Blocks

Course files: a new block to show a list of files and their license

Picture of Shuai Zhang
Course files: a new block to show a list of files and their license

A new block for showing list of files and their license has been uploaded in:
https://github.com/shuai-zhang/block_course_files

The block is on the earliest development phase and not all features are included yet.

How it works:
The block will create a link which links to a page displaying all the files of the course.

The fields displayed on this report include:
File Name
File type
File size
Author
License
Date Uploaded

Main features:
1. This block can only be added / configure in course page.
2. This block can only be added / configure by the teacher on the course.

Although initially just teachers can see it, the purpose of this block is to have a report that can be changed to display all creative commons licensed files in a course. This way in one place the credits for files used can be shown. So this restriction could be removed or changed to a configurable option.

Screenshots:
sample

As part of my masters work experience I have created this new block. So I would welcome any feedback and thoughts to improve it.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Gavin Henrick
Re: Course files: a new block to show a list of files and their license
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

I wonder just how many people properly provide attribution to the Creative Commons files they use in Moodle.

I wonder how many people put the correct Author / License for the files too.

Picture of Bas Brands
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
A great tool and very useful too! Would it be posible to add tumbnails for the images that are found and the module or block that cointains the files?

Rosario playing soccer

I am just figuring this out, as I need it to include sort of a file path in my zip-file. I saw that in the course_sections table the sections get no real name unless the teachers choose to set one on their own. If you leave DEFAULT, then the Name field will hold a NULL entry. But I will implement the following algorithm:

if the Name field is NULL

then concatenate 'section' with section number field

else

take NameField

so as to compose paths of the sort /section0/filexy.pdf, /section1/filexy.pdf or /Topic1/filexy.pdf

Yours, Rosario

Rosario playing soccer

Oh, heavens, I just stubled over this post because I was in search of code and know-how to collect all files of a given course to zip and download them. A block that could be useful to teachers and students of given course.

See discussion here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=218220

I will have a look at this code now and try to implement the zipping of the files into one archive to download.

Yours, Rosario

Rosario playing soccer

Done and uploaded into the Modules&Plugins Database. See above thread or in the M&P Database itself.

Rosario