Installation help

Upgrade Moodle and keep existing Apache

Picture of Douglas Broad
Upgrade Moodle and keep existing Apache

Trying to upgrade from 2.4 to 2.4.5.  I have Apache 2.2 with 2 websites: Moodle and my own inside the htdocs folder.  Is there any way to download a moodle package that doesn't require uninstalling the Apache server and then reinstalling it?  The download package includes the Apache webserver but not TomCat and Mercury and FileZilla that are typically included with XAMPP from the Apache Friends.

Average of ratings: -
Gmads
Re: Upgrade Moodle and keep existing Apache
Group Testers

Hi Douglas,

You do not need to uninstall your web server.

You just need to backup everything (moodledata, moodle database and moodle directory)m rename your original moodle folder, download the 2.4.5 package, uncompress it in your htdocs folder and browse to your moodle address. The upgrade process will take a few minutes.

For more info: Upgrading documentation.

Picture of Douglas Broad

Thanks Guillermo,

The download package had a top level folder called server and lots of internals.  The server folder contains apache and mysql folders along with moodle which looks to me like a gift wrapped Apache/Moodle package.  There were moodle folders inside the mysql\data folders as well.   So it's a little challenging to figure out what folders to move where.  Installation instructions are a little brief on those points.

Since its just a test bed for my work, I'll give it a go tomorrow and if it doesn't work I'll just replace the web server.  I was hoping for a batch file or an installer to automatically copy the new folders.

Gmads
Group Testers

Hi Douglas,

As it is a test environment, you only need to worry about the moodle installation folder under htdocs:

server
    apache
        htdocs
            moodle
    mysql
        data
            moodle
    php

That moodle folder is the one that you need to rename, and at the same place unpack the new moodle package.

The other moodle folder is where the moodle database (MySQL) files are.

Picture of Douglas Broad

Thanks for that visual. I did try for several hours and got close but I couldn't log back in so gave up and created a new moodle database and new moodledata folder.  Its working now and it will give me more practice in setting up from scratch.  Perhaps next time it will work.