Quiz report plugins

Quiz report plugins

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 17
The quiz module has a plug-in architecture for results reporting. I would like quiz users to
  1. make suggestions of what reports they need
  2. contribute plug-ins that provide useful reporting functionality
We even already have a first volunteer: Enrique approve.

The old quiz module had three such pages: "Overview", "Simple statistics", and "Detailed statistics". In the new quiz module (now in Moodle 1.5) the first two of these have been combined into a new paged, sortable table called "Attempts". The old "Detailed statistics" page has been disabled because it proved difficult to upgrade. It actually contained three tables, there is some discussion of these in another thread. Perhaps a way to start would be to create one plug-in for each of the tables that was available on the old "Detailed statistics" page.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Quiz report plugins and question types

by Gustav W Delius -
The main problem with the old detailed statistics page was that it did not support all question types. The way I would like to see the new plug-ins work is that they call functions in the question types to perform the question type specific work. That way when new question types are added later they can provide support for existing report plug-ins simply by providing the required functions. Also the report plug-in author does not have to deal with all existing question types all at once, other people can contribute the necessary question type specific functions later.

Tables in quiz report plugins

by Gustav W Delius -
And another thing about writing report plugins: you will often want to display the report in the form of a table. For this you should use the new Moodle table class because it automatically provides paging and sorting. Take a look at mod/quiz/attempts.php to see an example use of that table class. 

Re: Quiz report plugins

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello Gustav,
let me say that I am totally in favor of your proposal.
One of the things i don't like about old detailed statistics report is that it mix 2 very different things
-detailed answers of the students (first table)
and real statistics (other tables)
I would really appreciate the separation.
Also before using Moodle I was using a test module made by some people of our University for the Claroline LMS. I really don't regret the move but for each test you could have a really neat graph. It would be better if I can post an image, but I will try to explain :
it was a bar graph with a bar for each question of the test and a percent vertical scale. Each bar was divided in 3 rectangular areas one red for false answers, one yellow for partial answers and one green for correct answers.
What i liked is that usually a simple look was enought to see the questions with too many green or too many red and after that look for the cause of these "accidents". It was very usefull.
Of course the first goal now is to upgrade the detailed statistics report, but maybe in the future if we create several report plugins for statistics, we can add that kind of feature and I am sure other Moodlers will have wonderfull ideas.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm all in favour of specific plugins too.

On a related point I was talking at a conference just now and someone asked "will Moodle 1.5 finally do item analysis?". I wasn't sure what to answer, I'm not too familiar with that kind of stats. I notice the language wonks wink  in Singapore were right into it so perhaps they could educate me on this?

I thought it was what the "detailed stats" was doing, didn't it?  If so then perhaps "item analysis" should be a new report tab name.   If not, there seems to be a demand we could work on later on. wink
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
As english isn't my native language, I am not sure what "item analysis" could be but maybe it's something related to one of my thinking :
  • In moodle you have a bank of questions
  • each question can be used in several tests
  • currently there is no way to know how students performed for this question in ALL tests using it
So in addition to tests statistics it would be interesting to introduce questions statistics.
Here one of my collegues teacher is doing a lot of online tests and calculate a Discrimination Index for each question in each test but I still need to learn what it is and what it can be used for yeux grands ouverts
I'm sure a lot of relevant litterature must exist on these subjects. If any Moodler has some links, I would really appreciate.
update : the page http://fcit.usf.edu/assessment/selected/responsec.html answer some of these questions.
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Ger Tielemans -

For every question you can write feedback. This feedback can refer to the resource where it came from, with a "please sudy this again" added, when the answer was wrong.

Would be nicer to have a tunable feedback-report where:

1. you can group the results of questions
  2. you could formulate rules for triggering diffent feedback: if 3 out of 5 were not correct answered, then echo "please study this resource again".
  3. (For the other students it must be possible to ask where that question came from.. for the next time) 
  4. Other questionnaires with also advices, based on grouped answers, could also easily fit in this format!

by Jussi Hannunen -
"Item analysis" is a new term for me too - Google to the rescue. This seems to be a rather compact explanation: http://www.scrolla.hw.ac.uk/focus/ia.html .

DS did calculate for each question the key statistics difficulty (Facility)  and  correlation to performance (Discrimination). Doing the analysis based on those is left to the user (as it probably should be).

The problem I had with DS was that only single quiz-instant was considered. Many teachers would prefer to build a bank of question that they can use on many quizzes, but there was no (easy) way to combine the stats from all quizzes a question was used in.

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
...someone asked "will Moodle 1.5 finally do item analysis?". I wasn't sure what to answer, I'm not too familiar with that kind of stats. I notice the language wonks wink in Singapore were right into it so perhaps they could educate me on this? I thought it was what the "detailed stats" was doing, didn't it?

Sorry, Martin. I guess my presentation in Singapore wasn't so clear. sad

Yes, Moodle has always had item analysis since version 1.3 or earlier, I believe. It is the Detailed Statistics section that Tom Robb wrote. Item Analysis starts with two main parts, IF and ID. Item Facility (IF) looks at whether question items are too easy or too hard--percentage of students answering correctly. Item Discrimination (ID), or Discrimination Index, then looks at whether the answers are purely random, or show a pattern (do the higher scoring students tend to get that question right--good--or is there some random pattern--the question is tricky or confusing).

