Moodle - Google Apps integration newbie

Moodle - Google Apps integration newbie

by Frankie Kam -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi!

Has anyone successfully integrated Google Apps with their Moodle 2.5 with Single Sign On
I'm fascinated by the challenge, but after 2 hours of googling around, am beating a hasty retreat! If anyone has any easy-to-follow steps of instructions for his newbie, I would be much appreciated.

Frankie Kam

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frankie Kam

Re: Moodle - Google Apps integration newbie

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Frankie,

I have used the Moodle/Google SSO since 1.9.  I have since upgraded to 2.1, 2.3 (via 2.2) and now 2.4.  The setup has not really changed since 1.9.  It is the integration package on the Moodle side that has changed with each version.  I noticed when I downloaded the 2.4 package, that a version for 2.5 has been released.  My first question for you is, Do you know if you are using the correct package?  If yes, the setup instructions in the docs should work.  For me, the certificate generation was the most challenging.  I had never done it before.

In reply to Frankie Kam

by David Morrow -

I have posted a related question in another topic in this forum. We had SSO between Moodle and Google Apps working in 2.4, but something has happened to stop the creation of new accounts using the Google User Sync block since we upgraded to 2.5.

This issue aside, the setup wasn't too bad - and the process of creating new users in Google Apps and the SSO worked really well. I basically followed the published instructions, with a few needed modifications (that I found by doing the same kind of reading that you've been doing). Fairly small changes, really. I won't bother you with details now, because, evidently, I'm doing something wrong for the 2.5 environment - and I don't want to hobble your installation! I think I've bookmarked the sites from which I got information to fix the few problems and can pass those along.

Please post your results if you move forward!

David

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Mike Feist -

Yes, I have Google Apps/Google User Sync working with Moodle 2.5.X

I used the Moodle 2.4 Google Apps setup guide detailed above which worked fine on Moodle 2.4.2. I then upgraded to Moodle 2.5 which broke the integration and I then had to employ a workaround to fix the issue.

Details here:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=233070