Themes

Julian Ridden
Essential theme - 2.5.2 released
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

WOW! Talk about about a flurry of requests. Since "Essential" was released my inbox and this forum have lit up like a Christmas tree. Members of the community have been helping bug squash and many of you are asking for new features and design changes.

As a theme designer I cannot keep you all happy. Nor can I add every feature for every users whim. But features that are being asked for by many in the community I will try to introduce. This release has just a few.

New features:

New Options

First is a great new feature contributed by Paul Vaughan. It enables the ability to display the users Profile image in the header next to the social networking icons. A heat idea and now implemented.

Second is one that I swore I would not do. But as the pressure from the community was high I have caved in. I personally am not a fan of blocks on each side of the page with content in the middle. As Westerners we read from top right to bottom left. This means the first block becomes the oat important feature. I prefer the content to be the first thing the users eye is drawn to. But if you are a sucker for the old "traditional" layout you can now set this in the theme settings. I thought it at best a good compromise. smile 

And third was an idea started by David Scotson. A question was put in the forums about changing the separator in the navbar. This is something many like to do. David, in his answer, suggested the use of the icons from Font Awesome. I thought this was an awesome solution and using it have now made this a theme setting.

Latest version is now in GitHub and the plugins database. Download and enjoy!

Note: Please remember that I am looking for translators to help make Essential multilingual. Let me know if you can help. Also, developers. Found a bug! Let me know your solutions and I will merge them in asap.

Julian (moodleman) Ridden

Latest Screenshot

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Jean-Marc Doucet
Re: Essential theme - 2.5.2 released
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Testers

download in progress wink 

(if i can help to translate in french shy, but it dit it yet non ?)

Average of ratings: -

It's stange i don't see 2.5.2 released on plugin database page

Julian Ridden
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

Look again now. Should be there.

Should also be getting an alert in your Moodle site if you have update notifications turned on.

Julian

Julian Ridden

Look again now. Should be there.

Should also be getting an alert in your Moodle site if you have update notifications turned on.

Julian

2 reponses @Julian  but only  one +1  wink

Picture of David Scotson
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers
Would you (or your users) be interested in a renderer that swaps the Moodle SVG/PNG icons in the Navigation and Administration blocks for the equivalent Font Awesome icon?

This would allow your color selection setting to apply to those icons too, allow for the use of CSS effects (e.g. color change on hover/when active), reduce the number of downloads required so make the site run faster on mobile etc.

The main code is this function:

https://github.com/ds125v/moodle/blob/awesome/theme/bootstrap/renderers/core.php#L165-L213

Apart from mapping the icon filename to an equivalent font-awesome CSS classname the other thing it does is check if the icon has an alt or an title text. If so it just passes them onto the standard icon creation function, so it only affects the decorative icons used in those blocks.

Note there's a couple of little renderers at the end that change the icon used for back/forth on the calendar block to use font-awesome in a similar way too.

Picture of David Scotson
I see this has been included in the latest master branch. I think it looks good (though I personally lean towards simply not having the icons there at all).

To make sure you've covered all the icons you can override the CSS that collapses the menus. This means as you browse around the site you'll immediately see any icons that aren't being converted correctly (either showing the standard icon, or simply a font-awesome icon that you'd prefer to change).

.jsenabled .block_navigation .block_tree .collapsed ul {display: block;}
.jsenabled .block_settings .block_tree .collapsed ul {display: block;}

I've not found any that have been missed yet, but they turn up in all sorts of odd corners.

Note that the expanding triangles are still the core images since they're applied in a different way. But since they're applied via CSS background images, it's relatively easy to get rid of them and use the same :before trick used to add navbar/breadcrumb seperators to add one of the Font Awesome icons via pure CSS. The tricky bit is getting them to line up so that it looks nice when you click and the two icons swap.

Picture of David Scotson
A quick sketch of changing the expand/collapse triangles:

.tree_item {background-image: none !important;}

.tree_item.branch:before { content: "\f078 ";}

.collapsed .tree_item.branch:before { content: "\f054 ";}

.dir-rtl .collapsed .tree_item.branch:before { content: " \f053";}

And I've just noticed that newer versions of Font Awesome have an "icon-fixed-width" class you can add when using icons like we do in Moodle so they line up neatly:

http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/examples/#navigation

Julian Ridden

Many thanks for that David. Wondering if we can replace the edit icons (hide, delete, edit, move left, etc) with a render override?

Not that we need to, but interested to see how we can push this a bit further.

