Repositories

Cant Create Instance

Picture of Colin Worf
Cant Create Instance

I just enabled the File system repository, and when I try to create a new instance called "handbook" the page refreshes and nothing happens. Something appears to be wrong here can anyone help?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Cant Create Instance
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

File System Repostiories turned on just creates a 'repository' folder in moodledata.  The system admin, one who has access levels to the operating system, must manually create a folder inside moodledata/repository/ in order to create a file system repo in the Moodle UI.  The manually created folder must also have permissions to be seen/read from Moodle.

See: http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/File_system_repository

which oddly enough is under Managing Content of the 25 site documentation.  Ans so it goes ... the oft forgotten person behind the scenes. :|

If on a remotely hosted system, you'll have to use whatever tool your provider has for managing files/folders to create your 'handbook' folder in moodledata/repository/ and set ownership/permissions on 'handbook' such that apache can see it.

BTW, one cannot use anything of the Moodle UI to upload to that area.  Must use other means (ftp/scp/etc.) to get files into the 'handbook' folder.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Colin Worf

OK that is super helpful, I actually did try to create the folder using my ftp software, but I was under the impression that once I created an instance, another folder would show up as a child folder. for example, if I created the "courses" folder manually, then created the instance called "handbook" under "courses", would I then see "handbook" as a child folder to "courses" in my ftp program? I guess im just not familiar with the concept of an instance.

Picture of Ken Task

The 'repository' folder (directory) has to be called that if you create it manually and didn't let Moodle create it for you.  If Moodle does it, the folder/directory is already tagged as belonging to apache (web server) user and has permissions that it needs.  It must be readable by Moodle which runs under the web server user (apache).  When you used FTP to create a 'course' was that inside the repository folder/directory and did you check it's permissions to assure apache server can at least see the folder?

If, you had created a zip of the 'handbook' folder as it exist on your local machine, one could FTP the zip to the 'repository' folder and un-zip using the FTP software.   Then, after un-zipping, must set permissions to  the resulting unzipped 'handbook' folder recursively such that 'handbook' and all files contained in the extracted 'handbook' folder/directory are readable by the apache (web server) user.

The repos you name in Moodle UI are really just DB references.  So, one could, after creating the folders and uploading the files, set up a file system repo named 'handbook' that points to moodledata/repostiory/handbook. 

Think I'd try to keep the organization and levels of folders as simple and as few as possible for sake of linking correctly.  Also highly recommend NOT using spaces NOR caps in file names of folders or files.

Also, if you truely feel the previous response was 'super helpful', then please rate it useful.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Colin Worf

Ken, I thank you so much for your help, I just have one last question. How would one link directly to the html file in the repository, for example, I am linking to an html which displays a page containing a single iFrame which runs the digital handbook flipbook html5 program. when I try to link to it using the file picker it copies the file, or creates a shortcut to it which ruins the links to data within the html, nither one works and gives me 404 errors, If I had the exact directory I could just write the <a href> code myself, but I cant seem to figure it out

Picture of Colin Worf

Figured it out... smile

Picture of Ken Task

Good!  Mind sharing back the solution in case others have similar issue?

'spirit of sharing', Ken