Recommended Load Balancing algorithms for moodle

Recommended Load Balancing algorithms for moodle

by m M -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

I'm new to moodle so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

I'd like to know what are the recommended load balancing algorithms for a moodle system using 3x web servers.  I have googled but could not find any recommendations. We are expecting a maximum of 50-60 users at any given time.  I'd also like to know what methods of session management are recommended for this kind of setup

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to m M

Re: Recommended Load Balancing algorithms for moodle

by Albert Ramsbottom -

For what Load Balancer? This is why you cant find any, Hardware load balancers have these built in.  Just point and shoot as it were. If you use Apache Balance Manager (Free) software load balancer then it comes with 3 basic balance settings

• byrequests: weighted request count balancing;
  • bytraffic: weighted traffic byte count balancing;
  • bybusyness: pending request balancing.

Hope that helps. I wouls recommend using your organisations load balancer, just give the network guys your 3 IPs and then make sure that they set the session afinity stuff

In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by m M -

The load balancer is a netscaler.  We are using the file based session management but we are experiencing an issue with the amount of session files grows rapidly and causes performance problems.  When we delete the sessions the performance issues immediatly stop.

The short term solution is to delete these files at regular intervals, but what could be the root cause of this issue?

In reply to m M

by m M -

wanted to edit my previois post to say that the load balancer we will be using is

big-ip F5

thanks

In reply to m M

by Albert Ramsbottom -

You shouldnt have any problems from an F5 load balancer but endith my knowledge on the subject

In reply to m M

by Albert Ramsbottom -

A short term solution would be to turn this file based session management off and use moodles database sessions.  Which is now enabled by default. so check this

In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Or, consider using memcache for sessions: MDL-31501

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Anna Jonna Ármannsdóttir -

I believe that both is better ;) I am using moodle database sessions for not loosing a single session and am trying to set up memcached offloading for sessions. There must be lots of people that have done this. Come on! It cant be that hard!