Julian

Picture of David Scotson
You can (mostly). The problems are:

1. Only some of the edit icons are created via renderers, so it can look patchy
2. Some javascripts (e.g. the hide/show activities toggle) are looking for an img tag and fail if they don't find it
3. I'm not sure on how the accessibility stuff interacts with this, since the icons in that case are inside hyperlinks which will use the alt text for those that don't see the images.

Maybe for the last one you could put the alt text inside the i tag inside an .accesshide span?

Picture of David Scotson
An example of hacking it with CSS for places that aren't in renderers:

.icon.editing_delete:before {
content: "\f00d";}
.commands .icon img {position:absolute;left:-10000px;}

This moves the images used for the block edit command icons offscreen, but I believe it means the alt text is still available.

The other thing it does is add an X icon font glyph to the link that surrounds the (now invisible) X icon image.

This is actually a bad example because there's two different renderers that you could use to control the HTML for this particular instance. But it gives you an idea of what you'd need to do to reach all the icons in Moodle.

Picture of David Scotson
I'm just about to go on holiday until Tuesday, but I'll submit a patch to github when I'm back to use Font Awesome icons everywhere in Moodle that it's possible to do so, with workarounds for the various problems that I've previously discovered.

I would really like it if core Moodle adopted Font Awesome but there seems to be a lack of understanding of the benefits. Hopefully a demonstration might be more convincing than words. I think there's still time before 2.6 to adopt it in for core, but only if we get started soon.

Just wondering . . .
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Is this worth a tracker item David?

-Derek

Picture of David Scotson
There's a few related issues already, the most directly relevant one is: MDL-37231 "Make the new SVG icons into an icon font", which in turns links to some, but not all, of the others.

Most of the discussion about Font Awesome seems to have happened in various tangential bugs like MDL-39138, so perhaps the time is right for a more direct "Use Font Awesome for all icons" issue to be opened. So here it is: MDL-40759

Picture of g k

First of all, this is a great theme. 

After upgrading to the latest version, all the icons (including the social media icons) do not display. I think someone may have mentioned it in another thread.

Picture of Gary Moncrieff

Hi Julian Many thanks for doing this. One weird issue when using Windows Phone to view the site is the menu turns to light silver with white text which is next to impossible to read. Have you any idea why this would be happening? Thanks Gary

Picture of Gary Moncrieff

I think the phone issue is the same as the IE9 issue as it is basically running IE9 but I have no way of testing as I am on IE11 now.

Picture of Colin Wheelhouse

Hi Julian, this is an amazing theme. I am afraid I am in the situation whereby my users require the frontpage to be three columns. Is this function only limited to the course pages?

Regards

Colin

Picture of g k

BTW....I upgraded to the latest version from within Moodle's administrative backend--plugins overview. Block icons and social media icons missing.

Julian Ridden

ARRGGGHHHH. I am so sorry everyone. The font-awesome got screwed up in this release as I did not properly test.

Updated version now in Github and in the plugins database called 2.5.2.1.

Thanks for the feedback.

As a grovelling plea for forgiveness I have also added in the update fix the ability to have blocks to the right of main content on the frontpage.

Julian

Picture of Gehrt Delius

Hello Julian,

using Google Fonts opens this theme to a wide range of fonts. I wanted to use other google fonts and replaced them in all necessary .css- and .php-files which is very easy, but it could perhaps be a lot easier:

Is it possible to modify your theme, so that there are only 1 or 2 locations left for changing a font?

Gehrt

Picture of philippe petitqueux
Re: Essential theme - 2.5.2 released - tabs broke

Hi Julian,

I've installed the latest release of Essential (2.5.2.1). It looks like I don't have no tabs showing anymore on any page.

Thanks.

Philippe

Picture of Eva Ignatuschtschenko

Hi Julian!

Love your theme! (But seems like everybody does ;) )

When I updated the theme just a few minutes ago, the black area on the frontpage on the bottom disappeared and it says "MAIN CONTENT GOES HERE - x9YqbNauQl".

Also, there seems to be a problem with the databases. I get an "Coding error detected" when I click on "templates"...

Hope you can help me with these problems!

Eva

Julian Ridden

Please grab the latest from Moodle_25 branch in Github. Should be fixed there. Let me know how you go. 

Julian

Frankie's the name, Moodle's my game!

Hi Julian

I knew a fix to the lost social networking icons and block icons was just a corner away! This works great. Just what the doctor ordered.  Still hoping that slide image number1 would not start off like Speedy Gonzalez.... smile

Two questions. How do I change the selected menu item background from blue to some other color (e.g., red)?

and how do I change the button colour from blue to ...say, red?

Frankie
P.S., am having fun customising the Marketing Spots. It's really easy to change the settings.

