Marking with .25's with a marking guide - M2.4

Marking with .25's with a marking guide - M2.4

by Randah Mouallem -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everyone!

I am stuck and in need of help! I have an instructor who created a marking guide for an assignment out of 5. There are 5 levels, each is out of 1. She would like to be able to give students a mark of 0, 0.25, 0.5 or 1 for each level.

No matter what I do, I cannot make it add up properly. I created custom scales, tweaked those scales but for the life of me I cannot make it add up right.

The scale I have right now looks like this: 0, 0.25, 0.5, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2, 2.25, 2.5, 2.75, 3, 3.25, 3.5, 3.75, 4, 4.25, 4.5, 4.75, 5

The thing that boggles my mind the most is the math. For example:

Student 1 should get 3.5, they get 2.5

Student 2 should get 4.75, they get 3.5

Student 3 should get 3.75, they get 2.75

Student 4 should get 1.75, they get 1.25.

Some are off by only .25, some are off by 1.25. Any suggestions on how to make this work? I know they can just override the final mark in the grader report to show proper math, but that defeats the purpose. Their curriculum is set by the government, so they cannot change it to be out of more than just 1 per level and 5 for the assignment.

Anyone??

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Randah Mouallem

Re: Marking with .25's with a marking guide - M2.4

by Ellen Marie Murphy -

Randah,

Is the teacher using a rubric, or a scale? If you are using a scale, it looks like you are missing numbers, which could effect the way Moodle is calculating your totals. To Moodle the names on a scale don't mean anything numerical. It uses each item as a unit and each of them is spaced equally. I hope this makes sense.

In reply to Ellen Marie Murphy

by Doug Moody -

Ellen is right. Why are you using zero? Putting  a zero in there affects the math. I notice you have 20 numbers, but 20 goes into 100 5 times. That means the math would break on boundaries of 5. The example you gave is trying to make the breaks on boundaries of 4, so moodle is showing you a rounding error. In other words, your example won't let moodle do even integer division because your samples are only evenly divisible by 5.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Randah Mouallem -

I tried it with and without the 0, and it still wasn't working right. Removing the zero bumps everything up 0.25, so I'm getting closer...but still not quite there. 1 of the 4 students shows up correctly.

In reply to Ellen Marie Murphy

by Randah Mouallem -

I am using both for now. I created a marking guide and set it the grade to use my scale, it appeared to be the only way Moodle would recognize the .25's and 0.5's. It looks like the only number I'm missing is 0.75, that's in my actual scale but just missed it in my forum posting.

When I set it to be graded out of 5, without a scale, it rounds to the nearest whole number even though I have it set to show decimal points.

Student 1 gets a 3 instead of 3.5

Student 2 gets a 3 instead of a 4.75

Student 3 gets a 3 instead of 3.75

Student 4 gets a 1 instead of 1.25