A second stage of item analysis is then trying to improve the questions you identify as poor for the purposes of the test. A placement test has a different purpose than an achievement test, for example. When find say 30% of your questions are not useful, then you look at the patterns inside the question. That is why we need percentages of each of the answer options. Each answer is called a "rejoinder". So at the patterns in the rejoinders can tell you which ones of a particular multiple choice test question could be the problem.

I use the Detailed Statistics all the time, and have been happy with its layout, and amount of information. Export to Excel is critical, too. I hope the new version does not remove any of the previous functionality. Gustaf, Tom, and I discussed this a month ago at this topic. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=19892

by Bill Click -

As it turns out I like what you currently have, but that is probably because I have not seen another choice.  The one thing that I would like to have available is the true ability of extracting into Excel.  Whenever I attempt I do not get what I expect.  Maybe it's my problem.  Anyone else have any difficulty doing extracts into Excel?

Someone has mentioned maybe adding a new item analysis portion.  Seems to me that already exists in the Detail Statistics report, but maybe they are talking about something more refined/inclusive.  The only thing that I would like to see is some type of indicator, in the detail analysis report, showing the correct answer.  Here at a middle school you can't assume that the most answers are on the correct item.

bc

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
<>Hi,
>My first attempt on new quiz statistics have been to construct a table to summarize the responses to each question. This table is a combination of the tables 2&3 of the previous detailed statistics report. You may see the table below. I have called this report/table Item Analysis since this table may allow to judge on the performance of each item/question for testing purposes.

The table has all questions used in the quiz as rows. The first columns are for identifying the question: idnumber, name, question text. Then there is a column with the actual responses given by the students (including numerical and shortanswer) with the counts for each of the actual responses. In this way, it is possible to inspect what responses are more/less given by the students for a particular item. In addition, to other columns with the Facility Index (= % correct answers for that item) and the Discrimination Index (= (top_scores bottom_scores)/N, for top/bottom thirds of students in the overall marking distribution).

I have used fractional grade as the way to compute the statistics, rather than number of correct / false responses to that item. Much like in the Bluepaper 2 from CAA centre (thanks for the links, Jussi!!). This way the method is more extensible and can support analysis of multi-anwer MCQ questions of matching questions that are prone to partial credit.

The system can manage quizzes with random questions. The new class-based question types allow to go back easily to determine the actual question that was included in the test, and include it in the analysis. I think a very much needed feature. So there are provisions for not all questions having the same number of attempts (or not at all attempts having exactly the same questions).

But there are many bugs yet. Data is not collected correctly for some question types (matching, multianswer), improvements are needed for speedup statistical processing, some options are desires, not working yet, and the table display needs a more professional design.

I do have in my mind a mechanism to restrict the analysis to a subset of available attempts. Perhaps just the highest attempt per student, or excluding attempts with a too low overall marking (perhaps given up or playing attempts).

I am not ready to release the code (too many bugs). But I would like to know if I am in the right direction. Do you see this table as useful? Any other information should be included? (or splitted to other table?). Suggestions for presentation improvements, analysis options etc. All comments are welcome.

- Enrique -

Attachment stats01.gif
In reply to Enrique Castro

by Gustav W Delius -
Very nice!

The good thing about your approach is that you are using question-type specific functions to provide the data for the table so that it can easily be extended to handle new question types.

A small comment: instead of the question type number you could use the question type icons that are already used on the editing page. You could also have a column with preview and edit icons so that the teacher can preview and edit a question right from this page.

Perhaps you also want to indicate for each of the answers what grade it achieved.

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Gustav,
Yes, the icon issue was my goal, it is in my to-do list.
The other suggestions are also good improvements, I will add them to the list.

- Enrique -

by Thomas Robb -
This is a great start Enrique!  This format overcomes some of the drawbacks of the original "Detailed Statistics" version.

I personally think that only one response per student need to be analyzed, based on what the teacher has designated -- first, last, or highest.  Attempting to include all attempts would simply blur the analysis since additional attempts will almost always show more correct responses and would add little new information.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Gustav W Delius -
I think Enrique's approach to let the teacher choose which attempts to include is best. I think using only the last or best attempt does not always hold all the information you are looking for. You might for example be particularly interested in getting information on the kinds of wrong answers students gave on their first attempts.

by Bill Click -

Looks interesting Enrique, but could you please give us something to indicate which answer is correct.  Analysis of a question doesn't always happen with the one who builds the teacher who taught the course here.  Sometimes it's me, and I just don't know everything.

Bill

Report by categories

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Here's another report I've had more than one request for and it seems very useful. The client is willing to pay for the development for this so if you a programmer or know a programmer who wants to implement a report for this, please let me know: martin@moodle.com

The Quiz module in moodle currently supports categories for questions. What
we'd like to do is to be able to do some reporting based upon the results of a
quiz against those categories.

Let say for example a quiz that a user takes 5 questions in each of these
catagories:
Addition
Subtraction
Multiplication
Division

Phase 1:
A student may get 65% on the quiz overall, but we'd like to see a report that
further breaks it down by catagory with what the student got correct.
Addition: 100%
Subtraction: 80%
Multiplication: 30%
Division: 50%

Phase 2:
It would also be useful to compare how this student performed compared to the
entire class's average in the categories.

Re: Report by categories

by Gustav W Delius -
Good idea. This would actually be a natural extension of the current "Attempts" overview page. This page already has a checkbox to show mark details for all questions. It could have a similar checkbox to show mark details for all categories. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement.