Best Moodle hosting company

Best Moodle hosting company

by Sizwe Dumisani -
Number of replies: 36

Greetings

I'm new to Moodle and online course development. I'll be creating online IT Training courses shortly and would like to get a feel for which of the many Moodle hosting companies are in the top 3. I see references to HostGator and BlueHost. What is the general consensus of the best (few bugs, & good integration with Moodle) Moodle hosting company?

sdumisani@gmail.com

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sizwe Dumisani

Re: Best Moodle hosting company

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you are looking for dedicated Moodle hosting, you should have a look at the official Moodle partners in your area on http://www.moodle.com
(Obviously I'd recommend my own employers at Synergy Learning!).

Moodle partners may work out a bit more expensive than generic hosting, but you will benefit from specific Moodle expertise and also help to  fund the ongoing development of Moodle.
In reply to Davo Smith

by Doug Moody -

http://moonami.com

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Doug Moody

by Alan Kmiecik -

I too am looking for a good discussion on Moodle hosting companies.  I am looking for pure hosting not a shared Moodle system (i.e. Moodlerooms).

Moonami is expensive and has user limitations

Hostgator has developed serious performance and up-time issues over the past few months.  And has limits on number of files on the server (eg too many files = no backup

Bluehost is connected with Hostmonster and Hostmonster is an awesome hosting company (specifically customer service) but has a limitation on number of tables so, two (maybe three) Moodle instances ends up being the limit (that is for the$8/month package).

Has anybody found a hosting company that knows Moodle and is willing to help tweek for performance?

The Moodle Partner page has nothing

In reply to Alan Kmiecik

by Brian Yare -

My host, FreeOla in the UK offers hosting with unlimitted web-space.

Their support is excellent, at least for their VIP customers. The price is acceptable at least to me. I would recommend them, if only for the fact that problems are responded to in a timely fashion and it is possible to speak to them by phone.

I don't know what your needs are. I am hosting several applications with them, but the Moodle is relatively small.

In reply to Brian Yare

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Alan. I'm not sure what you mean by "the Moodle partner page has nothing" The page http://moodle.com/partners/ takes you to a drop down where you can select your country and needs and then get straight to the websites of appropriate Moodle partners who offer hosting.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Roberto Catanuto -

Thanks, then after you run your course installed on the moodle server of some company, can you also download it and migrate on your own server if you then have one?

Or is the course owned by the company?

Thanks!

In reply to Roberto Catanuto

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I wouldn't sign up to get Moodle hosting if they didn't let me take backups of my course. However one of the peculiarities is that many Moodle sites have slight customisations and you might not get a copy of them. 

In reply to Alan Kmiecik

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

All Moodle Partners should be able to provide you with an excellent hosting service. It probably won't be the cheapest, but that's not what you asked for.

It's not a franchise system, so all MPs are different. Identify your requirements and ask for further information and quotes from several until you find one you like wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by john Simpson -

This argument of using a moodle partner will continue forever in moodle forums. 

Are moodle partners a sensible choice for private individual teachers on a near zero start-up budget? And if not. What should they do. They are attracted to moodle due to the fact that moodle is open source.

For an established institution with at least 500 students ready to enrol, yes it is advisable to get a moodle partner.

In reply to john Simpson

by Samuel Witzig -

>This argument of using a moodle partner will continue forever in moodle forums. 

I think you are right. Some time ago, I wrote a post regarding a similar issue (in the context of one-click-installers), and I think the arguments apply here as well: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=264556#p1146867.

Maybe we should create a Moodle-Doc site for this issue?

In reply to Davo Smith

by Tannis P -

I found this site when trying to figure out the same things.... It does a comparison. Not sure if I should believe it though?

http://www.moodleking.com/

In reply to Tannis P

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
whois moodleking.com

Registrant Name: Jenifer Haney
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 19095 E Bonney Court
Registrant City: Parker
Registrant State/Province: Colorado
Registrant Postal Code: 80134
Registrant Country: United States

Noting that the 10/10 'best host' is brightcoreconsulting.com, is this a bizarre co-incidence or some particularly unpleasant advertising. Who am I to judge?  wink

whois brightcoreconsulting.com

Registrant Name: Christopher Swenson
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 19095 E Bonney Ct
Registrant City: Parker
Registrant State/Province: Colorado
Registrant Postal Code: 80134
Registrant Country: United States
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

(Just noting for accuracy.. ) the site says (quote) providing course content creation services is not an available service from these so-called partners but then actually lists a Moodle Partner (Remote Learner) which DOES provide course content creation services. (And I believe others do also)

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
"a bizarre co-incidence or some particularly unpleasant advertising"?
Ha, ha, ha!

