Restore Problem

Restore Problem

by Patrick Craig -
Number of replies: 8

I've looked through this forum have seem this error mentioned, but have not found any information that helps me fix this. When I restore any course to Moodle I get this error:

• Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Copying zip file
  • Unzipping backup
  • Checking backup

Error checking backup file. Invalid or corrupted.

An error has ocurred

Continue

I can restore this file and other backup files to my test server successfully. The backup file must be good because I can restore it to a different Moodle installation. Both installations are Moodle 1.4.4+, Apache 1.3, MySQL, PhP 4.3.

I do not know enough about the restore feature to troubleshoot the problem, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patrick Craig

Re: Restore Problem

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Patrick,

once you have seen such error, you can go to your "moodledata/temp/backup" dir. There you should see, at least, one directory (whose names are numbers).

Let's see the most recent and you should have a moodle.xml file inside it.

If so, please edit such file and post here the first 10-20 lines (omitting any sensible info as you desire, of course).

If the file doesn't exist or it seems to be wrong, you can try to switch your "zip" and "unzip" settings under "Administration/Configure" and the, execute the restore again.

Ciao smile

In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Umar Akram -

Hi Eloy,

I get the exact same problem and have been getting it for past 2-3 months. I'm using Moodle 1.4.4+ and 1.4.5, Apache 2.042, Php 4.2.3 dev on Novell netware v6.5 

I've installed 2 clean test versions of Moodle and tried restoring the backup file but the SAME Error. Then loctaed zipped file and Winzip said the file was Corrupted. it can not be repaired...

Following your instructions i've included what you required below;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<MOODLE_BACKUP>
  <INFO>
    <NAME>backup-gce_ab-20050509-1006.zip</NAME>
    <MOODLE_VERSION>2004083150</MOODLE_VERSION>
    <MOODLE_RELEASE>1.4.5</MOODLE_RELEASE>
    <BACKUP_VERSION>2004083124</BACKUP_VERSION>
    <BACKUP_RELEASE>1.4.2</BACKUP_RELEASE>
    <DATE>1115629572</DATE>
    <ORIGINAL_WWWROOT>http://192.168.1.44/halo</ORIGINAL_WWWROOT>;
    <ZIP_METHOD>internal</ZIP_METHOD>
    <DETAILS>
      <MOD>
        <NAME>assignment</NAME>
        <INCLUDED>true</INCLUDED>
        <USERINFO>true</USERINFO>
      </MOD>
      <MOD>
        <NAME>chat</NAME>
      </MOD>

The zip method is set to internal... please explain how Moodle zips its backu files and what Zip program does it use...

Thanks

Umar.

by Patrick Craig -
Thank You Eloy,

In the 'moodledata/temp/backup' directory I found the (one) directory you indicated. In that directory was the .zip backup file I created. In that .zip file was the moodle.xml file. Here are the first 20 or so lines from the .xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<MOODLE_BACKUP>
  <INFO>
    <NAME>backup-pac101-20050509-0804.zip</NAME>
    <MOODLE_VERSION>2004083140</MOODLE_VERSION>
    <MOODLE_RELEASE>1.4.4 +</MOODLE_RELEASE>
    <BACKUP_VERSION>2004083124</BACKUP_VERSION>
    <BACKUP_RELEASE>1.4.2</BACKUP_RELEASE>
    <DATE>1115640297</DATE>
    <ORIGINAL_WWWROOT>http://moodle.remc8.k12.mi.us</ORIGINAL_WWWROOT>
    <ZIP_METHOD>internal</ZIP_METHOD>
    <DETAILS>
      <MOD>
        <NAME>assignment</NAME>
      </MOD>
      <MOD>
        <NAME>chat</NAME>
      </MOD>

I hope this gives you the information you need.

In reply to Patrick Craig

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Patrick,

your file seems to be correct. Only one question from your previous message: the contents pasted above are from:

- one moodle.xml file inside your "temp/backup/XXXXXXXX" dir, or
- the moodle.xml file inside your "temp/backup/XXXXXXXX/course .zip" file?

You should see the moodle.xml file in that dir without extracting anything from the .zip file at the same level!

Could you send me the original course .zip file (privately) to check in my test servers. Because you shouldn't see such error if you are able to see the contents posted above...

Ciao smile

by Patrick Craig -
Eloy,

When I go to the 'moodledata/temp/backup/XXXXXXXX' directory immediately after getting the restore error, the course.zip file is the only file present. The .xml file above was extracted from the course.zip file. I will send you the course.zip file privately.

Thanks for your help.

by Joseph Fall -
Eloy, Patrick,

did you ever find a solution to this problem??

I'm getting exactly the same error trying to restore a course from our old moodle server (running 1.4.2) to our new server (running 1.5).

Interestingly - I logged into the moodle admin. demo site (demo.moodle.com) and sucessfully restored the course there - so I'm guessing it is something in our configuration set-up, but have no idea where to start...

Any advice would help... ALOT!!
thanks.
...Joseph
In reply to Joseph Fall

Hi Joseph,

I've been reviewing my emails with Patrick and, in the last one, I suggested him to change the values for his "zip" and "unzip" variables (Admin/Configure/Variables) to use the executables present in his OS instead of internal routines.

Before Moodle 1.4.5 some problems remained with internal libraries causing "corrupted" zip files under some undetermined circumstances.

Hope it help, ciao smile

by Joseph Fall -

Yep.  It was not exactly that, but the server was not set up to use the right zip program for sure.

Thank you Eloy!

...Joseph