated to that, but I just noticed the use of Font Awesome in the performance info, nice touch!

by Julian Ridden -

Just to keep you happy David I have fixed the icon and list alignment of the navigation block.

Don't say I don't listen :P

Julian

by James Cracknell -

Hi Julian

My directory is at d:\websites\moodle\vle\ for my website - however some change in code doesn't like having a website in a sub-directory for fontawesome.

http://vle.ashs.norfolk.sch.uk/

by Rodney Wolford -

Not sure how I should be posting this. I had a problem with Essential theme 2.5.3 and posted it in a separate post:  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=234104

My concern is that as a separate post it will not be seen, since this post seems to get the most traffic.

Basic problem I noted is that there are no editing options for glossary entries. I can switch back to Rocket theme to get them, but why wouldn't they be available in Essential 2.5.3? And if so, where?

Help is appreciated.

Regards,

Rod

In reply to Rodney Wolford

by Bob Puffer -

I can confirm this running version 

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Julian Ridden -

Just letting you know I have updated with a patch. Info listed in the other thread that was started.

by Márton Bacsó -

Dear Julian,

Your theme is really good and almost perfect, I only have a few small problems / wishes:

1.) The first slide rush through when I open the site and then it's place remains completely empty until the second slide gets in.
2.) The language selector menu remains visible, although I disabled it on language settings page.
3.) When I insert an image into one of the marketing spots it only shows up on the site, when I leave the heights setting on 50. When I change it to something else, the image disappears.
4.) Under Internet Explorer 10 my Skydrive repository icon is HUGE... Under Chrome everything is OKO.

+ 1 wish:

Would it be possible to remove the marketing spots and maybe even the slideshow when somebody is logged in? They are really great, and I love them, but they push the news section really low and I want our students to see at least 1-2 news items before they log into one of their courses.

And a questions:

We are using our Moodle site in Hungarian. I have changed a few lines, which are visible for the users (eg.: You, Mobile Apps, Social sites, etc...) and put the file under 'hu' directory. It works great, but when I updated Essentials this morning the directory dissapeared. Is it possible to make them permanent? smile

Thank you for your fantastic work, Essentials is the best Moodle Theme! smile

In reply to Márton Bacsó

by Julian Ridden -

Hi Marton,

Thanks for your feedback. Glad your liking the theme. In answer to your questions.

1. Working on it. Sadly no fix yet
  2. Hopefully in next release
  3. Was not aware of that bug. Will look into that ASAP
  4. that is odd. Not sure how that would be related to the theme. As Skydrive is not Moodle core I won't be fixing it at this time. I can only focus on what is in Moodle core.

As for wish list. I'll keep this under advisement for next release. I really am afraid of getting to a point where we have too many options and Essential becomes unusable. That is not a no however...just will only add if there is enough of a groundswell that I think it will help a significant number of users.

Julian

by Stephen Jordan -

Hi Julian: Thank you for the theme, I think it's awesome! 

In reply to Stephen Jordan

by Julian Ridden -

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you like it.

Julian

by jen ol -
Julian, great job!

Is there a way to add more than 3 rows in a slide text on the front page slide show?

Thank you
In reply to jen ol

by jen ol -
Find it! Maybe it will be useful for any one else

yourmoodle/theme/essential/styles/slides.css
change height in

.da-slide p{
height: 280px;
}

and do not forget to clear caches theme after

by Márton Bacsó -

Dear Julian,

Thank you for your answer! Unfortunately, I came to another problem this evening. Games plugin doesn't work with Essentials. When I set up a game, it gives a blank page with Essentials' background. It works with other themes.

Márton

In reply to Márton Bacsó

by Julian Ridden -
I have some bad news for you Marton. I can only guarantee Essential to work with Core Moodle and make patches and fixes accordingly. I lack the time and resources to get this theme working with every infinite combination brought in by the over 300 extra plugins for Moodle. The fact it works for core activities and not the plugin usually refers to an issue with how that plugin was written. Contacting the author of the plugin may get you the answer you seek. If you do find a solution let me know and I am happy to add it to the theme as long as it breaks nothing else. Julian

by Márton Bacsó -

Dear Julian,

I can understand and accept your point, but the tracker, which you have just closed was originally assigned to the creator of the game module, not you.