Great observation, BTW.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by David Bezemer -

Moodle™ King does not accept any advertising from vendors. Our list is not for sale to any of the vendors you see listed. If you are a vendor, you are more than welcome to submit a listing request and references for review.

-right-

by Tannis P -

I agree! I started referencing and checking out each site they refer to, and their rates are not accurate. I love the "coincidence vs advertising" Howard! lol Good work!

by Howard Miller -

Just in case anybody is interested, checking again...

whois moodleking.com
Registrant Name: Registration Private
Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
Registrant Street: DomainsByProxy.com
Registrant Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
Registrant City: Scottsdale
Registrant State/Province: Arizona

(This means they are, effectively, 'hiding' their registration now) Did we rattle somebody's cage perhaps? As they saying goes, "would you buy a used car from this man?" wink

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

big grin

Interesting observation about moodleking.com

www.moodleking.com: <meta name="generator" content="WordPress 3.0.1" />

Two of the top three ratings on moodleking.com are:

10/10: Brightcore Consulting. <meta name="generator" content="WordPress 3.7.1" />

7/10: Atomic LMS. <meta name="generator" content="WordPress 3.7.1" />

Lots of WordPress... What a coincidence!

The second highest rating is: 8/10: Convergent Systems. That site is empty with directory browsing enabled! It shows just "Index of /" on the home page. I wonder, how then did they get to position number two?

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Luis,

Well, the meta name generator tag only shows the program used to develop the site, so it's Ok, the site is used to sell. However, if Brightcore Consulting isn't a Moodle Partner, how come they are using the word "Moodle" at their site?

In reply to Tannis P

by Stuart Mealor -

I think this conversation and that http://www.moodleking.com/ website are US focused ?

I was struck by the paragraph on the front page:

"Being a Moodle™ partner means that you have to over charge and return that revenue to Moodle.com in exchange for being listed as a partner. In addition, providing course content creation services is not an available service from these so-called partners."

Just to add a comment (as a Moodle Partner) 1. we never "over-charge" for anything (I don't know how "over-charge" can be quantified as a statement?), 2. we provide content creation services (and I'm sure other Partners do too), and 3. why refer to 'so-called Partners'?, when they are Partners.  This seems like a purposefully negative paragraph, rather than a balanced review of Moodle services - which would actually be a very valid resource smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Sizwe

There is a misunderstanding somewhere.

You ask for "the best (few bugs, & good integration with Moodle) Moodle hosting company". The Moodle which is discussed here is available for download at http://download.moodle.org/. If the hosting company does the same, they have no control over the bugs.

Same thing with "integration with Moodle", doesn't make sense.

by Randy Shuttleworth -

We just received a notice from Hostmonster that we have too many tables. We have 3 Moodles running on our site (2 production, 1 test). I am going move to another hosting service. Interesting that Blue Host is part of Hostmonster. Anyone had experience with Site 5, or Greengeeks?

In reply to Randy Shuttleworth

by Peter Munro -

Hi

I have spent much time trying to setup moodle on my dedicated server.   just signed up to HostGator and the autoinstall set it up in a minute.

Some of the moodle partners are expensive and better for larger organizations.  Has anyone made a chart that lists the moodle hosting companies?

Hostgator seems OK, but the add ons can he expensive.

Peter

In reply to Peter Munro

by Howard Miller -

It's hard to recommend these one-click solutions as it often locks you in to that solution. Make sure you ask them how you can upgrade on the same branch or move to another one. What support will you get? It's hard to give specific support here when we (and also you) have no idea what the custom install script actually did.

You are also trusting them not to have modified Moodle. It wouldn't be the first time that advertising and the like has been embedded (and who knows what else?).

I would *never* use such scripts. Always download Moodle from moodle.org if you are self-installing. 

In reply to Peter Munro

by john Simpson -

Ive got hostgater. but I manually installed moodle 2.71 on it. My guess is that you have an old version of moodle using their quick install, meaning that you will need to upgrade sooner. I would follow the instructions to install it yourself on hostgator, it's not difficult and if you do have a problem, hostgator will fix it for you.

