Installation help

Picture of Yvonne Zaborac
Moodel Hosting

What hosting service do you recommend?  Right now I have BlueHost but their down time is unacceptable and the site is very slow. 

Yvonne

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rick Jerz
Re: Moodel Hosting
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yvonne, I just recently got an account on BlueHost (it was free to faculty), and it was looking good.  I wasn't planning on moving my Moodle to BlueHost, I just wanted to experiment a little.  Quite honestly, I was pleased to be able to set up Moodle 2.5 quite quickly, from scratch, on BlueHost.  Your post about BlueHost's downtime, and their speed, has me concerned about maybe moving to BlueHost in the future.

1) What type of account do you have with BlueHost?  A shared hosting server?  A VPS?

2) What do you mean, downtime?  Were there too many periods where it simply was unavailable?

Relative to your question, right now, I have my small Moodle site running on a GoDaddy VPS ("Value").  Uptime has been excellent, performance is good.

Picture of Doug Moody

Ultimately, you won't be happy with GoDaddy. they do not stay current with the latest PHP versions, plus, they hide the moodledata directory behind some very funky folder permissions. Plus, they are unresponsive to requests for upgrading. I know this because I hosted Moodle with them for years, until I understood they are just in it to try to get as many accounts as possible, overloading their shared hosts, and making it slow for everyone. You, the individual customer, are not very important to them for that reason. They want quantity over quality.

I went through several shared hosting companies before finally settling on moonami.com. They specialize in moodle. Check them out. They are new, but they WILL work with you.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Rick Jerz

Yep, what Doug says is correct about a GoDaddy hosted server.  However, if you are looking for a VPS, then the issues are a little different, since you can install the versions of PHP and mySQL that you want to run.

I am always interested in other companies.  I went to moonami.com, clicked on the "Learn More" button, and got an error message (404).  Hmmm.

Doug, do you have a hosted account with moonami?  Do you mind mentioning what it costs?

Picture of Doug Moody

Rick

Hmm. I just went to moonami and it worked fine. Can you try again?

Picture of Rick Jerz

Interesting.  I thought... maybe my browser, so I tried Firefox.  Still get a 404 when I click on the "Learn More" button.

Gmads
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Rick,

Just to confirm... I clicked the Learn more button and I also got a 404 not found error message.

Prices in here: http://moonami.com/pricing/

Picture of Rick Jerz

Guillermo, thanks for confirming that I am not going crazy.

Thanks for the link to their pricing, which is what I wanted.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera

Me at the Moodle Moot NZ11

I'm not sure if it does, they are being careful not to use the Moodle logo in conjunction with the phrase Moodle hosting.

Must admit I was a bit surprised that people think this pricing is especially good?
I think most Moodle Partners would have prices similar to this - e.g. 1,000 users, +/- $250 per month (who needs 100Gb of space for a Moodle site with a couple of hundred users!)

Picture of Rick Jerz

Interesting observation about their pricing.  I am small, and I noticed their $20/month for 100 users.  This is not a bad price from what I have seen, and I don't believe that some partners start this low, for example, Moodlerooms.  But as you pointed out, their $250/mo for 1000 users might be competitive with others.  But I have never compared pricing at this level of users, so I have no idea at all.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Thought I've seen this. Here it is: 'Installation Problem -- Intermittent "Dataroot location is not secure"' https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=217679.

You get the complete picture through: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/search.php?id=5&forumid=94&subject=hosting.

Picture of Joe Kirby

I am using two hosting companies.

One is Arvixe.  I would rate them as a C+ or B-.

The other is Site5. I think they are an A- or B+.

Both companies are general internet hosting companies and not value added moodle hosting companies, so their rates are low.  Site 5 provides pretty good moodle help with set ups, cron issues.

Good Luck

Picture of hiddencamerahub Nathan

Thanks

Picture of Sergio

I'm using vps of http://hosteurope.de

Great price and best servers.