SCORM

Picture of Jacki Sherwood
SCORM page content not resizing on ipad

I am publishing SCORM 1.2 compliant learning modules created using Lectora v11 authoring software. We want to ensure our courses are compatible for viewing on an ipad.

I am finding that when the modules are viewed on an ipad through Moodle (opening in a new window (tab in the case of the ipad), the right and bottom of the screen are cut off and it doesn't allow the user to scroll to see those aspects that have been cut off. I have the Display course structure in player setting, set to hidden, but that obviously still takes up some of the width of the screen.

My current page dimensions are 980x640 (Lectora recommend a standard computer/tablet screen size of 1009x662). I understand that Lectora automatically adds meta tags to the html files when published to allow the content to re-size/fit tablet screens. This seems to work when published to html, but it doesn't seem to work when published as a SCORM module and viewed in Moodle. I've looked at the modules through another site (ReviewLink, which is Lectora's website where you can review and comment on content), and they seem to resize perfectly. I've tried adding various meta tags found in Lectora forums, but none of them will help my content to resize to match the ipad size when viewed through Moodle.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and found a solution? At the moment, my only solution appears to be physically resizing all of my modules to 940x630 (and associated assets) so the content fits on the screen, which is not really a good solution at all.

Thanks

Jacki

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dan Marsden
Re: SCORM page content not resizing on ipad
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

yeah - that's a known issue and we have a GSOC project working on improving support for Mobile devices in the SCORM player - progress is going well so far but this work will only be landing in Moodle 2.6 so that probably doesn't help you much right now.

Picture of Jacki Sherwood

Thanks Dan, appreciate your quick reply. I look forward to the outcomes of the project team.

Picture of Ferry van der Vorst

When building HTML SCOs, is there a workaround available to resolve this to at least display the screen correctly, e.g. increase the padding or margins on the right and bottom? 

Do you have some info as to what causes the issue?

Hi.

To clarify: We are using Moodle 2.4 and building HTML SCORM packages that are to be used on both desktop and landscape iPads. As mentioned at the top of the thread, SCORM content is cropped when launched on an iPad. 

The SCO size (dimensions) are typically 1004x640px and not responsively designed. When opening the content on an iPad outside the SCORM player in Moodle, the content resizes to fit the screen. When in the SCORM player it is cropped. This issue is also in the Moodle bug tracker and being worked on (as indicated above).

While it is likely to be fixed in version 2.6, I am currently looking for a workaround, enabling us to deliver the SCORM content in line with branding guidelines (which is currently not possible as the logo, etc are cropped on the RH side). So my question was:-Are there workarounds available to make the SCORM package appear through:

a) specific settings that needs to be set in the SCORM package within Moodle (scrollbars, resizing, height/width)

b) Will it work if we make the HTML pages large enough (with sufficient margins/padding on the right and bottom) so once the screen is cropped, the screen appears to be displayed full size? If so, by how much is the page currently cropped exactly?

c) Which file(s) in the SCORM code currently causes the issue, so we can look at fixing the issue?

Hope this helps.

Many thanks.

Picture of Dan Marsden
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

I'm not aware of anyone who has developed a solution to this yet - please share your results here if you manage to sort it yourself.

The resize code is buried in the yui code in mod/scorm/module.js - not for the faint hearted... smile

Hi

Our development partner fixed it as follows:

---

The following was added to the popup.php file in the theme

<?php if ($modname == 'scorm') { ?>
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=1004">
    <?php } ?>
---

Note our SCOs are all fixed width to 1004.

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Dan, 

I'm having the same problem here - Any news on this new bit of dev? : )