Making Moodle 2.2 read-only globally (for archive purposes)

Making Moodle 2.2 read-only globally (for archive purposes)

by Alastair Hole -
Number of replies: 8

At the end of every academic year we take a snapshot of our Moodle and set it up on a separate archive server, and then make it read-only for everyone.
This was always achieved in 1.x/1.9 by making the datastore read-only, and the database user restricted to SELECT only.

This is the first year that we have attempted this with 2.x (2.2.6) and it isn't working in the same way, we just get stuck with the error "Error writing to database" and no one is able to log in.

At the moment all I can think to do is to edit the Authenticated users role to prohibit almost everything. Though this would still mean that admins were able to make changes which is not ideal but might do the job.

Does anyone else have a similar requirement for a blanket read-only mode for Moodle? Would be interested to hear others' solutions.

Thanks in advance
Alastair

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Alastair Hole

Re: Making Moodle 2.2 read-only globally (for archive purposes)

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

By default, doesn't Moodle 2 use the DB for sessions?  Thus the error?

Try this on the 'read only' site ... add to config.php file:

$CFG->dbsessions=0;

That should create a sessions folder in moodledata ... which still needs to be writable.  So that folder would need: chmod ugo+rw at least.

There could be other minor things like above - but can't think of any right now.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Alastair Hole -

Thanks Ken

We were using file based sessions already for performance reasons, it seems post-1.9 many more checks have been introduced.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Alistair

> This was always achieved in 1.x/1.9 by making the datastore read-only, and the database user restricted to SELECT only.

Nice approach. I can't see a reason why it shouldn't work in Moodle 2.

Talking of snapshots, a trivial solution whould be to restore the snapshot (copy) into a virtual machine and take a snapshot in the virtualization system(?)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Tomasz Muras -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Translators

> This was always achieved in 1.x/1.9 by making the datastore read-only, and the database user restricted to SELECT only.

What about logs being inserted into mdl_log when you login/browse the site?

Tomek

In reply to Tomasz Muras

by Alastair Hole -

My recollection is that in 1.9 writing to the log table failed silently, users were still able to log in and browse courses

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Alastair Hole -

It no longer works in Moodle 2 as there seem to be a lot of extra checks that the data folder is writable and that the database is writeable (or at least fatal errors are produced if it is read-only, preventing logins)

Regarding snapshots we would much rather have the data truly read-only so that it can be relied upon as a true archive instead of reverting to a snapshot every so often.

by Alastair Hole -

Hi All

My solution as it stands is to make a few code tweaks for use on the archive copy of Moodle.

The general approach is to prevent functions from attempting to write to the database, and to suppress errors. This includes:

lib/datalib.php:add_to_log - return immediately
lib/dml/moodle_database.php:query_end - return before exception handling
lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php:insert_record - return true immediately

In 2.5 I also disabled the check for writability of the data folder, oddly this didn't seem to be necessary in 2.2.6 so I've left that as is for now.

Edit: also worth mentioning that we have left the cache and sessions directories writeable as this doesn't impact the integrity of the archive (and obviously is necessary for normal operation)

Alastair

by Rauf Silva -

Hi,

There is a way to make moodle 2.7 read only? 

In moodle 2.5 I tried the solution above and it's worked perfectly, but now in 2.7 version I haven't found a way to make it work.