Repository question...

Repository question...

by Trevor Wilson -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out a way to have a cohort of teachers all have access to one repo of common course content (used across about 30 courses), and also have the ability to easily download and burn all this content on a DVD for the grads at the end of the program.

I'm thinking... WebDav repo?  Am I able to only enable access to a repository to a specific cohort?

Has anyone done this?

Regards,

Trevor

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Trevor Wilson

Re: Repository question...

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Trevor

You wrote:
> a way to have a cohort of teachers all have access to one repo of common course content (used across about 30 courses),

Do you mean just files or does the repo have other content like forums, lessons, etc.?

If just files, have a look at the http://docs.moodle.org/en/File_system_repository.

> and also have the ability to easily download and burn all this content on a DVD for the grads at the end of the program.

The usual method is to tell Moodle to zip the whole directory tree to a single file before downloading. I've just checked the file system repository in a Moodle 2.4 and couldn't find the zip function. A workaround would be to distribute a generic (S)FTP account amoung the undergrads so that they can download the files themselves. Since the files names in the file system repository are not hashed, there shouldn't be a problem.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Trevor Wilson -

Hi, Visvanath

Thanks for the response!  Yes, it's just files that I'm wanting to keep.

My only concern with the File System Repo, is that it appears to be either available to the entire site, course, or just an individual.

I'm hoping to have a file area common to an ever-changing cohort of instructors (most of them are military so there's a significant turnaround), that they can use to build their 30 or so courses for a specific program.

Good to know the filenames aren't hashed in these... if that's the case, I can just grab them off the server when it's time.  If this works out.

Thanks again!

T.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Trevor

You wrote:
> My only concern with the File System Repo, is that it appears to be either available to the entire site, course, or just an individual.

So far I've used the File System Repository site-wide. Yes, http://docs.moodle.org/en/File_system_repository says "may be available site wide for everyone or within an individual course (set up by admin) or for an individual administrator".

> I'm hoping to have a file area common to an ever-changing cohort of instructors (most of them are military so there's a significant turnaround), that they can use to build their 30 or so courses for a specific program.

Perhaps you can combine with the http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Roles_and_permissions to get the effect you want.

by Trevor Wilson -

A file system repository in a course would work, if I could tell more than one course to use the same repository.  Not sure this is possible though.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You can use the same file system repository for different courses, but the name has to be different - the repo name ... just slightly, however.

The item that would be of concern ... backups.  Strongly suggest setting up a test course(s) with file system repos's that contain files that were linked in a course.  Run the backup.  Then restore to another instance of Moodle - ie, not on same server.

'spirit of sharing', Ken