Picture of David Scotson
Try pasting this at the end of custom.css, for the menu hover:

.dropdown-menu > li > a:hover,
.dropdown-menu > li > a:focus,
.dropdown-submenu:hover > a,
.dropdown-submenu:focus > a {
  color: #ffffff;
  text-decoration: none;
  background-color: [[setting:themecolor]];
  background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top, [[setting:themecolor]], [[setting:themehovercolor]]);
  background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, 0 0, 0 100%, from([[setting:themecolor]]), to([[setting:themehovercolor]]));
  background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, [[setting:themecolor]], [[setting:themehovercolor]]);
  background-image: -o-linear-gradient(top, [[setting:themecolor]], [[setting:themehovercolor]]);
  background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, [[setting:themecolor]], [[setting:themehovercolor]]);
}

Buttons can't be done perfectly because Moodle's CSS variable replacement isn't as sophisticated as LESS, which Bootstrap uses, and can automatically generate different shades of a color. But you should be able to do something I think if you wrote some clever PHP in the theme to do the color transformations.

If you wanted to just do a simple button, like the "turn editing off" button in the screenshot, you'd need to copy'n'paste  (or edit) that bit from the custom.css (search for breadcrumb-button) to add the various buttons throughout moodle

input.form-submit,
input#id_submitbutton,
input#id_submitbutton2,
.path-admin .buttons input[type="submit"],
td.submit input

Picture of Bob Puffer

Should I expect to be seeing an html editor when adding a label?  I don't get it anywhere.  Have cleared all caches.  

FF 22  or Chrome 27

Mountain Lion

Essential 2.5.2.1 (Build: 20130718)

Moodle 2.5.1+ (Build: 20130712)

Picture of Joshua Bragg
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Just installed 2.5.2.1 from the Plugins directory and a couple oddities to report:

1. The language selector appeared in my menu at the top of the main page even though I've set it not to appear in my language settings.
  2. Noticed many of the gear icons got replaced by the icon-beaker from Font Awesome (side note from the chemist in me- Its an Erlenmeyer flask not a beaker).  I think the Gear was more intuitive...
  3. I'm not a fan of the new indentation scheme in the Administration Block and other places.  In a course administration section, it looks like Backup and Restore are subsections of the Badges menu...  My course sections in Navigation look like they are submenus of the Badges menu also...
  4. Some blocks are magically bouncing around from right to left even though I have not changed the new three column setting.  For example, the main Question Bank page and every Admin Page I've looked through so far.
  5. The layout on the Edit Quiz Page is still hard to work with.  (CONTRIB-4486)

Hi Julian,

I would like to try this kind of visual

But i have a trouble : I can't delte my icon !!

* read 'delete' no 'delte' approve

VERY strange.

After a lot of try whithout result (impossible to delete the 'logo'.png

today i try again (?) the logo file was not .png  surprise and it worwed ?! wide eyes

brief I'am happy big grin

Julian Ridden

I am pretty certain this is not an Essential bug. No-one else has reported issues and I have not been able to replicate it. Glad it finally worked for you.

Julian

Picture of Bob Puffer

Have blown away and reinstalled theme and am seeing far fewer (almost none) problems.  The issue I filed on github with the regionbsid is still present.

Picture of Gisele Brugger

I upgraded to the latest version of GIT ($plugin->release = '2.5.2.1 (Build: 20130718)';) and am having some error to edit any item or even try to access the page of site administration -> notifications

see
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0vy23qkbnL5ejZPVG4xZXVCMms/edit?usp=drivesdk

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0vy23qkbnL5SV9VMlItMHIwWlk/edit?usp=drivesdk

is an block error?

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

I just tried on the Moodle sandbox and got the same error (main content goes here) and not able to do anything.

CONTRIB-4494

Upgrade to 2.5.1 

My errors disappeared smile

Julian Ridden

Thanks for the report Gisele,

This issue is driving me a but mad. We are seeing numerous ppl reporting this, but majority don't have any issues at all.

I am running Moodle 2.5.1 and using the version in GITHUB, as per my screenshot attached, I cannot replicate your issue. Could you grab the latest from the Master branch and let me know how you go please.

Julian

Hello Julian

I installed today last version
See image

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0vy23qkbnL5QlFjZ2s2MVE3Y2s/edit?usp=drivesdk

But.. the error is present again 

I'm using moodle 2.5  (not 2.5.1)

I will upgrade moodle to 2.5.1  and return with news.

Thank you 

Hello Julian

EUREKA

The problem is version 2.5

I upgraded to 2.5.1 its now ALL OK

See notification page

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0vy23qkbnL5bUZhTWM1Y3dpTzQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

or here
http://giselebrugger.com/moodle/

Thank YOU

Julian Ridden

Phew! That's why I released an update smile

Glad it is working for yo now

Julian

Picture of Basilis Kranias
Απάντηση: Re: Essential theme - 2.5.2 released

There is an easier way for you to cancel these errors !!!

