What does visible groups do to a quiz

What does visible groups do to a quiz

by Marcus Green -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What does the visible groups setting do for a quiz (in the common module settings area at the end of the editinf form)?. I understand no groups and separate groups but I don't understand visible groups. The help page at

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Common_module_settings

says

All students submits their assignment within a single Assignment area but may choose which Group to associate their submission with before uploading. Teachers/trainers can sort submissions by Group or view All Participants.

But there seems to option for choosing your group when submitting a quiz.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcus Green

Re: What does visible groups do to a quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In the quiz, group mode only affects the reports. The difference between separate and visible groups becomes relevant when you edit the Non-editing teacher role, and remove the 'Access all groups' capability.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

My understanding with visible v separate groups was that with visible groups students could see which other groups were taking the assignment but that  (assuming they are only in one group) they can't choose which group to associate their submission with as it will automatically go to their only group.  I guess if they are in two groups then they can select which one- I haven't tried that with quiz so can't comment. But when  get a chance (I am at a Moodle Moot at the moment) I will go and try it out and edit the documentation where/if appropriate

In reply to Marcus Green

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Visible groups comes into effect with collaborative activities like forums.  If you use visible groups with a forum, students can see posts from all groups' forums but can only post to their own group.

With separate groups, students cannot see the posts from other groups.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It might be good if there was a way of setting the Visible groups option in the Quiz to be a sub/hidden/advanced option because I suspect that for most people it is just a confusing distraction. I have been wondering what it meant for years.