I will open an other one, leaving Essentials out this time, but I am afraid, that Vasilis Daloukas won't find it as a priority, since the error only occurs under Essentials.

In reply to Márton Bacsó

Re: Re: Essential theme - 2.5.3 released

by Vasilis Daloukas -

Game now works with Game. The problem was that Essential theme if finds a file named header.php at the directory of a module it uses it.

So renamed the file header.php to headergame.php and changed the references to that file.

by Danny Wahl -

Julian, I had a user report this issue with Zebra theme some time ago, the fix was fairly simple from the theme end (even if it is a plugin issue).  here's my patch if you're interested:

https://github.com/thedannywahl/Zebra_4_Moodle_2/commit/1c34e62adf03a1c194a5a4a562f841da57b0f1f4

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Julian Ridden -

Many thanks Danny,

Please note I am more than happy to apply fixes and get Essential playing happily with others. I sadly just lack the time and resources to find all these third party fixes myself and therefore have to draw a line for support.

I will be applying your fix in the next release.

by Josh Maurer -

Julien - Hi! I have installed Essential twice now and both times when I sign into Moodle with my admin account, the only thing that loads is a blank page. This is after simply installing the theme.  I have not yet applied the theme from within Moodle.  As soon as I remove Essential from the 'theme’ directory, my admin login loads as normal.  As an FYI, I am currently using the complete Windows installation of Moodle (stand-alone computer version) because my company is exploring the product in order to see if we would like to develop our training platform using it.

by Jean-Marc Doucet -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hello

nice job ! Again wink

I have some troubles

1) CONTRIB-4530 

2) I losed my socials networks ;-(

[URL=http://imgur.com/Duu2nLc][IMG][/IMG][/URL]

by David Dunn -

First impressions very positive! You've really pushed the envelope here, Julian.

I look forward to exploring the many interesting features.

Thanks for all the hard work from you and your team.

by Herve Cachelin -

Hi, Julian

This theme is absolutely marvelous. Our Moodle page looks so much better with the Essential theme.

I have one question though: On the course pages, because of the two columns on the right, the space for the content is very narrow.Can it be increased, possibly using css coding?

It could be that you have answered that one before, but I could not find any post on this.

I have not done page-specific css coding before, so if someone can be specific and patient with me, I would appreciate it.

In reply to Herve Cachelin

by Rodney Wolford -

Hello,

Adding information about a new problem I have recently encountered with Essential theme 2.5.3 on Moodle 2.5.1+ that seemed to emerge out of nowhere! Basically, I have lost most editing functions with most standard Moodle quizzes.

The attached image shows it all. This is a portion of a page captured while editing a standard Moodle matching quiz question.

Item marked as 1. Notice how the text is displayed with such poor interline spacing. It is not due directly to the font selection. Instead, Point marked 2 has become UNMOVABLE. The editing box size cannot be adjusted. Period. The only way to edit this text is to select the expand to full screen mode, last icon on top row of tinyMCE.

Item marked 3. This drop down box to allow other selections has stopped functioning. No drop downs available.

Item marked 4. Same issue as 2. Can't expand box by dragging. Can only edit by going to full screen mode.

And Item 5. Drop down box does not function.

I have applied the "final proof" to verify that what I am seeing may be related to the theme: I applied the "Standard" theme and found that the issues just stated did not occur. I have also opened this as an issue in tracker. CONTRIB-4563

Regards,

Rod

Attachment Essential_Problems_editing1.png

by Rodney Wolford -

P.S. I am wrong about areas 3 and 5 marked above. I was clicking the down arrow next to the box. When clicking in the box, they appear. However, items 1, 2, and 4 persist. Hope I haven't lost too much credibility here.

Rod

by Julian Ridden -

Not sure about your issues there Rodney. I can not emulate issues 2-5 on any of my three test sites. They are all working as they should inside the Essential theme. Can anyone else confirm they are experiencing this?

Julian

In reply to Herve Cachelin

by David Dunn -

Julian,

Some feedback.

I second Herve's comment. I'd like the content to take up more space. I deleted the left-hand column of blocks, hoping that the content would magically stretch out, but alas, no.

2. Navig block in the footer looks ugly (see image below):

Navig block in footer

I'm sure that wasn't your intention.

When I collapse the admin block in the regular right-hand menu, then drag it to the footer, there is then no way of expanding the block.

How do I view current topic only? I don't see the icon to toggle that feature.

- David

In reply to David Dunn

by David Scotson -
Regarding 4) isn't that a 1.9 only feature?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

With 4) - it's a course format thing and I think (without spending ages looking) that functionality went in M2.4 (possibly M2.3).  Therefore all themes no longer have that icon.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by David Dunn -

It was present in our previous install, 2.2.1.

It's not an issue except that I'm finding the display one section per page setting very erratic -- it keeps displaying all sections. To view just one section, I have to select it from the navigation block. Weird.

In reply to David Dunn

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear David,

At the time it was a decision to remove the current topic functionality as it was deemed to be confusing to users.  Indeed I had issues with it regarding supporting users with Moodle.

With the 'display one section per page' you should find that the topic section names are actually links that take you to the section so you don't need to use the navigation block.  In M2.3 / M2.4 the old 'Jump to' menu was removed, which I then put back in M2.5 - MDL-34917.

Gareth

by David Scotson -
Ah, we jumped from 1.9 to 2.3 at our institution so I just assumed it had disappeared earlier.

by Bob Puffer -

Highlight current topic was discussed earlier in this very thread around https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=233862#p1016730 and Julian had it fixed.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Bob,

Sorry, but you are wrong.  David stated "How do I view current topic only?" this is different functionality from that of highlighting the current topic with the light bulb.  'View current topic only' was the functionality that gave you a single page with the section and the 'jump to' menu that was in previous versions of Moodle before it was replaced by the course format display options of 'Show all sections on one page' and 'Show one section per page' without the 'jump to' menu for the latter until I put it back in Moodle 2.5.

Gareth

by Bob Puffer -

Yes, you are right... I'm wrong -- its been so long I forgot there was ever something as "view current topic".  This discussion makes a lot more sense now.  Thanks.

by Richard Bakos -

Hello Julian,

After installing and choosing the Essential theme from the theme picker, the theme picker is now broken and I can not use any other theme and the admin menu disappears on certain pages:

Scrren Cap

In reply to Richard Bakos

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Richard,

To get back to another theme, edit the database and look at the 'config' table (possibly 'mdl_config'), then change the row with the attribute name of 'theme' to a value of 'clean'.

What exact version of Moodle are you using as per the version.php file.

Gareth

by Richard Bakos -

I can't even get the content of that page either... Using a alpha release of 2.6:

Changed the value in the mdl_config table, and it's still on the essential theme:

I cleared the browser cache and restarted my apache and mysql servers. I can't clear moodle's cache because the content for that page doesn't show up either.

by Richard Bakos -

From the version.php file:

$version = 2013053000.00; 

$release = '2.6dev (Build: 20130530)'; 

$branch = '26';

$maturity = MATURITY_ALPHA;

by Julian Ridden -

Hi Richard, To point out the obvious you are using ALPHA moodle code. This is unfinished code and full of bugs. I cannot support 2.6 until it is released.

In the meantime just delete the theme from your theme folder on your server and it will revert back to standard by default

Julian

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Richard,

To clear the theme cache manually, empty the contents of the 'MoodleData'/cache/theme folder.

Gareth

by Cyrille Tomen -

I am having issue with the file upload manager, in both general setting and slideshow settings, It does not show up, I only see the loading circle. any pointer as to why and how to fix it?

In reply to Cyrille Tomen

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Eric,

JavaScript is failing for any of many possible reasons.  If you are using 'Chrome' press F12 and look at the 'Console' tab after reloading the page.  It should state any errors that happen and therefore give an indication of what is failing.

Gareth

by Cyrille Tomen -

Thank you for your pointer, there is one error in chrome console:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'get' of null
yui_combo.php?moodle/XXXX/block_course_menu/settings/settings-min.js
I will try to see if I can find the source.

Re: Essential theme - 2.5.3 released - Minor bug

by Vernon Spain -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Julian,

Love your work, as always.

The .img size attribute is messing up the Questionnaire response bars(see below). I cant change this without affecting other images across the site.

The Questionnaire forum directs people to the theme designer..

