I am hip-deep in a major Moodle problem, and I can't seem to sort it out. We have been having trouble for weeks getting our SCORM packages to be able to score, resume, and complete properly, but after some focused research and testing, I felt like I finally understood all the settings in Moodle and Captivate and these issues seemed to be working....
...Until we hit some of our longer quizzes, in which case the quiz would only remember some of the user's answers and would return them to a partially completed quiz. So, loooong story short, it looks like our Adobe Captivate quizzes pass too much data into SCORM's (version 1.2) cmi.suspend_data, which eventually results in a 405 error. Apparently, one of the limitations of SCORM 1.2 is that it can only hold about 4,000 characters, and we need more than that. We want our students to be able to review their quizzes, but this doesn't seem to be possible with this limitation.
So, is anyone else having trouble with this limitation? I have done some searching and have found mention of it, but never found any helpful solutions. Here are the options that I've tried:
- SCORM 2004: I have tried working with this several times, but the results are flaky at best, and with the recent announcement that it is no longer even being worked on, I feel it's not worth pursuing. I find it frustrating that 1.2 is so outdated, 2004 is not supported, and Tin Can is still in process. It doesn't leave many options. (Please note I don't blame the developers who decided they didn't have the time to continue working on support for 2004. I'm just frustrated with my lack of options.)
- AICC: The Captivate SCORM packages won't even load in Moodle 2.5, so the error log can't even help me. I haven't been able to find much information about this format, so I don't know if it will even help if I can get it to work.
- Scorm Cloud: With the promise of SCORM 2004 support with Moodle, I installed the plugin, which is 2 years old and doesn't officially support Moodle 2.3 or higher. Several errors occur, though it didn't break significantly yet. It does seem to change the way the whole course works and looks, and I was really hoping to not have to learn yet another way to work with the courses, just to be able to record progress. I haven't eliminated it as an option, but I don't want to have to rework everything I have so far unless I really need to.
- Turning off "Resume Data" in Captivate. This works for the scoring and completing, but this kills a major function of the lessons—the ability to go back and see what you got wrong.
So, long intro, quick questions:
- Has anyone else found a way around the suspend_data limitation with SCORM 1.2?
- Is there another option (Moodle add-on, extra settings) that I'm missing? I can't imagine that I'm the only one with this problem, but I haven't really seen any solutions.
- Am I missing something that will make one of the options above viable?
Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide as much info as might be helpful. Thanks for your time and attention. Any help is welcome.