wwwroot and AWS Elastic Load Ballancer

wwwroot and AWS Elastic Load Ballancer

by Brian O'Neill -
Number of replies: 1

Hi Guys,

We have set up moodle on AWS.   We would like to configure our architecture to include an Elastic Load Ballancer (ELB) so that we can scale moodle as needed by adding additional servers running moodle.  The ELB will load ballance requests between the servers it can attach to.

The ELB has a DNS, for example mymoodle-aws-dns.com.  This is the dns I want all users to connect to moodle using.

Each server running moodle has a different DNS, eg moodleserver1-aws-dns.com, moodleserver1-aws-dns.com.

How do I configure each moodle server so that a user can connect to it via the load ballancer dns.  The documenation says wwwroot should be the dns for the server running moodle but in our instance we want users to connect to moodle through a load ballancer.  I assume this HA architecture is possible with moodle?

Any help greatly appreciated.  I have already looked at the forums and found no answers to how to configure moodle in aws using an elastic load ballancer.

Regards

Brian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian O'Neill

Re: wwwroot and AWS Elastic Load Ballancer

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't know anything about ELB but in a typical load-balanced situation every Moodle will (and must) have the *same* wwwroot setting (mymoodle-aws-dns.com in your case). The mapping between that hostname and the actual physical server is done by the load balancer. In other words, it's nothing to do with Moodle. Moodle doesn't know its running in a load balancer. This should be in the ELB documentation somewhere.