Any suggestions?

img {
border: 0 none;
height: auto;
max-width: 100%;
vertical-align: middle;
}

Cheers again,
Regards,
Vernon
2.51+
Essential 2.5.3

In reply to Vernon Spain

by David Scotson -
It's not an Essential thing, as you point out it's from the Bootstrap CSS that Bootstrapbase/Clean includes.

I'm sure I looked at this before. Is this the place where they're using tiny little single color images instead of just setting the background-color on a div? If it is I'd just tell them to fix it by using divs.

It looks like it was discussed here, regarding another theme:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=219854

So it seems just setting the height of that image to a particular pixel height should fix this. I don't have questionnaire installed so someone who does will need to figure out the CSS required to target these images. But the right place for the fix is in the Questionnaire module, there's no point multiple different themes including the fix for an optional component (that's doing something a bit weird and unnecessary in the first place).
In reply to Vernon Spain

by Bob Puffer -

Latest questionnaire fixes this (2.5.5).  I fixed it prior to that by using:

.qn-content img {height: 2em;}

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Vernon Spain -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Bob,

I have the latest version of Moodle and the Questionnaire. Your fix doesn't seem to be working for me.

Joseph's fix of commenting out the .img auto code squishes other images.

Have you seen any other fixes?

Cheers,

Vern

In reply to Vernon Spain

by Bob Puffer -

I'd suggest asking Joseph over in the questionnaire forum.

by David Dunn -

Firefox 22 (not tested in other browsers)

Issue with alignment in tree structure blocks (see image below).

misaligned tree structure

The items under the Vocabulary folder should be further right.

by Brian Rigwald -

Before I post anything as a bug, I want to make sure I am not doing something wrong on my end or if it is not a function of the theme.  Here are my questions for anybody:

1) Should the theme expand to meet the screen size?  Mine is not on my wide screen monitor with browser set at 100%.  (If it did expand farther, then my grid boxes might look more centered, hehehe.)

Blocks not going to edge.

2)  I am missing a "Highlight" current topic button.  Perhaps this is an issue/non-feature of the Grid Format add-on?

3)  On the first page in the course, the actual topics are nicely boxed and outlined, but when going to the actual topic, the box/outline is gone.

4)  I know there was discussion earlier about issues with the hover highlight while mousing over activities/resources (be is a solid color/image/or red dotted lines).  There was a code suggested for the Custom CSS, but like Bob Puffer, I am unable to get it to function.

Thanks for your time and patience with this Moodle Newbie and Non-CSS Knowledge Guy.

In reply to Brian Rigwald

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Welcome to the Themes Forum. smile

To answer your questions:

1. Yes I can verify that the Essential theme is a Fixed Width theme see essential/style/custom.css
    .container-fluid {
        max-width: 1200px;
    }
  2. Not sure about the 'current theme highlight button' this I will need to test in my updated version of Essential.
  3. That's probably because the CSS may not be working. Again I will need to test what is actually styled as opposed to what isn't, and what is working and what is not.
  4. Sounds like something is broke!

Hope this helps.

Your site looks nice. If you want tp change the width then either remove the max-width in 1. above, or add something like width: 90%; margin: 0 auto; like so,,,

.container-fluid {
    width: 90%;
    margin: 0 auto;
}

Your site then will be more or less responsive.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Brian Rigwald -

Thanks for the reply, Mary.  big grin

I can confirm that putting 

.container-fluid {
    max-width: 1900px;
}

in the Custom CSS box works.  The other alternative (90%) did not.

I will wait for further insight from yourself and others before I decide on doing a bug report.  I would hate to do one for something that related to the theme.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I don't think its a 'bug' - I think its a conscious decision by the designer (not sure if that's Julian in this case, or if the value is inherited from bootstrap/bootstrapbase) to limit the responsiveness of the theme to a maximum 1200px width.

I do seem to remember a discussion about that a while back, but can't remember whether it was in relation to Essential or one of the other bootstrap themes (may even have been one of the other earlier responsive themes such as Zebra), but it came down to the theme designer (of whichever theme it was) deciding that it looked better restricted to 1200px maximum than allowed to stretch endlessly over bigger and bigger monitors.

Maybe an imporvement suggestion for Julian's next release - a setting which controls the max-width? That would allow site users to decide for themselves.