With the right tool (phpMyadmin) you open moodle database and after that you have to look  for the  mdl_config.(table)

There is a field named "theme" and you must change the "essential"  with  previous moodle theme's name.

After it, you must save this change in moodle database and you have to  wait a few hours until  server's update.

No errors after this !!!

Now Moodle have the previous theme.

I downloaded accessibility block

each time when i add or delete block on course I have this message.

(add & delete are operationals )

Gareth J Barnard
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Dear Jean-Marc,

That is an issue with the Accessibility block and not the Essential theme.  Please see the post of 'Roland SherwoodWed, 20 Mar 2013, 12:49 PM' on https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_accessibility where I suggest raising the issue smile

Cheers,

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

thank you a lot.

please I have a question suspent above can you take a look ? smile

jm

Gareth J Barnard

Dear Jean-Marc,

I suggest raising an issue here: https://github.com/marxjohnson/moodle-block_accessibility/issues - the stack trace seems similar to other open issues.

I currently do not know enough about it to devote free time to it.

Cheers,

Gareth

@Marx have no time now  ... I do with that ...ot I turn off this block  iwink

Picture of Sam Norman

Hi Julian,

Awesome theme, had a lot of great responses to it! 

One issue I have found is when I go to edit any text, the text editor sits in behind the blocks in the two right hand columns and is also indented from the left margin a long way (see image below). This is happening in Chrome and Firefox.  I'm also interested in aligning the menus rather than the indentation.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Sam Norman
www.7squadron.org.nz

theme error

Picture of Joshua Bragg
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

For the record, Julian where is your preferred location for bug reports? The tracker?  Github? Here? 

Two more bugs:

When a topic in a course is selected to be highlighted as the current topic there is no visual indicator of this.

For the second see this picture from the Question Bank Contents block on the quiz edditing page.

bug pic

Picture of Sam Norman

To add to this, it appears to be an issue throughout the theme as this also occurs when assigning roles.

Cheers,

Sam.

Julian Ridden

Best place to add bugs is always the tracker. Thanks for making me aware of this one. I have fixed this in the Master branch on github.

Julian

Picture of Seth Mengal

What happend to the slider? :/

Seems to be broken?

http://students.edequal.com

Picture of Bob Puffer

This theme is working well and likely will take us into 2013FA.  Wondering if the language on the button can be changed.  I locally customized the string 'readmore' cleared all my caches and it didn't change.  Made sure I had the right language selected and even tried from a browser that had never accessed the site before and it still didn't change?

Julian Ridden

Are you clearing the moodle theme cache or the language cache?

To see the changes to the language strings you will need to make sure it is your language cache that is cleared.

Julian

Picture of Bob Puffer

I'm purging all caches and clearing the theme cache and clearing the browser cache.

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Bob whenever you make changes to theme lang file or in moodle.php lange files you need to go to Language Packs and 'Update installed languages packs' which is at the foot of the installed language pack list.

After doing this you will see the changes. 

Hope this helps?

Mary

Picture of Bob Puffer

Thank you very much... I learned something new already today.

Picture of Bob Puffer

Chute, now that I updated installed language packs I still don't see a change?

Picture of Bob Puffer

Got to the bottom of this which involved clicking that last button, something like "commit your string changes to the language pack".

Thanks

Picture of Bob Puffer

If I was interested in reducing the slider's height by 1/3 would that be smart?  Reasonably simple?  How could this be done?

Julian Ridden

I am putting this down to a bit more difficult than you think. You will ned t change a fair few CSS calls to make it work.

In the theme settings for Essential you can type in additional CSS.

To change the height of the side you could use

.da-slider {
height: 200px
}

This will change the height, but you will notice that nothing really fits anymore. You wi also need to change the location of the "read me link" by using the following:

.da-slide .da-link {
top: 100px;
}

The image on the slide will also no longer fit. You can change it's height also by using:

.da-slide .da-img {
height: 130px
}

Now of course all my sizes may not be exactly what you are after. But now you know the key css elements you are working with you should be able to tinker with it from there.

Julian

Picture of Bob Puffer

Funny thing - I used these lines in the added css for the theme:

.da-slider {
height: 200px;
}

.da-slide .da-link {

top: 100px;
}

.da-slide .da-img {

line-height: 130px;
}

But no change.  Cleared browser, theme caches and purged all caches.  If I do this through firebug and set these values it looks just like what I'd want.  Is there some magic trick to get it to read what's in the General settings?

