Setting anchors inside SCORM files

Setting anchors inside SCORM files

by Saravanakumar M -
Number of replies: 4

Hi Guys,

I am working on a Moodle project which offers SCORM content for students. We are adding a SCORM file for each chapter in a course. The chapters have several topics within it.

The SCORM file can be viewed by clicking either the chapter name or any one of the topic names. In either case, always the first slide of the SCORM file opens. Suppose if I click topic 4 (which may start at 10th slide in the SCORM file), I want it to open the 10th slide directly. Is this possible?

Is there a way to set anchors inside the SCORM file and link appropriate slides to my Table of Contents (chapters as well as the topics)? Should I do something with the authoring tools that I use for creating SCORM files?

Any help would highly be appreciated. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Saravanakumar M

Re: Setting anchors inside SCORM files

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Saravanakumar,
you can't with SCORM 1.2: a SCORM 1.2 Package containing more than a SCO must be navigated through the TOC since there are internal logics like SCORM 1.2 Prerequisites that are taking into account before giving the User the next route.

SCORM 2004 is supposed to enrich such logics by giving you the possibility to interact with the navigation (read: sequencing) but Moodle officially supports SCORM 1.2 even though some of the SCORM 2004 features have been already implemented - unfortunately for you, full sequencing compliance is pending and it will be no more completed.

It's up to you whether to decide for not giving that possibility to your users or to check for the level of the SCORM 2004 support in Moodle to explore the implemented features or to find some hacks strictly related with the code of a particular Moodle version i.e. sticking with that w/o upgrading it - e.g. Moodle 2.6 is supposed to heavily change the SCORM TOC code.

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Saravanakumar M -

Hi Matteo,

Thanks for your reply. So sequencing and navigation is not available in SCORM 1.2 but this is what Moodle officially supports. I think I am stuck.

When you talk about upgrade... let me explain my current scenario:

We started with Moodle 2.4. Completed lots of customization. Added new  tables, new fields in the existing tables in Moodle's default MySQL database. In other words, we have developed several php forms and merged these with Moodle's features like upload and manage content, view content, grade reports, etc. The database is Moodle's database.

My client wants to upgrade to Moodle 2.5 now. Is this possible? How should I go about this? 

Thanks

SK

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Saravanakumar,
if you're in need to create hyperlink-ed contents, in a inter-SCO way of thinking, I think you should use e.g. Book instead of SCORM: SCOs, the items composing a SCORM Package (PIF), are supposed to be self-contained for both instructional and technical POVs - the 'R' in SCORM means Reusable! - so on providing inter-SCO hyperlinks you're coupling SCOs when they are supposed to be loosely coupled.
That's the reason why you find nothing in SCORM 1.2 and just a simple prev/next in SCORM 1.3 (2004 n-th edition).

Regarding with your upgrade issues I'm not able to give you any advice but that 2.4 => 2.5 is quite documented in files called upgrade.txt, each of them contained in the folder of a block, module, theme, etc etc: you should identify the tables you're directly accessing to, identify the Moodle components those tables are belonging to and track back the changes required by each component: many of them, on average, should impact less on database structures.

Matteo

by Anu J -

Sir, 

How did you manage to get SCORM file opened by clicking on Chapter name or topic name ?

I need to create an user login interface where he is able to see his enrol courses and the progress made by him so far next to course name. 

on clicking the course name, he should be able to view different chapters in the same way (with progress bar for each chapter). each f these chapters has to be linked to the same SCORM package at different slides)

Would really appreciate your help.

Kind of like the one attached as screenshot.

Attachment rrr.JPG