Approval required? Not working as expected.

Approval required? Not working as expected.

by Ronald Gardner -
Number of replies: 5

We use the database activity as a roster for the student to enter their contact information. In our old version of moodle I would set the approval required setting so the student would only see their own information.  It is not working with the 2.xxx version we have now. I only want the student to make one entry and see and edit their own data.  But when I use my student test persona, I can see all the data.  What am I doing wrong?

Approval required?

If set to "yes", the entry will only be visible once a teacher has checked and approved it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ronald Gardner

Re: Approval required? Not working as expected.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

And it is a genuine student account (albeit a test one) that you are using - not simpy switching your role to a student? And which version  of Moodle?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ronald Gardner -

Hi Mary,

I believe it is a true student account, using a fake name but my second email address.  I enrolled this student in the test course where I'm building and new "Roster" database for my courses.

It worked so well in the old Moodle version that I am surprised I'm having trouble with it now.

We are using:

Moodle release
2.5 (Build: 20130514)

Moodle docs talks about a filter setting that has to do with auto-filter being set: Note: If entries are required before viewing, the database auto-linking filter should be disabled. 
I did not have success finding where this setting is made.

Here are the settings I think achieve what I want:

by Mat Cannings -

Hi Ronald, I have found this thread and have exactly the same problem.

I have not got database autolinking enabled and students are able to see other students' unapproved database entries. I had set up a database for a similar purpose and hoped that keeping entries unapproved would make them private.

I have tried various permutations of settings but can not get this to work

In reply to Mat Cannings

by Paula Clough -

Mat are you commenting or editing the students entries but not approving them?  If you as a teacher do anything to the entry other than view, it is considered the same as approving.

Paula cool

by Paula Clough -

Ronald,

If you don't want students to ever see the other student's posts, set the entries required before viewing to a number higher than the maximum number of entries.  I go for a big number...say 25.

Paula cool