Picture of Bob Puffer

Well... I never fail to get stymied by css.  When I used the id #da-slider it kicked it down to 200px right away (after clearing theme cache).

Picture of Bob Puffer

Well based on my initial success calling out the id I finally came up with these settings:

#da-slider {height: 150px;}
#da-slider .da-slide {height: 130px;}
#da-slider .da-link {top: 110px;}
#da-slider .da-img {top: 10px;}
#da-slider .da-img img {vertical-align: top;}
#da-slider .da-slide h2 {top: 10px;}
#da-slider .da-slide p {top: 65px;}

Picture of Bob Puffer

Here's a dropdead issue for us... all other themes seems to open up to categories listing when clicking the arrow next to 'My courses' in the NAV block.  Essential has no arrow and takes user to 'My home' which we're trying to avoid like a plague.

Julian Ridden

I do not have an answer for you here. There is no code in the Essential theme that changes how this block functions. I do not ow why this would have changed for you except that the arrow icon should now look like a folder icon.

Julian

Picture of Bob Puffer

This is due to a loose nut behind the keyboard and has been fixed.

Julian Ridden

I have the urge to make some inappropriate joke about your loose nuts and have thought it probably not a good idea. :D Glad you sorted it.

Julian

Picture of Lisa Stevens

another *loose nut* here, can you tell me what I need to do to fix the 'My home/my courses' issue please?!?

Julian Ridden

The reason that the joke was made about the loose nut is that there is no issue with this block created by the theme. There is nothing to fix.

Julian

Picture of Lisa Stevens

Sorry, I realised not long after posting that it was just the way 2.5 works!

Working on 3 Moodle installs and they're all on different versions at the moment. Head. Hurts. smile

Picture of Bob Puffer

After relogin, coming back to the homepage leaves me with placeholders instead of pictures on the slideshow.  Going into slideshow settings I get this message:

Can not read file, either file does not exist or there are permission problems

Picture of Bob Puffer

Where does a theme store its settings? Obviously the file's not preseent -- what file is it looking for?  Is it hashed?  I should be able to find the hash in the db if I know the file name.

Gareth J Barnard

Dear Bob,

The theme settings are stored in the 'config_plugins' table.

Cheers,

Gareth

Picture of Bob Puffer

thanks but when I went there and looked for %essential% I came back empty

Julian Ridden

I can tell you that it is in the config_plugins table.

Look for the "theme_essential" as the definition in the plugin column.

Julian

Picture of Bob Puffer

I have uninstalled and reinstalled essential and got my slideshow page back but its empty so I'll have to rebuild

Picture of Nano A

Hi Julian,

Quick questions:

1. Home - 1 column?
    How can I make the content for the home page to expand to have the same width as the slider?  Same as your site News in this image you posted. ()

I would like to add available courses but it only stretches 2/3 of the space.

2. Content Area
    I would also like to be able to add an HTML block to the 'content' area.  Is this not possible?  The "content" area is not in the options; tried with Left but it doesn't work.  

3. Info between slider and marketing spots
    I know you answered this before, but I would like to ask if you could please consider making it possible to add a label (or HTML block) between the slideshow and the marketing spots (as you had in your iMoot site)
    The reason for this is that we have a main content we would like people to see, and then we'd like to market something else... not the other way around.
    The only workaround I have so far is either not showing the marketing spots or use the slideshow with only one element to showcase our main content.

Thanks for your help

Julian Ridden

In answer to your questions:

1. I am irking on this and struggling. I want the content area on the homepage to be dynamic; meaning that if you add a block to the left it will show, if you do not have a block the content will go full width. Hoping to have this sorted for next release.

2. Currently you cannot add blocks to the content area. If there is enough of a demand for it I would consider it. But for only one or two people it is too much work that would just upset everyone else.

3. I cannot add a label to this area. Maybe if t was a place a HTML block could go would be an option. Again, I would need to investigate this It is not on the roadmap at present as you have been the only one asking for it.

Julian

Picture of Nano A

Thanks for your reply Julian.

I understand, and thanks so much for doing a fantastic job on this theme.

I will be moving 2 of my Moodle websites to Essential soon so I will try to address my needs somehow.

Point 1) This one is important, and I'm happy to know you are already working on a solution smile

Point 2)  I completely understand and I'm not asking for a customised version just for me (without offering to pay you for your work hehe)

I was searching though the database and saw that there are some tables that save each block position.  I tried to modify it but I couldn't yet find the exact spot where I need to make the change for this specific block to move to where I want.

Quick questions:  

a) Do you know if it can be done this way?  

b) Do you anticipate any problems if I just hack into the DB and change the value manually?

c) any hints on what is the table that saves the values of the blocks in the home page?

