Authentication

Picture of Ron Pluylaar
using user data from moodle in another external database?

Dear All,

Is it possible to use the external database connection in Moodle Authentication to do the following:

Send userprofile fields to another SQL server for use in a different program. So, instead of using X to provide Moodle with useraccount details I would like Moodle to be the provider of user details for another database...

I have no idea if this feasible and I'm not very adept at the database connection vagaries. Any thoughts and ideas highly appreciated.

Sincerely

Ron Pluylaar

Average of ratings: -
Randy Thornton
Re: using user data from moodle in another external database?
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

The basic answer is no, the external db authentication method does not push anything, it only queries/pulls data from the designated external source.

Typical solutions to this are - To write something for the other application to pull from Moodle, if you are treating Moodle as your central user database; or to look at centralizing the user data in a system designed to do that using methods like CAS, LDAP, Shibboleth for authentication by multiple apps.

(Not to say you couldn't write something for Moodle to push that data out, but usually applications are designed to poll/pull from a central data source instead of the other way around.)

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Ron Pluylaar
Re: using user data from moodle in another external database?

Many thanks ! I was afraid this would not be possible. To make my life easier I'll try to convince the client to use the other application as leading so that I am able to just pull the necessary fields into Moodle.

Sincerely

ron

Average of ratings: -