How to insert special characters which is not exist in text editor?

How to insert special characters which is not exist in text editor?

by QLD BNE -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I am creating math course and I did not see some important special characters used in math in the text editor such PI, Angle etc. Is there any way to include these characters into the text editor or some workaround? It's hard to to screenshow of PI and special characters to insert into the questions and answer these question for the students!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to QLD BNE

Re: How to insert special characters which is not exist in text editor?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you want full access to Maths symbols you will need more than inserting special characters. I posted about this yesterday at

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=233552#p1014580

And you can look up symbols at the following link

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/LaTeX:Symbols

However this may not be usable if you are not admin on your Moodle install

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to QLD BNE

by Christian Herman -

You're right that many math symbols are missing, but pi is there, right where it should be between omicron and rho.  Lower left corner.

In reply to Christian Herman

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The MathJax pi is far better looking <grins/>

In reply to Marcus Green

by QLD BNE -

Hi Marcus,

I copied the customized html but did not work. Is there any step by step instruction to follow which includes required permissions? Math tools also did not work with my system and no one able help me so far smile)) Even funnier thing is there is no instruction about the required permissions.

@Christian, I noticed that after your message but I dont think that is the known standard PI. If I use that no one will recognize.

In reply to QLD BNE

by Christian Herman -

The default font of the editor is so sans serif that it strips pi of much recognizability.  However, if you use a serifed font, it will output differently, even if the appearance in the selection window doesn't change.

Default: π

Georgia: π

Times New Roman: π

In reply to Christian Herman

by QLD BNE -

Thanks very much, you are right smile Oh I screen captured and added into many question what a waste of timesmile))

In reply to QLD BNE

by Marcus Green -

With reference to getting Mathjax working, check that the Javascript really is being included by looking at the source code of any page and search for the string Mathjax. 

Then check you have your symbols surrounded by double dollar signs

$$\pi$$