Point 3) Label, HTML Block... it's the same I think as both can have HTML and CSS applied smile

Again, thanks so much for your help and for making such a beautiful theme!

Nano

Picture of g k

Hello Julian,

Is there a place within the theme settings where the duration of the first slide in the slide show can be increased? Currently, the 1st slide appears for a split second and disappears.  The slideshow continues after this.

Julian Ridden

No there is not. This is a known bug still looking for a fix.

Julian

Picture of Inés Arias de Reyna

I want to thank Julian his great work. The theme is amazing.

I have just a quick question.

It occurred to me change position of the navigation block of the center area to footer on the home pageI realized that I prefer it to be in the center area but now I do not get change it. Is there any way to do this?

Many thanks for the help.

Regards,
Inés

Picture of Christian Conradi

I also want to thank Julian his great work. The theme is fantanstic. I am a teacher in germany and i want to make our moodle much cooler. Can I change the "Read more" to an other text? 

Christian

Julian Ridden

Yes you can change this text. in fact all text used in this theme can be changed by going into your Admin language menu and using the customise language option. In fact, if you would like to help by providing german translations for the existing strings I would be very happy to include them as part of the theme.

Julian

Average of ratings:Useful (2)

Thanks!!

I don' t know if I'm able to translate it. What must I do?

Christian

Picture of David Scotson
This is the English file:

https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/lang/en/theme_essential.php

and there's one for Spanish:

https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/lang/es/theme_essential.php

If you copy the english one to lang/de/theme_essential.php and then change all the English terms on the right-hand-side to German you should start to see changes (though I think you need to purge caches first?).

Average of ratings:Useful (2)

I will try it!

If I am ready. Who get the German file?

I need perhaps one Day.

Christian

Julian Ridden

I just sent you a message through the Moodle site with my email.

Vielen dank zum Übersetzen meinem theme.

Julian

Picture of KEVIN ODEKIRK

Julian, 

Really, REALLY great stuff. I think this will end up being my main production site soon. 

Just one thing. I seem to be able to pull blocks down into the "admin view only area" but I'm not able to return them. Even going into the "edit blocks" are and checking the boxes to allow it to be visible on all pages simply doesn't seem to work. Any tips? 

I wouldn't put it past me to screw something up. 

Thanks so much for your help. 

Kevin 

Picture of Inés Arias de Reyna

I have the same problem

Picture of Lisa Stevens

I'm also having this problem. The move icons [the chevron up and down] appear for a second and then disappear so you can't use them.

Toshimi

I updated the latest Essential theme (2013072100) on Moodle 2.5.1+(build:20130726). 

The icons were changed differently. What was happened on my theme?

Icons were changed

I purged all all cache, and turned APC cache off, but no changed.

Picture of Seth Mengal

These are the new icons! smile Dont worry. They work pretty good.

Julian Ridden

The Essential theme uses Font Awesome to override some of Moodle's Admin icons. Don't stress. That is the way it is meant to work. smile

Julian

Picture of Manuel Lupiañez

Hi, the theme is great!!!

i can not see the images in the theme.

show a screenshot.

Tks

Not me

Are you using Chrome and trying to display the theme using a URL e.g.

/index.php?theme=essential

If so try IE8-10 and you'll see it.  It's a bug with Moodle.  If you set the theme then it will display the icons correctly...

Picture of Bob Puffer

So... one thing I'm not quite getting with the theme -- when I access my site from my Note II phone I get 'Blocks', 'Settings', 'Home' buttons across the top.  Tapping 'Home' gives me a pop-up with radio buttons for 'Navigation' and 'Home'.  Choosing either one does absolutely nothing.  I seem completely unable to get to the NAV block, even if I go to 'Blocks', don't get the 'NAV' block but just the 'Navigation' button which tapping repeats the above useless exercise.

Julian Ridden

That sounds like the "MyMobile" theme, not Essential. Have you got a mobile theme set?

Julian

Picture of Bob Puffer

You're right... cached a different theme.

The slideshow doesn't scale for phones.  Is that expected behavior?

Picture of Chris Kenniburg

I am having a quiz editing screen issue.  When I show the question bank it now pushes the quiz down the page.  Normally when you show the question bank it appears to the right of the quiz.  I am assuming this is a css issue.  See attached.

I have found that if I cghange the #page-mod-quiz-edit div.quizcontents width to 68% instead of 70% everything lines up as expected using live preview and firebug.  

However I cannot find in any css file for the theme where I can make this change.

For anyone else who is having this slight issue, add this to the custom CSS:

#page-mod-quiz-edit div.quizcontents {
clear: left;
display: block;
float: left;
width: 68%;
}

Seems to fix it for me.

