Turning evaluation quizzes into practice ones after they've been graded

Turning evaluation quizzes into practice ones after they've been graded

by Cris Fuhrman -
Number of replies: 1

I created 10+ multiple-choice quizzes to motivate students to do readings, with a limited number of tries, with the best grade counting for a small part of their grade. Now I am at the end of the semester and the students have asked if they can "practice" the material by re-taking the quizzes (not for a grade) to prepare for the final exam. That sounds reasonable to me, so I'm willing to do it if Moodle supports this "use case" easily.

What's the easiest way to transform a quiz that's used for evaluation into one that can be used for practice? I thought of two ways, but would rather bounce the ideas off the people in the forum rather than experiment in my class with 50+ students:

• Option A: Export the grades of the quizzes, change the parameters of the quiz to be unlimited number of tries and not to count for a grade.
  • Option B: Duplicate each of the quizzes, changing the parameters of the quiz to be unlimited number of tries and not to count for a grade.

I'm using Moodle 2.5

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cris Fuhrman

Re: Turning evaluation quizzes into practice ones after they've been graded

by Ian Hunt -

I was Moodle for two classes, with 700+ and 400+ students. We use Moodle quizzes in a similar way to what you ask. 

We have non-graded, try as many times as you like, from anywhere "practice self assessments" which students use to help prepare of the graded, single attempt, in class and time limited (50 min) "assignments". They write 5 or 6 assignments across the semester. The structure of the two item types are similar (i.e. drawing from the same pools etc).

We also have the "final exam prep" and all I did there was create another quiz that selected questions randomly from all the pools in the whole course rather than the subsections that the other materials use. A good case for a good structure of your question database.

So we essentially use your option B and it has been working fine for us.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)