If you really want instant install of moodle, try http://www.gogethosting.co.uk/ as they have moodle 2.71 ready to install on their control panel. They've got it because I asked them for an up to date moodle of which they obliged.

Any problems, and they are most helpful.

by DP2Web - -

I am looking for a LMS hosting for my Moodle website EduKart in India. I have user base of 10000+ users on my website with concurrent users of 100-200 at any instance.

I am also looking to my make my another website DP2Web on moodle, how can I implement moodle as a informative blog template website? Where can i find Free downloadable templates / plugins for Moodle?

In reply to DP2Web -

by Eddie Mayan -

I will personally recommend you to try managed moodle hosting service if you want your backup secure and if your site is for all over the world you have to get load balancer service ( cloud technology) so it will effect on your load time. Get more idea here => Moodle Hosting

Thank you.

In reply to Eddie Mayan

by Howard Miller -

Or speak to a Moodle Partner where a (significant) part of your hosting fees go straight back into Moodle development wink

by Eddie Mayan -

Can you please elaborate it!

In reply to Eddie Mayan

by Howard Miller -

You buy any Moodle services through a registered Moodle Partner and 10% of the fees are paid directly to Moodle HQ to further the development of Moodle. That's part of the deal of becoming a Moodle Partner. 

Therefore by the simple act of using a Moodle Partner you are "paying back" to improve and support Moodle. 

by Grant Mucha -

Good afternoon,

After reading the various posts above, it seems a few users are frustrated with Moodle hosting and servers.

I am an expert in moodle development, setup and operation. Over the past 3+ years I have setup and currently run dedicated moodle servers.

Typically I am not one to boast, however my clients are extremely happy with my servers, their performance and my customer service.

I operate dedicated servers in the USA and Europe specifically designed for Moodle. Due to extensive database calls Moodle requires an above average number of IOPS. Total number of I/O operations per second (when performing a mix of read and write tests). Therefore it is nearly impossible to run Moodle successfully in a shared hosting environment. Of course it can be done if you are only running a small moodle site with less than 50 students. It also makes a huge difference if the server is run locally, like on campus or online.

I am a Moodle Advocate. If you need help or want advice on hosting please feel free to contact me on Skype. I believe in Moodle and I dislike hearing about owners and managers struggling with servers and performance issues.

Sincerely,
Grant Mucha
Linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/grantmucha/

by Brian Merritt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Sizwe

I use cloud servers personally (Digital Ocean - $20 a month for 2GB server) but you need someone to set up the server for you.  If you know anything about Linux I could send you my config, which hosts multiple domains and has space for test Moodle / WordPress / etc development and staging sites.

I have clients that use hostgator, and apart from needing to set up the right php version in the .htaccess they seem to get on well.  

Re Moodle partners, you will pay more but they understand the performance requirements of Moodle.  If you think you will be scaling to hundreds of students or more (simultaneously) then they are a good way to go.

All the best

Brian

In reply to Brian Merritt

by Howard Miller -

Moodle Partners are often mentioned in the same breath as "pay more" but we often are not comparing like with like. Struggling away to "do it yourself" is not the same thing as trusting your site to somebody who's day job is deploying and supporting Moodle. This doesn't only apply to Moodle Partners of course, but when researching hosting you have to be honest with yourself about your skill levels. Time, as they say, is money and if you want to get teaching you might be better to entrust your site to someone who can sort it out for you. 

In reply to Brian Merritt

by Alan Kmiecik -

Hey Brain, 

I am having an issue with current hosting provide.  The typical "unlimited everything" until you start using it.

Apparently my Moodle 2.7 (PHP 5.5) install with one user (me) doing stuff in Theme Designer mode, is causing high CPU utilization.  Webhostinghub is threatening to kick me off the server.

Would love to learn a bit more about your config and try setting a virtual server up.

Can you post that config info as an attachment?

In reply to Alan Kmiecik

by john Simpson -

Either with a virtual server or a real Ubuntu server try this, and the installation instructions here on moodle.org documents.

In reply to Alan Kmiecik

by Howard Miller -

Theme designer mode results in a *lot* of processes being created on the server for each page load. It can flag up DOS attack alerts which may be why you are in this situation. Why not load Moodle on a local PC and do your theme dev there. Then transfer the results to the production machine?