How is it possible for users to show up in "Online users" block but not activity logs

How is it possible for users to show up in "Online users" block but not activity logs

by Alex Greene -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

I am running a 2.4.4+ site and have noticed something interesting. Three times now I have had different students who show up in the online users block at odd times of day, but when I look in the course logs there is no activity for these accounts at all. Not even login attempts. Any ideas how this is possible? I have found that suspending the accounts and even changing the password has no effect - the names still persist in online users. The only way I have found around this is to delete the account altogether.

Thanks for any ideas.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alex Greene

Re: How is it possible for users to show up in "Online users" block but not activity logs

by Doug Moody -

Just a thought, but is it possible the users who are invisible are registered in a different time zone (utc -4) than the server is in? That would affect the log report because if you were looking for someone in a certain time frame, but they are in a different time zone than the report is looking at, then it might not show up.

I admit this is a longshot. If the logs are doing this, then it is a moodle bug, because reports ought to show the time users hit the server. But this is the only thing I can think of that might cause the symptoms you describe. Do let us know how you solve this, if you do.