Moodle 2.5 course backup will not restore with user data

Moodle 2.5 course backup will not restore with user data

by Dan Trockman -
Number of replies: 5
I had a few select courses in 1.9.19 that a teacher wanted restored with user data (mainly wanted forums to be kept for continuing use).

I took the 1.9 courses and moved them to a fresh 1.9 server instance and upgraded to 2.2 and then 2.5. The courses upgraded intact and had the user data preserved (note I am not interested in moving the users, just their data).

Next, as "manager' I made backups of the courses to include user data.

I uploaded the courses to our existing 2.5 production server for restore. In each case, when I try to restore, I get to a final step where it is ready to restore but does not include "user" data as an option.

Ideas? Note, I was under the impression that these files would be .mbz, but they are still .zip. I changed the name but that did not improve the situation. Is this an indicator of some sort? Is there still some legacy xml that will not let me move a course via backup?

Help.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Trockman

Re: Moodle 2.5 course backup will not restore with user data

by Roland Goguen -

I have the exact same issue.

Had you ever found a solution?

Thanks

In reply to Roland Goguen

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Moodle 1.9 courses don't restore into 2+ sites with user data (even though you can back them up with data in the 1.9 site.) You would have to upgrade the whole site to Moodle 2 and then backup/restore each course with data.

In reply to Dan Trockman

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

If I understand correctly:
- you backup a course in 1.9
- restore it in another 1.9
- upgraded the second 1.9 successfully to 2.5
- take a backup of the course in this newly upgraded 2.5 site
- restore that backup in a third side, of version 2.5

Lot of work, but I expect it to work.

The question is, why a 2.5 site should make zip backups (step 4)?
In reply to Dan Trockman

by Mark Pearson -

Dan,

So, let's recap, you have migrated your 1.9.19 site via 2.2 to version 2.5, right?

To move a discussion Forum with the user discussion you do need to move the users too. The data is attached to user accounts and so, yes, without the user account info no user data will get backed up or restored. So do the course backup with Users and user data -- you will be able to just select the forum that you want to transfer.

The course backup should be .mbz format for a version 2.x installation as Visvanath points out. If that is not the case then you should open  Site administration > Notifications and check the version of moodle that you are actually running.

Mark

In reply to Mark Pearson

by Dan Trockman -
I was under the impression that you can move anonymous posts. There is an option for that.