student's picture on the screen during quiz

student's picture on the screen during quiz

by Adrian Dusa -
Number of replies: 15
Hi all,

I have about 300 students to test. Even for those who attend classes regularly it is hard to remember who is who, and I really cannot say anything about those who attend rarely or not at all.
In order to make sure that the person filling in the quiz is exactly the student that is supposed to be (the exams are held at the info lab inside our faculty), it would be really helpful to have the student's picture on the screen at all times, to compare it with the student's face.
I can scan the picture from the student's registration file.
I am not a programmer, but I reckon it shouldn't be very hard to do in Moodle, since the user already has the possibility to add a picture.

All the best,
Adrian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adrian Dusa

Student's picture on the screen during quiz

by Jan Dierckx -
Oops ... I thought this one would be relatively easy to add to the quiz module, as the Quiz module already allows blocks to be displayed. Unfortunately I discovered that the Quiz page allows blocks to be displayed only before attempting the quiz. (see screenshot)
As such my block is not very useful. You could try adding
print_user_picture($user->id, $course->id, $user->picture, true, false, false);
somewhere in the footer of your theme.

It seems the code to display blocks on every page has not yet been added to the attempt.php file. Will it be added later on?

Are you sure posting user pictures is really a solution for students switching identities? You would need to disable students uploading their own pictures / make sure that students can't change the browser's cache / etc.... Is it worth it?
Attachment guesswho.jpg
In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: Student's picture on the screen during quiz

by Adrian Dusa -
Hello all (again),

I got another idea last night (they usually come that way) so that students can do nothing to cheat:

why not having *two* databases for pictures, one of them to be 'official' where only teachers and secretariat can upload the pictures...
On formal quizes, it is much more simple to add a feature like "force official picture database" instead of locking profiles, don't you think?
This way students cannot change anything: problem solved.

What do you say?
In reply to Adrian Dusa

Re: student's picture on the screen during quiz

by Timothy Takemoto -
Nice idea Adrian,

From the point of view of "objective self awareness theory" (1971 Duval and Wicklund) the presence of the photo on the screen should also encourage students to be less likely to cheat in other ways since "self-focus" is shown to increase pro-social (moral) behaviour.

Timothy
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Ger Tielemans -
Timothy,
do you have more references on that topic? I am very interested.
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Timothy Takemoto -
Yes, I have lots more. I do very little research these days, but when I do it is on this topic - and particularly the fact that the same phenomena is not found among Japanese. Do you want me to send you a list of papers? If you can use Psychinfo then just type in objective self-awareness. Also I believe that Dr. Franzoi has done a recent review, but I am not sure. He did write a review a few years previously.

Franzoi, S. L., & Davis, M. H. (2005). Self-awareness and self-consciousness. In V. Derlega, B. Winstead, & W. Jones (Eds.), Personality: Contemporary theory and research. pp. 281-308. 3rd edition. Belmont, CA: Thomson Wadsworth.

It is not avaiable from Dr. Franzoi's web site
http://www.marquette.edu/psyc/franzoi.html

If you can get the above then I would very much like a copy!

I can also send a ppt if you are interested but I think that you would need the explanation to go with it.

Timothy
In reply to Adrian Dusa

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Really good idea. approve

It would quite simple to add a picture (and name) to the quiz attempt screen, as well as an option for the teacher to enable/disable this feature.

I've added feature request (bug 3156)to the bug tracker.

A student could currently change their image if they were determined, but in combination with the user profile field locking this wouldn't be a problem.
In reply to Adrian Dusa

by Jan Dierckx -
I thought adding it as a block would be easier, as you could add configuration to the block itself (where it belongs) and you can use the same block in other modules... to increase this self awareness Timothy was talking about.
Here is the block I was working on, if someone wants to continue it. Just put the file it in a  new directory eg /moodle/blocks/userpicture  and visit the admin page of your Moodle install.

Like I said it doesn't display in Moodle Quiz attempt, only in Quiz view.
In reply to Adrian Dusa

by Adrian Dusa -
Thanks for your replies and sorry for my delay (I receive all messages in digest).
Uh, yes I think it worth it; usually students are ahead of teachers on computers, but in my case (sociology, where most of the students have little experience) it should be ok. I have a second database with students' registration photos; I can easily double-check should there be any suspicion.
I believe there will be attempts to by-pass all protection systems we might think of, but generally I feel comfortable when I can check all sorts of things.
I totally agree with the self-awareness theory and I expect this feature to drastically reduce the cheating probability.
In the mean time, I will try your suggestions and wait for the next release of the quiz module ;)
Best,
Adrian
In reply to Adrian Dusa

by Dusa Adrian -
Dear all,

Some months ago I started this thread about using pictures during a quiz exam. As everyone seemed to be very interested, I wonder if there has been some coding in this direction.

I thought if I bring it up again, the interest could rise again. If I remember correctly, this feature was added to the wish list, right?

Thank you in advance,
Adrian
In reply to Dusa Adrian

by Ger Tielemans -
What is the status of this?
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Jan Dierckx -

Ger, I just checked with the latest Moodle. The quiz code has not yet been adopted to allow blocks to be added to the actual quiz attempt page. Blocks can only be added to the Quiz info page, the one that shows up before a student starts a quiz. As such the block is not a solution.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Ben Davis -
any updates along these lines, or an update for the block above?

.. note... must run notifications to get it to work (just found that out)

is it possible to display the large pic??
In reply to Ben Davis

by Ger Tielemans -
Is it not possible to have the picture of the student in a popup screen like the timeticker popup?