Julian Ridden

Thanx for sharing this. My testing also shows this to work. I am releasing 2.5.3 very shortly and will make sure your fix is part of the next release. It is in  Gitub now.

Picture of Shaun Daubney

Really love the work you've done on this theme. I've borrowed some inspiration from your block icons and put it into mine. The use of Font Awesome is a great move. I've put my Aardvark on a serious diet thanks to that little gem.

Julian Ridden

Thanks for the feedback Shaun.

I have loved Aardvark for many years. Your work on Aardvark in many ways is what prompted me to try and make something professional looking to share back to the community. Borrow as many ideas as you like smile

Julian

Picture of Lou Rosenberg

Greetings.  First of all, I love this theme - it's exactly what Moodle needed.  But...I'm having an issue.  I'm getting the following error message when attempting to install any another plugin or theme.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Picture of David Scotson
I think you can remove the theme entirely, then click "reload" which will allow you to upgrade the other item, then you can add the theme back in.

But the reason your getting the error is that you're replacing a version from 21st July 2013 with an older version from 18th July. Are you intending to do that?

Picture of Bob Puffer

Running 20130730 and finding in the course if I remove the last block from the left column of blocks I cannot get a block to ever go back into the left column.

Picture of Bob Puffer

This is likely only my problem because we use a particular dark color of blue for our theme color.  What happens though is that links are then created in that color and they just blend in with the normal black text, not really noticeable until hovered over.  Can we have a unhovered link color added?

EDIT: this appears to only take place in content that comes out of the editor. Resolved the problem with this little bit of css:

a, a:visited {color: #0C67D7;}

This went into production last night and many good comments.

I have two suggestions/comments that I have not seen asked in this forum:

• Can we activate and use a dock feature? 

• Can we move the homepage blocks to the left side if we are not using the right column blocks and utilizing the traditional moodle layout?  This is mainly for consistency issues where the navigation and admin blocks appear on the right for the homepage and left for course pages if you use the traditional layout and not the right columns.

Julian Ridden

Hi Chris, In regards to the Dock, this is not a theme issue but a current restriction with Moodle. Once fixed in core then this theme will be updated as well.

In relation to the frontpage block location, I think I may have to make this yet another setting. Many want it on the left and others on the right. It i shard for me to find one answer that makes everyone happy. Of course you can do what I do and have the admin block and navigation in the right hand column for all pages. In short, no exact answer to that one yet.

Julian

Picture of Shadiya Muchikkal

Hi Julian,

Have you made the 'another setting' mentioned yet? I need to change position of navigation block on the front page. Please help. Thank you.

Picture of Christian Thompson
IE9 Display Issue

First, AMAZING job, Julian.  Truly outstanding!  Thank you so much for your hard work on this theme.

We have noticed a display issue on IE9; the color does not appear on the bar at the top.  See the screenshot below.  This is from the current master from github as of this post.

Not sure if it is a problem on our end or an IE issue.  Any thoughts? Anybody else have the same issue?

Thank you again!

Re: IE9 Display Issue

Hello Christian,

I am noticing this menu issue too with IE9.  With IE v10 it seems to work as expected.  I have not tested with IE 7 or 8 but I would imagine a disaster.  We tell people to use anything but IE.

Julian Ridden
Re: IE9 Display Issue

I have finally found the issue for the bad rendering of the Custom Menu in IE8 and IE9. The fix will be rolled out in the new release of "essential" in the next few hours. Keep a look out for the announcement.

Julian

Picture of Fredrik Karlsson

Hi,

Thanks for this theme. It has a great design. I got an error message in Essential Theme saying:

"[MAIN CONTENT GOES HERE - aahP2JCZQ6]"

Fredrik (Sweden)

Picture of Mesut Güngör

i can translate the theme into Turkish

Julian Ridden

Thank you for the offer. I would love to see Essential in Turkish.

Julian

Picture of Mesut Güngör

You can find the Turkish Lang File in the attachment

Julian Ridden

Thankyou for sharing. Ill upload this into the GitHub Version now.

Julian

Picture of Mesut Güngör

Hi Julian the lang directory name should be tr not tk. Thanks.

Picture of Bob Puffer

We've encountered a bit of a three-alarm issue.  Using Essential theme 

students are unable to access questions for a questionnaire.  They get what looks like the regular link but there is really no link there at all.  This is not a problem with the same students accessing the same questionnaire using Clean.  What's quite a bit more odd is that I can access the questions as Admin.

This is a particularly big deal for us as we use the questionnaire module for course evaluations which means that every course on my Moodle site (1,200+) has one or more questionnaires that need to be accessed by students 

Julian Ridden

Sorry Bob. I have to draw a line here.