Perhaps with bigger monitors (or at least higher resolutions) becoming more common, then the idea of responsive themes needs to look at how to deal with those in just the same (or should that be opposite) way to dealing with smaller screens - are there different layouts that become more appropriate on very wide screens - making use of the width to reduce the scroll of death? smile

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Brian Rigwald -

Just an FYI.  I was referring to the other items with regards to the bug report.  I understand the setting of a maximum width, which was easily changed in the Custom CSS.  cool

The other items are of more concern and it appears, not so easily resolved.

by Julian Ridden -

This was a very conscious decision on my part. And yes, as Mary stated you can override this using the Custom CSS she provided typed into your theme settings. While I know I have built lots of customisable features into this theme, I cant make it endlessly customisable either.

Keep sharing these little css snippets in the forums and others can reuse them as well.

Julian

by Brian Rigwald -

Here a little tidbit to add the lines around the topic area:

.clearfix {

border: solid 2px #a71e38;

}

And this does the white background:

#section-1.section.main.clearfix {
background-color:#ffffff;
}

I know I am new here and don't know much, but would it make sense to start a topic dedicated to Custom CSS "tweaks" for Essential?  That way people looking for customization can find it in one location and won't have to try to figure out the wording someone used to describe the code within multiple other threads?

by Julian Ridden -

Just a quick FYI - grid does not have a highlight topic button. Switch to another course format (like topic) and you will see it reappear again.

Julian

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Julian, I've just fixed a few bugs with the layouts.

Also...was wondering why not change to the columns1/2/3 that are in Bootstrapbase in Moodle 2.6 Alpha as these work better now. No need to mess with all those $hassidepre $howsidepre etc...etc...

In reply to Mary Evans

by Julian Ridden -

Can you either email me your layouts or an updated pull request .Happy to get your additions into the core on github.

Sadly "real work" has taken over my load at the moment.

Julian

Can we have the side navigation on the left?

by roshan kolar -

Hi Julian,

I was wondering how I could move the right side navigation column to the left. We love the theme, and we have been using the Aadvark theme for quite sometime now, and my authorities would love the side navigation column to be on the left like the old one so that students and educators find it easy. I know it's not a big deal, but that's how they like it, on the left all the time.

And everyone's in love with Essential. So how can I get this done?

In reply to roshan kolar

Re: Can we have the side navigation on the left?

by Julian Ridden -

Very easy to do in fact. Just go into the Essential theme settings. Here you can change the layout stye to the traditional three column layout rather than the one that Essential uses by default.

Julian

by roshan kolar -

Hi Julian, I actually tried the process before I got to this forum. I tried it again, its in the general tab under the 'Essential' settings right? You have this there : "This theme is designed to put both block columns on the side. If you prefer the standard Moodle course layout you can check this box and be returned to the boring old three column layout."

Sadly this isnt working, I still get the navigation sidebar on the right. Is there something I need to do before I apply this, like a prerequisite?

Looking forward to your passionate help. Cheers!

In reply to roshan kolar

by Mary Evans -

Hi Roshan,

Blocks by their very nature can be physically moved when block editing is enabled on a page. Have you tied moving the Nav block to the left? You can edited it and set it to always be on the left (site wide) too.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by roshan kolar -

Hi Mary,

Unfortunately it didn't help. The sidebar navigation is on the left on all the other pages except the landing page (index page). I've no idea why. I enabled blocks, tried dragging the 'Administration', 'navigation' tabs from the right to left, but it wouldnt stay on the left. But I'm happy that within the website the right side navigation is shown on the left.

The mainpage navigation sidebar needs to go to the left please. Any other means?
Do you need screenshots of the problem, or is it fine?

Thanks,

In reply to roshan kolar

by Mary Evans -

Ah...

In that case you need to make the following changes in essential/config.php

Change these lines...

