Sharing Cart on 2.5.1+

Sharing Cart on 2.5.1+

by Kit Malone -
Number of replies: 17

Just upgraded to 2.5 from 2.0.1 ... so far everything is such an improvement. Love it. Currently I'm at 2.5.1+ / build 20130719

Trying to install the sharing cart plug-in, which Moodle Docs indicates is compatible with 2.5. I've hit two snags. The first seemed easy enough -- the second I'm stuck on.

First, the built-in installation system complains that the folder inside the zip (downloaded from https://github.com/VERSION2-Inc/moodle-block_sharing_cart per the Moodle docs) is named incorrectly. Easy enough to resolve, just went in and changed the parent folder name.

After this - it appears to validate swimmingly until it takes me to the notifications page. At this point I get a summary of the new plugin needing my attention. My new plugin is listed all by itself, with a green status that says "To Be Installed."

Sounds great only there isn't much else to do here. No install button, nothing. Just a button at the top that says "check for available updates", a link in the middle to view everything, and a button at the bottom to "reload."

Should I be seeing an "install" button? Am I missing something? What next?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kit Malone

Re: Sharing Cart on 2.5.1+

by Kit Malone -

Just to followup -- eventually after much waiting and reloading an "Upgrade Database" button appeared.

It should be pointed out that the notifications page contains no language to alert the user to the fact that they need to wait a bit for the installation to be ready. 

In reply to Kit Malone

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't recall ever having to wait for the 'upgrade database' button to appear (although I'm more often doing upgrades on a small, local Moodle install, rather than on a busy production system). I'd have to check the code, but I don't think there is any particular reason why the button wouldn't display immediately after the table has been drawn (unless something is stalling it on your server). I'm guessing that would be why there is no warning about a delay (no one is expecting there to be a delay).

In reply to Davo Smith

by Kit Malone -

Davo,

There was definitely no button, and the page was fully loaded as far as the browser was concerned - down to the closing </html> tag.

* shrug * 

I suppose it was likely do to me monkeying around after my first attempt failed. Who knows. Works now!

In reply to Kit Malone

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Kit,

I will relay your report to the Sharing Cart programmer, Tomonori Maruyama. It's best to contact me or him directly when you notice a problem.  Also, if you haven't voted, please vote for the Sharing Cart to be included in Moodle core. Recently, Martin moved this priority up from minor to major. See: [MDL-19721]

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Kit Malone -

Don, 

Thanks for that - I'll be sure to do so in the future. I really presumed that there was something I had done wrong or misunderstood about the install process in Moodle.

I've gone ahead and upvoted that issue and put in my two cents. I've got sharing cart working, and I can't believe how much time it's already saved me this year. I've spent so much of my life copying resources and activities between courses ... suddenly I have all that time back.

by Derek Chirnside -

Don, great!! 

1. Is the sharing cart in the plugins database?  I couldn't find it.
  2. Is there a demo site anywhere with it in?

-Derek

by Gregory Sparrow -

Don, I have just upgraded to 2.85 for security reasons, but now (and perhaps it's not related to the upgrade) I cannot access sharing cart, or any questionnaires or certificates that I uploaded to sharing cart. Also, I cannot create a new feedback for, questionnaire, or certificate. I get this 500 error message:

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@iasdreamcourses.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Is this a problem with sharing cart not working with 2.85? I've always found it to work with the Moodle version upgrades. I'm pretty naive, however.

Thanks,

Scott 

In reply to Gregory Sparrow

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Scott,

I just tested the Sharing Cart's most recent version (downloadable here) on Moodle 2.8.5+ and found that I could both save a pdf and a quiz to the Sharing Cart and move them to another course.  So it seems the current Sharing Cart which was tested on Moodle 2.7 does work on Moodle 2.8.  However, I was using a standard core theme called, "Clean" and there have been reported problems with non-standard themes.  If you could tell me which theme you were using that would help.  Also, please test the Sharing Cart using the Clean theme and tell me the results.  Thanks!  Don't forget to vote for this plugin here: MDL-19721.

Don

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Did you copy across your plugin folders and check permissions and ownership?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Clarification as requested:

From the first post, it sounds more like the upgrade had maybe not gone through properly and so I wondered if maybe something had not gone right in the process.  When you upgrade your Moodle installation, before running the upgrade, you need to copy across all your plugins (additional blocks/mods/filters etc) to the new Moodle folder.  Normally I will copy everything over and then on Linux run chown -R www-data:www-data to apply ownership of the whole moodle folder and all subfolders etc to the apache user and then run chmod -R 755 to apply permissions.  Only then do I go the web interface and let the installer run.

by sonia sonia -

Hi, I have the same issue, but only with some activities, in my case moodle 2.8.1 with Sharing cart last version downloable from moodle .org (2014091200 2.6, release 1 patch 6),...and only when I want to copy quiz activity with a lot of questions, it's when I have the internal server error, it's about the "large" of the ativity?,....because when I try to copy something like label or pdf, or something more "simple" I have not problem.

It's so useful for the teachers!!! and now we have a problem....

thanks

In reply to sonia sonia

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If the issue is for large activities, then probably its not the plugin itself, but the upload or timeout limits within your php settings. You may need to increase these.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by sonia sonia -

Hi, I test more things...and I think that the error it's coming from the question bank categories of the questions in the quiz....what it's the correct way to have the question bank to copy the quiz in the sharing cart?...

The issue about internal error happens when I try to make a backup of the quiz (without sharing cart) too!!!

thanks in advance!

In reply to sonia sonia

by Emma Richardson -

This is often due to have a large shared question bank.  When you copy a quiz, it will copy the entire question and that often causes timeouts and issues.  I had to have my teachers not use sharing carts for quizzes while I moved all my questions back down to the activity and course level to avoid this very problem.

Having a shared question bank is wonderful but it unfortunately has negative consequences too.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by sonia sonia -

Hi, what do you mean abou "back down to the activity and course level"? it's about move the questions from question bank into specific category?....

If there are some way for do it (copy all quizz between courses) ????? 

thanks in advance!

In reply to sonia sonia

by Emma Richardson -

It is not an easy process. 

I actually rebuilt my site from scratch and then exported my questions in moodle xml format and imported them into the correct course in the new site.  It was pretty slow going but my backup and restore is working a lot better now.

It was actually sharing cart that prompted me to redesign the bank and it helped a lot.  I still have some courses with a lot of questions where it can be pretty slow but extending out the timeout settings can help a lot with that and warnings to the teachers that quizzes sometimes take a long time.