Things are hiding from me ...

Things are hiding from me ...

by Aaron Bolinger -
Number of replies: 12

On the home page, "main menu" and "navigation" appear on the left when NOT logged in.  As soon as I log in, they disappear.  I'm the Admin, and wonder where they went into hiding.  I need to modify some of those pages, and can't locate them after logging in as administrator.  Ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aaron Bolinger

Re: Things are hiding from me ...

by Aaron Bolinger -

As for moodle version, How do I find out?  Our tech-host did an upgrade from 1.9 to something in the >2 range, but I'm not sure what comes after the "point."  When it does an auto backup, it tells me there is a new version available, but doing such things is above my geek-factor.

A

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You are sure it isn;t simply the case that you have docked them to the side?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Aaron Bolinger -

"docked to the side" ...

Forgive me for what I am about to say, but the only context to which I understand docking relates to boats and harbors.  In such cases, you will often find signs that indicate where, and how, to dock according to their standards.  I have seen no such indicators within Moodle.  If I have inadvertently docked inappropriately, I apologize profusely, promise never to do it again, and ask only that someone help me figure out how to undo the error of my ways. smile

This is a picture of the home page BEFORE I log in...

And this is a picture of the page AFTER logging in ...

Not visible on the upper screen shot is the other "left side" item that also disappears ["Main Menu" and "Navigation" are gone after log-in].

When I log in, and go to

Site Administration/Front Page/Front Page Settings, I see the pair of boxes labeled "Front Page" and "Front Page Items When Logged In."  The settings, as you can see by this screen shot, are IDENTICAL.

What cooketh?

Aaron

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Aaron - I can't see your pictures, sorry! Docking is something new in Moodle 2 whereby you can shove a block to one side so it makes a narrow tab to be kept out of the way of your main screen while you are working. Some people accidentally do it or else do it and forget they've done it . It is possible your issue is different from that though, if you can somehow send a link to your images.

Ok -edit - if the site in question is the one in your profile then this is what  see - the blocks are there after log in so it is possible you might have docked them. I will  only know when I see your screenshots

Block NOT docked https://plus.google.com/115251203259493451261/posts?banner=pwa

Block DOCKED -https://picasaweb.google.com/115251203259493451261/2013072102?authuser=0&feat=directlink

(There is currently a problem with uploading images to Moodle.org)

by Aaron Bolinger -

I used the little picture thingie in this box, and the pics appeared to me before I clicked "post."  As usual, things are not always as they appear.  Ipso facto, we do it nice because we do it twice, here are the pictures again, in proper order, done as attachments, hoping they make the 0100100100100 journey to you for your viewing edification.

Well, that didn't work either.  After attaching the first, when trying to attach the second, this Moodle gave the infamous "Invalid JSON string" error message.  So.... I will go to the Department of Duplicate Redundancies and add two more posts to this growing thread.

Sheesh.

Attachment not logged in.jpg

by Aaron Bolinger -

2nd (after log in) image of the front page ...

And ... again the JSON string message.

Well, take my word for it...the settings are the same in that place on the Administration widget.

Guess I picked the wrong day to try to cut down on coffee...

by Mary Cooch -

Don't worry about the JSON error message  -there is a bug currently on moodle.org and we can't upload images. If you can upload to imageshack or something and paste the link that would do. I uploaded my two to my google picasa account though you'll have to excuse me as I am not used to online photo albums so you might end up seeing my whole photo albums as well as the two latest of your site blocks -hopefully you will get to them in the end!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Aaron Bolinger -

Mary, if you can assist with this, e-mail me directly.  I have no patience for faulty softwares, be it in picture upload, or whatever.  I know with my e-mail I can send you the pics.  Setting up other accounts on the so-called "cloud" is just idiotic when I can e-mail stuff directly.  I don't normally travel from Maine to Florida via Washington State, and I don't plan on doing so today.

a.bolinger@shermaninstitute.com

I have courses to build, and academics to deal with.  The software stuff needs to smarten up.

Aaron

by Mary Cooch -

Aaron - you just need to send me via private message (click on my name and then send message) your log in to your Moodle and I will log in as to see what view I see. I made an account already on your site and when I logged in I saw the blocks as normal so I think it might be an issue with your login. Alternatively my email is also in my profile if you would prefer to send the screenshots.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Aaron Bolinger -

I sent you an e-mail ... (Mary)

by Mary Cooch -

OK well according to what I could make out from your screenshots, Main Menu is working correctly as it only appears on the front page anyway, but I couldn't see clearly enough to see what had happened to the Navigation block (which was still visible to me when I made a log in) So the only option I can suggest is to send me your login and I will take a look there. Sometimes the navigation block moves from left to right when you have logged in - are you sure it isn't still there, but on the right hand side instead of the left?