// Front page.
    'frontpage' => array(
        'file' => 'general.php',
        'regions' => array('side-pre', 'side-post', 'footer-left', 'footer-middle', 'footer-right', 'hidden-dock'),
        'defaultregion' => 'hidden-dock',
        'options' => array('nonavbar'=>true),
    ),

In reply to Mary Evans

by roshan kolar -

Hi Mary,

It's working fine and you are a Rockstar!! heart

In reply to Mary Evans

by Bob Puffer -

Well... I've tried all the suggestions.  The ./config.php change generated site errors.  The change to just the course layout generated a course creation error as did the change to the frontpage layout superimposed on the course layout because I couldn't figure out why I'd change the frontpage layout to get a change to the course layout.  Doing the change for the frontpage layout didn't change anything for the course.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Richard Oelmann -

When you say  ./config.php  that implies the moodle config.php in the root doesn't it? - you should be changing the theme config.php file in /theme/essential/config.php

Richard

by Bob Puffer -

That's correct, Richard, the first suggestion made was to place the line, "$CFG->defaultregion->defaultblocks = ':quickset,activities,quickmail,navigation,settings';" in ./config.php which, as you noted didn't work and caused a site error.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Mary Evans -

Hi Bob, What is it that you are having problems with...?

You seem to very lengthy on woes and short on actual problem data smile

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Bob Puffer -

Well... I guess I don't understand what I'm missing.  What I'm trying to accomplish is to have course front pages show up with one set of blocks far to the right and have the content take up the rest of the space.  If I physically move the blocks the theme responds that way as long as editing is off.  I set up around 1,100 courses per term programmatically so I don't want to have to move blocks for all those courses or have instructors have to move the blocks for all those course.  Unanimous opinion (so far) from my instructors is that they would like their courses with only the far-right column of blocks and no second column of blocks.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Mary Evans -

OK...here is what you need to do.

Set essential/config.php like so...(thats if you want course/incourse & category to have only blocks on the right which is called side-post-only).

// Course page.
    'course' => array(
        'file' => 'general.php',
        'regions' => array('side-post', 'footer-left', 'footer-middle', 'footer-right'),
        'defaultregion' => 'side-post',
         'options' => array('nonavbar'=>false),
    ),
    // Page content and modules.
    'incourse' => array(
        'file' => 'general.php',
        'regions' => array('side-post', 'footer-left', 'footer-middle', 'footer-right'),
    ),
    // Category listing page.
        'coursecategory' => array(
        'file' => 'general.php',
    ),

And make sure you select to have a three column page boring Moodle theme) this should ensure you only get main and side-post only.

Make sue you only have the blocks you want in a course page and set each accordingly using the Block editing tools. Hide the others if need be or delete them

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Bob Puffer -

This is the error I get on all courses when I use these settings:

In reply to Mary Evans

by Bob Puffer -

If I don't select the three-column Moodle page boring format for the theme I only get this message but no other errors and no other content:

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Mary Evans -

Then you are on the right track. There are some problems with the layouts in the Essential theme which I am trying to find time to look at for Julian.

Just to see if it is Essential or Moodle can you test Clean theme and see how your site looks in that theme? 

I suggested to Julian to use bootstrap layouts as these have been updated recently and we are still honing them.

If you set Site Administration > Themes > Theme setting to Allow theme change by URL then you can set Clean theme using ?theme=clean just after the / of your web address for your site. For example:

http://qa.moodle.net/?theme=clean

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Mary

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi all,

I want to share how to add "My courses" to the custom menu in this theme. I copied the attached highlighted code from the theme Cloudyday and pasted it into renderers.php. The attached PDF file will show you where to add the code.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

My Courses

by Mary Evans -

Thanks Hartmut, that's a nice gesture, but it is not as helpful as you think.

If you have never seen inside a theme's renderers.php  you may end up adding the copy text halfway through one of the renderers already present, or shove it to the top above the core_renderer code, or at the very bottom of the page and so that it is excluded from the original renderer, anyone of these places would be the wrong place. Also if you add it to say Afterburner, that already uses a custommenu renderer, you could render your theme useless.

To be helpful you need to upload the full renderers.php which you yourself are using, and point out within it where the added code needs to sit.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Julian Ridden -

As Mary stated.....firstly thanks for sharing Hartmut.

I would be keen to build tis into the Essential core theme but I will need your copy of the full renderers.php file to see how you did it.

If you don't want to post the full file here perhaps you could email me the file instead. I think many would like this functionality in the theme.

Regards

Julian

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Julian,

The attached renderers.php file belongs to version 2.5.4. I am glad to hear that you want to include 'My courses' in Essential. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Julian Ridden -

Thank you for picking up on this and sending it to me.

Added a couple of cool features to master now that I saw how it was done. The "my courses" and "my dashboard" are nows added to the master in Github. Please test and let me know what you think

New features

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Julian,

I am excited about the new features that you added to the theme. I was able to install it manually and test some functionality. So far it looks very good. When I click on "toggle blocks" in a theme setting page, the blocks disappear and leave white space. The main content does not expand. When I refresh the page, the blocks are back again. I admit that I have no clue about the intention of "Toggle blocks," just describing what I see.

I need to test more. Are you also interested in the layout, for example where text overlaps? Where should it be posted?

Adding more setting pages to the theme makes it very flexible. Thanks a lot for your time and work that you invest into this project.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Julian Ridden -

Hi Hartmut,

What you are describing with toggle block is a feature I am still working on before final release to enable admins to remove blocks from report pages to give more room. Not quite finished that bit yet.

If you have bug reports the best thing to use is the Moodle Tracker.

Julian

by Bob Puffer -

How would one go about defining the right-most column of course as having the only blocks in the course.  This is how my config.php looks:

$CFG->defaultblocks_topics = ':quickset,activities,quickmail';
$CFG->defaultblocks_weeks = ':quickset,activities,quickmail';
//
// These blocks are used when no other default setting is found.
$CFG->defaultblocks = ':quickset,activities,quickmail,navigation,settings';

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Mary Evans -

You are talking about root/config I take it and not your theme's config.php?

I dare say that region-post needs to come into play to make this happen.

You could try something like...

$CFG->defaultregion->defaultblocks = ':quickset,activities,quickmail,navigation,settings';

where the defaultregion is set in your theme's config.php for course ...

$THEME->layouts = array(
    // Main course page
    'course' => array(
        'file' => 'general.php',
        'regions' => array('side-pre', 'side-post'),
        'options' => array('langmenu'=>true),
    ),

);

but I'm only guessing...

smile

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

I'm not sure that $CFG->defaultblocks takes defaultregion as an argument, but I would have thought its simpler than that if you only want blocks to the right as your post suggests - just in your theme config.php, remove the side-pre as an option for the regions - as per Mary's example above

'regions' => array('side-pre', 'side-post'),

Richard

by Bob Puffer -

This forum has been wayyyy much helpful.  I've really got a site with which I am very, very happy.  

Wanted to invite anyone to take a look:

http://katie.luther.edu

username = cmeuser

password = cmeuser

Also, wondering about how to make Tiny more WYSIWYG if there's not an editor layout file?

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Mary Evans -

Hi Bob,

Did the config setting work OK for defaultregion?

Thanks for invitation to view your site, it is very nicely put together. Well done!

As for editor.css you can copy the one from Bootstrapbase and then update is using LESS making sure you change the recess code line to compile/compress to your theme's ../style/editor.css and then add the link to the editor.css in your theme's config like so...

$THEME->editor_sheets = array('editor');

That should fix it...I think.

Or alternatively create your own editor.css based on which particular text formatting styles from your theme that you want to use.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Bob Puffer -

Was asked how I achieved the color to the social networking icons so posting it here also.  In Essential's general settings added the following custom css:

.icon-google-plus-sign:before {color: #ff0000;}

.icon-twitter-sign:before {color: #1bb2e9;}

.icon-facebook-sign:before {color: #3b559f;}

.icon-youtube-sign:before {color: #dc1d29;}

by Dora K. -

How could I change breadcrumb so that it doen't transform to uppercase? 

In reply to Dora K.

by Geoffrey Rowland -

From Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Essential > General Settings

Add something similar to the following to the Custom CSS box

.block .header. title h2, .block h3.main, .breadcrumb {

text-transform: none;

}

This will also keep block headings etc in mixed-case to match the breadcrumb, which I prefer for accessibility/readability. Adapt to your own particular needs.

Let me also take the opprtunity to thank Julian et al. for all their work in developing the Essential theme. Brilliant and much appreciated!

Cheers

Geoff

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Oops!

As you have probably worked out, the CSS should read:

.block .header .title h2, .block h3.main, .breadcrumb {

text-transform: none;

}

by eCampus Admin -

Thanks a lot for all your work on this great theme!

Question: how can we get links to open in a new window? Those for:

1. The Social Networking

2. The Marketing Spots

Tried various combination of target="_blank" but with no luck.

Thanks!

by Marius Jugariu -

Quick question if anyone can help: how can I change the timing for the slideshow as our users complained it was changing too fast?

I looked into /essential/jquery/cslider_1.0.js and /essential/jquerycustom_1.0 but it didn't work when I modified the timing. I also looked into theme/essential/style/slides.css but again no joy.

Would it be useful to have a user-friendly option in the settings area to select the timer for the slides?

In reply to Marius Jugariu

by Julian Ridden -

Because of how the JS is cached I cant make this any friendlier.

You were in the right place. But after you change the timing you need to "purge all caches" in Moodle administration.

Julian

by Marius Jugariu -

Thank you for quick reply. I did purge all caches but in one case the slides did not show up at all and in another case it just did not take into account the changes I made, the speed remained the same.

In reply to Marius Jugariu

by Dennis Mix -

Having the same issue. Cleared cache and no change.

by Bob Puffer -

Just a suggestion, move the 'go to the top' button off-center so it doesn't interfere with the majority of submit buttons.

by sonia sonia -

Hi, i tested the theme in Mobile (iphone) and the link to login it doesn't works?....it's normal?

thanks in advance!

by jose merino -

Excelent theme !!!!  

Moodle looks good width it

there any way to increase the number of slides ?

thanks in advance

by Larry Wershbale -

Is there a way to set the height of the marketing boxes?

Re: Essential theme - 2.5.3 released - renaming "Social Networks"

by Derek Runions -

I'd like to rename "Social Networks" (found above the social media buttons/links, but I can't figure out where to make the change.

Can someone let me know what/where to edit to change this?

Thanks,

Derek

In reply to Derek Runions

by Mary Evans -

There are 2 Ways to do this...

1. Edit essential/lang/en/theme_essential.php at line 317 https://github.com/lazydaisy/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/lang/en/theme_essential.php#L317
  2. Read this http://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Language_customization#Quick_instructions_for_the_impatient

The outcome is the same but 1 is quickest if you have access to the theme files.

2 is the only option if 1 is a no go area.

hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Derek Runions -

Thanks Mary,

I tried option 1 and edited line 317 so that it reads

/* Social Networks */
$string['socialheading'] = 'BNSA Website & Social Media';
$string['socialheadingsub'] = 'Engage your users with Social Networking';
$string['socialdesc'] = 'Provide direct links to the core social networks that promote your brand. These will appear in the header of every page.';
$string['socialnetworks'] = 'BNSA Website & Social Media';

but after clearing theme cache and restarting apache (just in case) the header still reads as "Social Networks"

I tried option 2, but "there was an error writing to the database" when it tried to load the language pack.

Suggestions?

by Sergio Bellver -

Hi all.

I have a issue with this theme; it shows a "Incorrect email" when i'm logged!

Attachment Captura de pantalla 2014-09-03 a la(s) 12.31.08.png
In reply to Sergio Bellver

by Floyd Saner -

Sergio,

There is an invalid email address in your Essential configuration.  Look under Site Administration ... Appearance ... Themes ... Essential ... Header.

You likely have "Enable help link in menu" set to "Email address",  and the next field, "Help link", is blank.  Put a valid email address in the "Help link" box, or set the "Enable help link in menu" to "None".

I know this because the same thing happened to me, and it took me a while to figure it out!  I finally had to dig through some CSS code to find out what was being referenced.

Floyd

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Floyd Saner

by sram bengaluru -

Thanks Floyd Saner

I have been looking for this answer from many days, thanks for your answer. It saved me a lot of time.

In reply to sram bengaluru

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hello Moodlers,

It has been some time since David and I took over Essential from Julian and this thread is getting very large and unmanageable.  Therefore please DO NOT post here but instead either make a new post or attach your post to an existing thread that is relevant.

In addition the M2.5 version of Essential will NOT be developed any more.  The latest release - https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=6814 - will be the last (unless a museum needs to make some tweaks for a historical Windows XP display).

Kind regards,

Gareth

Essential Developer and Moderator.