General help

Picture of Bonnie Mioduchoski
Moodle 2.4 What activity would be good for a daily student log

Hi! I'd like to have an activity for students to log their daily practice sessions for a year-long program. I was wondering about the attendance module but I've never seen it or used it. Or assignment / database? This would be between student and teacher only. It would be to capture this information:

• Day & Time (entered by student)
  • Any notes the student wants to add
  • Length of practice period (optional but nice)
  • Day and time (recorded in Moodle)
Day Time Length of Sit Notes

Not needed but it would be cool if the student could see how many minutes / hours they spent practicing through a report, etc.  This would not be a required daily activity but participation would be monitored by a teacher. Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas!

Average of ratings: -
Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC
Re: Moodle 2.4 What activity would be good for a daily student log
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Bonnie,

Have you considered the Moodle Journal?  It is a plugin, https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_journal

Other options are:

1. A Wiki (standard Moodle) configured as individual wiki  - each student has a private wiki viewable only by the student and the instructor.  The History feature of a wiki is good to track entries and edits.
  2. The OU Wiki, a plugin, has a few additional features such as an option for instructor comments.

There are probably other ways to configure a forum, database or glossary, but that would be very difficult compared to the above options.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

Thank you, Floyd! I was thinking of Wiki as you and Paula suggested but can't seem to figure out how to get a table in there. I paste it but then it disappears. Any tips? Thank you!!!

Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC

Bonnie,

I recommend using the OUWiki, which has to be added as a plugin, instead of the standard Moodle Wiki.  

In the standard Moodle Wiki, you have to manually add the template/table to each student's wiki.  I've done that by creating the template/table in the teacher's wiki, then doing a copy/paste into the other individual wikis.  If you have trouble, copy/paste the source code instead of the editor text.

If you use the OUWiki, you create the template/table in another wiki, then download that as a template file (go to Wiki Index).  Then create the wiki you want students to use and upload the template file for that wiki (there is an upload section in the wiki setup page).

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Floyd

Thank you, Floyd! I appreciate your detailed steps. approve

Picture of Rob Johnson

I really like the OUblog set to individual blogs and visibility set to private.  Those settings make OUblog a journal visible only to the teacher and student.

paula

Bonnie,

You could use the database for this. If you set it up with approval needed and then don't approve any of the entries only the poster and the teacher can see the  entries.  If you change your mind and want the students to share their progress, it's just a simple change in the settings. 

You might also use a table in a Wiki that students fill in. You could use the individual wiki and set up the table for the students to add to their page.  Depending on the age/skills of the students it's fairly easy after you get the table set up in a Moodle edit screen to save the html code and have the students paste it into the html in their wiki page.

Paula cool

Hi Paula, these are adults so it sounds doable. When you say they could add it to their page, could you say more? I'm not familiar with this. Would it be on their profile page?

paula

Bonnie,

In answer to your question. In the individual Wiki, each user sets up their own first page.  If you want that first page to have the same format, you can set up all the format  and have the students put it in.  If you are doing anything fancy, like adding tables, etc. just copying and pasting something in won't always work.  We did this for a Chemistry course that had a chart that was to be filled in by students.  We built what we wanted on our page, then went to the HTML button on the end of the text editor and copied all the code. We then saved it as text doc in Note Pad (don't use Word it adds more code) and posted it with the assignment.  When students made their first page, they could copy the code out of the text doc into the HTML area of their page and they all had exactly the same format.

See the attached file and try it yourself. This message with a table at the bottom.

Thank you, Paula! And thank you for the sample. That helps!!

Picture of Bob Puffer

Questionnaire works great for this kind of thing.  You can set it to 'respond many', 'respond weekly' or 'respond daily'.

Wow - thanks everyone. Very helpful. I'm going to try with the various options you've all suggested. So far Bob's sounds the simplest to me. I'll try with that first. Thanks moodlers! approve