Essential is built and tested against all core Moodle modules. There is no way that I have the time to test with every possible third party plugin. The fact this happens only in questionnaire suggests an issue in that plugins styling.

Options moving forward would be to either:

1. Use the built in Feedback module which is tested and working
  2. Find the bug and post me the patch. I am happy to include it. Just don't have the time to investigate and implement myself

Hopefully you understand why I have to draw a line here. Starting down the path of testing and patching for every third party plugin will open flood gets that I lack the power to close.

Julian

Picture of Bob Puffer

Here's what Firebug looks like when its a student logged in:

There is no link, the <a> tags have been stripped but the text between the <a> tags (which occurs nowhere else) still displays.

Here's what it looks like when I'm logged in as an Admin and what it should look like (and does) under all the other bootstrap themes:

I'm sorry, Julian, I greatly respect the work you've done but I think this is the wrong place to draw the line.  The issue occurs in questionnaire/view.php (version 2013062401) on line 131 where it reads:

if ($questionnaire->questions) { // Sanity check.

echo '<a href="'.$CFG->wwwroot.htmlspecialchars('/mod/questionnaire/complete.php?'.

'id='.$questionnaire->cm->id).'">'.$complete.'</a>';

}

There is no other place in the Questionnaire module where $complete (which, in english = 'Answer the questions' ) occurs inside of a link. With Essential $complete is displayed but the link is not present.  WIth everything else, the link works and therefore the questionnaire module works.

I understand your hesitancy to respond to third-party modules but being that questionnaire works with every other bootstrap-based theme leads me to believe that the problem is not in questionnaire.  If you look at the history of the discussion between Feedback and Questionnaire you'll realize that the fact that Feedback is included (though turned off by default) in Moodle core is a total fluke.  For at least three years there's been serious? discussion about merging the two or coming up with an entirely different module with the same capabilities.  I feel very solid in challenging ANYBODY to rate Feedback equal to Questionnaire after having used both extensively.

For obvious reasons mentioned in my earlier post, this is a deal-breaker for us.

Picture of David Scotson
Is the topmost image the one you meant to post? From your text it sounds like the phrase "Answer the questions" should be visible (even if not a link) but I con't see it.

Have you tried turning all the debug messages up to full? It might provide some clues at the point where the text fails to display.

Picture of Bob Puffer

I displayed the topmost image because it shows firebug's content when I select the element, "Answer the questions..." when logged in as a student.  I assure you that the words actually display on the screen but they are not a link to anything.  The next image is same element selected in firebug when logged in as admin, the link is as it should be.  I've turned debug up to developer and get nothing.

Picture of Bob Puffer

Couple more clues:

• While I wasn't sleeping last night I got the wise idea maybe my custom css was getting in the way so I removed all, purged everything but alas, no luck
  • upgraded to the latest  with a version of 20130806 but no luck there either
  • as an admin there are two links presented; one for 'Answer the questions' and below it 'View xxx responses'.  Under essential the 'View xxx responses' fails to become a link just like 'Answer the questions' does for a student -- maybe its a 'last' thing
  • I don't have the problem with Clean or Shoelace.

Picture of Bob Puffer

I have resolved what this problem is.  On the questionnaire pages I removed all blocks from displaying.  By doing so, somehow, with the essential theme only, it disallows the last link on the list under the questionnaire heading (if there's one above it, that works).  'Answer the questions..." is above 'View xxx responses' for an admin so 'View' isn't a link and 'Answer' is for admin.   'Answer' is the only link for students so it's not a link.  Redisplaying the blocks corrects the problem.

However, this is what the blocks look like on the questionnaire in the essential theme only:

Here I'm logged in as a student but they look the same logged in as an admin.

Picture of Eva Ignatuschtschenko

Hi Julian!

Just updated the Essential plugin. A lot of the issues were fixed that I had before, but now I cannot edit anything as admin, I get "Main content goes here" screens for most/all of the Site administration settings - including the Essential theme settings (I have not tried all, but looks like all settings don't work). Would you have an idea why that happens?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Picture of Harmony Hunt

Hi  moodle  new be here,  I have 1.9 and somehow my default themes are showing  error 404    and  pics showing a box with an x in it  do you make themes for 1.9.19

any advice  is welcomed

Picture of Vernon Spain

Hi harmony,

First advice.. Upgrade to 2.5

Failing that..You will find the 1.9 themes here:

https://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?id=6552

Regards,

Vernon

Picture of Bob Puffer

Interested in displaying all gradebook pages without blocks.  Asked the question in the General Developer forum but then went into the essential theme and see that the report.php shows with no blocks.  How would I get the gradebook pages to use that file?